.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 4th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Private

Andy is on a distinguished road
Default Humans vs. AI multiplayer setup?

I want to play with a friend allied against a bunch of AI-controlled pretenders - is it possible to set the game up so it will recognize our victory when (if) we kill them all?
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Humans vs. AI multiplayer setup?

No sorry. But the only thing you wont get is a victory screen. The scoreboard will show when you 2 are the Last ones in the game so you will still know when you have won.

I like those kindof games too. Im working on a couple of maps which will be designed for making alliances an absolute necessity.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Private

Andy is on a distinguished road

that's a shame - I wonder if preset alliances might be a feature that could be patched in...
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Sergeant

Targa is on a distinguished road

Need a feature request: #victorycondition (no AI nations left alive)
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy:
that's a shame - I wonder if preset alliances might be a feature that could be patched in...
Actually they are in but at the moment they only work as ways to have the AIs allied while designing a map. Even then they only keep the AIs from attacking each other and Im not sure I would want that to be game enforced.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:50 AM

BANNED USER

Merry Jolkar is on a distinguished road

I understand that Gandalf (and possibly others?) have created maps that allow players to team up against the A.I. Where can I find these? I would like to play such a game to give myself and three other newbie players a chance to learn the basics. Thanks! Merry
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:30 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Merry Jolkar:
I understand that Gandalf (and possibly others?) have created maps that allow players to team up against the A.I. Where can I find these? I would like to play such a game to give myself and three other newbie players a chance to learn the basics. Thanks! Merry
http://www.dom2minions.com

[ April 22, 2004, 01:31: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:37 AM

BANNED USER

Merry Jolkar is on a distinguished road

Thank you, Gandalf. Where is the best place to learn how to make such a map? I'd like to, say, edit the Middle Earth map, and have Ermor play the role of Sauron, against myself and three friends. Is it pretty straightforward?

(sorry to double post --I asked a similar question elsewhere...)
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:09 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Thank you, Gandalf. Where is the best place to learn how to make such a map? I'd like to, say, edit the Middle Earth map, and have Ermor play the role of Sauron, against myself and three friends. Is it pretty straightforward?
As easy or as hard as you want it to be.

There is a MAPedit.pdf and a MODedit.pdf in the dominions2/docs directory. Glance at those until you are completely confused. Then look at some of the .map files in the maps dir, and any .dm files in the mod dir if you have downloaded any. You can get great example of both from the www.illwinter.com web site. Looking at how some of those are done usually makes things pretty clear.

You might also want to use the "search" thing in the upper right of this screen since there are a couple of threads about making a middle earth scenario.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:07 AM

Corporal

Firebreath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe I missunderstand, but if you're looking for a map that you can play with a friend against one or two computer opponents, then that's easy...just pick a small default map (aran for example), and set the number of players to 3, you, your friend and one easy computer player...One way or another, you and your friend will be able to gang up on the computer...

If all you want to do is learn the game though, all this isn't necessary, just do the walkthrough thing, and go on from there. You'll do just fine