.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 12th, 2004, 02:31 AM

Private

Andy is on a distinguished road
Default early game expansion tactics

based on my limited PBEM experience to date I don't seem to be expanding fast enough to be competitive.

I'm using pretender to lead my main army but after taking each province this means they're sitting idle for a turn while I search for hidden magic sites

is this how most people play? I suppose I could hire a commander for my army and use my pretender purely for sniffing out magic sites, but this seems to be a waste of a powerful combat advantage.

any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:41 AM

Default Re: early game expansion tactics

That is a loaded question Andy .

I can only say a few things that will help you with the advise you may soon be recieving.

Post your Pretender and Paths.
Post your Nation/Theme.
Post your Scales.
Post your Dominion/Castle.
Post your Research goals.

All of these impact greatly your early expansion with the choices you make for it both in magic and production.

You Go GoneGoldGirl!
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:50 AM

Private

really?

I'd have thought basic expansion techniques were universal. my first mistake I guess.

Pretender and Paths: Great Mother, 4xNature 4xEarth
Nation/Theme : Pangaea (no theme)
Scales: +1 Fortune
Dominion/Castle: Castle
Research goals: none specific, obviously I need Nature & Earth-friendly schools though.
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:55 AM

Corporal

aldin is on a distinguished road

Generically speaking, the leader of your first army shouldn't be stopping to search until you've at least expanded your borders a bit. This is really a decision you want to make when you're creating the pretender - what is their role? If it's combat, plan on searching other ways (or not at all) at least for a while.

~Aldin
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aldin:
Generically speaking, the leader of your first army shouldn't be stopping to search until you've at least expanded your borders a bit. This is really a decision you want to make when you're creating the pretender - what is their role? If it's combat, plan on searching other ways (or not at all) at least for a while.

~Aldin
Unless of course your research strategy includes a specific gem income. Important for nations that utilize national summons or speedresearch conjuration/enchantment/construction for suppliments to their national army types.
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:01 AM

Well depending on how comfortable you are with sending your Great Mother into combat and how quickly you intend to research Conjuration/Construction, you are more than likely in a rough spot.

Your scales don't produce an exceptional amount of gold, so you are going to be limited on some of your choices. I have a personal distaste for the satyr hoplites, as they are slow and in your current production state, hard to produce. I much prefer Centaur Warriors, as they have a high survivability as well as mobility. Plus they have stealth to break enemy lines, cause unrest and wreak havok on economies.

What initial Indep strength are you fighting in?

Edit: With your nation and Pretender, I would use a Heirophant to lead your armies (if he's your prophet) or a Dryad (who is your prophet). Until your Earth Mother is equipped or has the spell capability to make her less prone to danger, she can search your land, while your armies take independants.

[ February 12, 2004, 01:08: Message edited by: Zen ]
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:07 AM

Private

I've been using my Great Mother as a combat leader - generally she casts a couple of spells then charges into the fray

currently playing with this setup in four PBEM games and all my solo endeavours - independants ranging from strength 3 to 6
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:19 AM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road

To my mind your starting strategy really depends on how you're going to play the game - specifically whether you're going to be a physically or magically powerful nation. If you are going to need lots of gems sometimes it's ok to expand more slowly (like you are doing, searching each province as you conquer it). On the other hand if your main strength is going to be your recruited armies you probably want to give gem searching a back seat.

Early expansion does seem to be pretty important, so unless you have some definite goal for what you want to do with your gems, I would say focus on expansion.
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:19 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Set the independents higher. The AI does better against weak AIs, a smart player picking his battles can be better against strong ones.

Also try leaving out Ermor, Atlantis, Rlyeh, Abyssia, Caelum
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:30 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

I find that the use of excessive force is very useful in early expansion. Yes, you could probably take a province with, say, the army you have now....but that would involve a higher loss ratio. Squashing them with excessive force will minimize your losses from attrition, and will allow your army to keep on rolling longer. After all, anything worth doing is worth doing with excessive force.

As a rule of thumb, if there is any doubt in your mind over whether or not you can squash the puny rebels, you need more force.

[ February 12, 2004, 02:31: Message edited by: Norfleet ]