The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 20th, 2001, 08:51 PM

First Lieutenant

Possum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SETI - Off Topic

It never ceases to amaze me how naive and guillible some people can be

Like our control-obsessed federal government is ever going to really allow you access to information of such potentially explosive importance. This are the same feds who still refuse to de-classify information from nearly a hundred years ago. Get a clue, folks, you're being duped.
Old May 20th, 2001, 10:41 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

quote:
Like our control-obsessed federal government is ever going to really allow you access to information of such potentially explosive importance.
The feds' reach exceeds their grasp. There's no way they can block all the inbound signals from every direction around the planet, and no way to control the distribution of the information.

The trouble with most conspiracy theories is that they require a level of competence that human institutions have never demonstrated.

------------------
Cap'n Q

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human mind to correlate all of its contents. We live on a placid
island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was
not meant that we should go far. -- HP Lovecraft

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old May 21st, 2001, 02:21 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Possum:
It never ceases to amaze me how naive and guillible some people can be

Like our control-obsessed federal government is ever going to really allow you access to information of such potentially explosive importance. This are the same feds who still refuse to de-classify information from nearly a hundred years ago. Get a clue, folks, you're being duped.

This has nothing to do with the government. The radio telescope, the researchers who wrote the programs, the sponsors, the computer systems, and everything else are academic or private. Unless the political order in this country is a whole lot different than it has seemed all of my life, there's no G-man approving scientific research projects or filtering the data stream in and out of universities... yet! Not that there aren't a lot of G-men who'd like to appoint themselves to the job! What's 'explosive' about a signal from an alien civilization? Will it let you over-throw the Govt? I think they're much more worried about people learning how to make explosives and/or firearms in their own homes than they are about a bunch of geeks competing in the SETI easter egg hunt.
Old May 21st, 2001, 09:18 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Baron Munchausen:
Actually, there's more than ONE Space Empires Seti team. Both of these teams are small enough as it is. We need to consolidate! Can teams be merged? Can we persuade the members of one to join the other?

[This message has been edited by Baron Munchausen (edited 20 May 2001).]

Yes, there are 2 'cause I created the second one before I completely checked it out. I am now using the Space Empires (with a space) instead of SpaceEmpires. That is the only other Space Empires group I've seen..
Old May 23rd, 2001, 04:01 PM

Sergeant

zen. is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm...maybe rename it to something the average user might pick up on easily...like 'Space Empires Forum' or something. Who are the other guys, anyway? They might not even know about this most beloved game.

zen
Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:17 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by zenbudo:
Hmmmm...maybe rename it to something the average user might pick up on easily...like 'Space Empires Forum' or something. Who are the other guys, anyway? They might not even know about this most beloved game.

zen

If you read the group info (for Space Empires) it talks about SE3. I haven't noticed anyone's numbers going up recently so they may not even be active. (I'm RogerD in that group.)

I personally don't care where we put 'em. If someone wants to create a group with a little more detail (I'm not sure why), feel free and maybe I'll put my results in there (I have over 1400 now).
Old May 24th, 2001, 02:12 AM

Private

JLXC is on a distinguished road

I'd just like to start by saying this is my opinion right or wrong. I believe that the Gov't, at least Cells of it, know all about Aliens. They've seen them, they have their crafts, they know. The can Easily monitor All transmissions in and out of earth. I believe that the current "Project Disclosure" team is being totally honest and that SETI and NASA are either in the Fooled employee or "In the Know" Groups, with almost ALL of them just having been fooled.

Anyways, I know I'm a crackpot... heh yeah right. I would suggest anyone wanting to know what's Really up going to http://www.cseti.org/

Of course this is just an opinion, an Informed one, but just an opinion.
Old May 25th, 2001, 08:25 AM

Captain

raynor is on a distinguished road

I checked out the website you mentioned and read some of the key beliefs of those folks. The most interesting was this one:

They believe that we have been studying alien technology for such a long time that we now have all the technology we need to end poverty, world hunger and disease but that the government is hiding this technology.

... I'll let other folks comment on this.
Old May 25th, 2001, 08:37 AM

Private

JLXC is on a distinguished road

My reaction too raynor, until you read WHY the people in the know is keeping this from us. It's not pretty, but it makes perfect sense.

With all our petty squabbling for power will we ever be able to get ahead?