.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 19th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Corporal

Darryl is on a distinguished road
Default Jervellan Wall??

Ok, I just started a game and found the Jervellan Wall. It has no description, so I searched the Boards and there's nothing. I looked in Sunray's site list and it's there, but the only ability it seems to have is "building". No gems, no troops, no effects. Does this site do anything or is it just "fluff"?

Darryl
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Corporal

geo981010 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jervellan Wall??

You get a free castle, albeit a very low admin and virtually defenseless one. If you already started another castle however, you don't even get that
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:58 AM

Defenseless? I thought it had 500 Defense. But I had to delete my game that I Found one so I may be wrong. Though it does have 0 Admin, which is very nice since it usually appears right by one of your castles.
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by geo981010:
You get a free castle, albeit a very low admin and virtually defenseless one. If you already started another castle however, you don't even get that
Great. It's in a location that I started building a castle 2 turns ago. So I take it that if you build a castle there it's pretty much useless?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
Defenseless? I thought it had 500 Defense. But I had to delete my game that I Found one so I may be wrong. Though it does have 0 Admin, which is very nice since it usually appears right by one of your castles.
Ok, I checked the defense of the province and it is listed as "0". It does have more resources than other provinces (51) but that's about it. Is there any advantage other than the increased resources? I don't seem to be able to recruit anything else. Should I not build another fortress here?

Darryl
Old February 19th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Corporal

Gateway103 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Darryl
quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
Ok, I checked the defense of the province and it is listed as "0". It does have more resources than other provinces (51) but that's about it. Is there any advantage other than the increased resources? I don't seem to be able to recruit anything else. Should I not build another fortress here?

Darryl

Provincial Defense is not the same as castle defense. Provincial Defense, or PD for short, represents local militias/troops that will patrol said province for foreign scouts, and other stealthy units such as spies. They also double as defenders when the province gets invaded.

The advantage of having PD is that you don't need to pay upkeeps nor resources, just need initial investments. The downside is that they are generally weak, so they are more of arrow fodder row when invaded by substantial forces. In case you don't know how to invest in PD, press 'D' or click on defense to bring up the dialogue screen for adjustment.

To check for a castle's defense, right click on the said building (e.g. Wizard Tower, Mountain Fortress, etc) on the list on the bottom right of the screen when the province is selected.

-Gateway103

[ February 19, 2004, 05:59: Message edited by: Gateway103 ]
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by Gateway103:
Provincial Defense is not the same as castle defense.

(snip)

To check for a castle's defense, right click on the said building (e.g. Wizard Tower, Mountain Fortress, etc) on the list on the bottom right of the screen when the province is selected.

-Gateway103
I understand the difference. The problem is no info is given. It just days "The Jervellan Wall". No numbers or anything when you right click, no symbol on the map, nothing. My fortress on the other hand shows defense values for the castle when you right click on "Fortress" on the bottom right of the screen. Am I missing something or does this not work the same way as "normal" fortresses? Is there actually some kind of defense for the province even though nothing is shown?
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Corporal

Zurai is on a distinguished road

That's the magic site (to clarify... the thing on your province info that says "Jervellan Wall" is a magic site, it just produces no gems, money, supply, or anything else of that nature, so there's no other text when you click on it). If you have not built a fortification there yet, you'll notice there is one now, with 500 defense/0 admin. If you HAVE already built a fort, you'll have your chosen fort type there and the magic site will do nothing. That's how I believe it works, anyway - someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Corporal

Zurai is on a distinguished road

EDIT: Oops, accidental doublepost.

[ February 19, 2004, 09:11: Message edited by: Zurai ]
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:39 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by Zurai:
That's the magic site (to clarify... the thing on your province info that says "Jervellan Wall" is a magic site, it just produces no gems, money, supply, or anything else of that nature, so there's no other text when you click on it). If you have not built a fortification there yet, you'll notice there is one now, with 500 defense/0 admin. If you HAVE already built a fort, you'll have your chosen fort type there and the magic site will do nothing. That's how I believe it works, anyway - someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Ok, I couldn't see any fortification there. I was looking for one like when you build one, so if it was there there is nothing on the map that indicates it, and nothing to click on to see the defense value like the "fortress" you can click on and see values. Nothing to see any resources anywhere. So am I to understand that a fortification is "there" despite the fact that no other indication is given?

By the way, I have a save game if anyone would like to take a look and show me how to see the effects of the wall.

[ February 19, 2004, 16:44: Message edited by: Darryl ]
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Are people sure its 500 def? I thought it was 500 supply and a crappy def. Actually in one game where I found the damn wall I tore the sucker down cuz it was just annoying the hell out of me