.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 29th, 2004, 02:03 AM

Private

Knight of Dol Amroth is on a distinguished road
Default Overpriced?

I downloaded the Demo and really like the game....but then I went to the site and saw the price IT is a lot for a game with graphics like that...the gameplay is good..but I dont know if its worth 50 bucks and shipping.

Anyone else think so?

If anyone knows of a place to buy it cheaper...or Wants to sell theirs on Ebay or something...I have checked but nothign.
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:24 AM

Private

Andy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Overpriced?

you've said yourself that you really like it - when you buy a game are you buying it to play or to look at?

I just ordered Dom II a second time (for a friend) and it cost me approximately AU$69 (including international shipping). any new-release PC game will cost me AU$99 if I buy it locally (I'm in Australia) which makes Dom II a bargain IMHO.

if I were accustomed to paying much less for my games I guess I'd have to look at how much gameplay I was getting. Dom II is my favourite game of 2003 so to me that would justify paying more for it than other releases.
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:41 AM

Every couple of days it's Deja Vu.

The Search button in the upper right hand side and do a "Worth $" or "Reviews" or anything of that nature will give you a huge mass of Posts about peoples opinions of the game.
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:42 AM

Corporal

Unwise is on a distinguished road

Silly to have a poll of this type here, don't you think?

It's like going to the Democratic convention and asking whether people think Bush should be re-elected.
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:55 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If you like strategy games this is the one being discussed heavily in all the strategy newsGroups. IF you can get past the learning curve then this game will live on your machine for years. Far longer than other "fancier" games of the same price. But I can understand why some people would consider graphics/sound/interface/direc-control to be important things. Have you checked out XBox?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Sergeant

Catquiet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight of Dol Amroth:

If anyone knows of a place to buy it cheaper...or Wants to sell theirs on Ebay or something...I have checked but nothign.
Make sure you buy your game from a reliable source, if you get a pirated copy you won't be able to play with the new patch. Read the thread below.

Help-Serial Number-Patch 2.06 Thread
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Gandalf, can you make a sticky "Dominions 2 is worth its price" !
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PDF:
Gandalf, can you make a sticky "Dominions 2 is worth its price" !
*whining voice* You might not be totally serious but I just removed some stickies because I thought there were too many. I was only brave enough to remove ones that seemed clearly redundant. Cant we add it to the newbies FAQ instead? We should be trying to get them to read those anyway.

I would hate to see a sticky appear for every Frequently Asked Question. Maybe we need a sticky that says READ THIS FIRST and put links to some of the larger re-occuring subjects.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:44 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Gandalf,
I wasn't serious
And you're right, stickies filling all the screen aren't pleasant. BTW you could remove some - or rather group some- of all those dealing with various demo/tech problems (demo d/l, doesn't work with this or that weird platform, crappy fps with obscure graphics card ..).
Else a tech forum shouldn't be a bad idea neither
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:07 PM

Captain

sachmo is on a distinguished road

The game is worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it, just like everything else in life.

I don't mind the extra $10 too much, since I am a staunch supporter of the smaller development shops. If this is the price they need to charge to pay the bills and keep working on this incredible game, then I'll pay it. It appears that many other people are, too. If you can't afford it now, save your pennies. It is worth it.