.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 20th, 2004, 02:39 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mictlan dominion spread: Did I get it right?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormbinder:
Ok, thank you. Do you know by any chance what type of progression is there between temple strength and dominion checks? For example - how much better full-strength temple check that, let's say, strength 1 temple check?
Haven't you read the dominion guide? It's located here.

Quote:
Personally I don't think it is linear, so stength 10 dominion check is not likely to be 10 times better than strength 1, based upon my observation. Does anybody happens toknow some numebrs/formulas for temple checks?
Dominion strength of 1 is succesful 10% of the time. Dominion strength of 10 is successful 100% of the time.
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:13 PM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Graeme Dice:
Haven't you read the dominion guide? It's located here.

Generally speaking the answer RTFM is not considered to be a very polite one. I've read number of guides on Dom, official and none official ones. All of them were read a long time ago though, and I've been playing Dom2 ever since.

Also according to the guide you are wrong. You have said:

Quote:

each pretender gives two dominion 10 checks, and one check at their current dominion strength.

...while according to the quide, each pretender does "One automatic increase plus two temple checks". Also note that "automatic increase" is different from your "full stregth temple check", since temple check 10 always increase the dominion in *abjucent* province, while "automatic increase" can do it in the province itself, if dominion is less than 10.

Anyway, thanks for the link, now the matter is clear to me.

[ July 20, 2004, 21:39: Message edited by: Stormbinder ]
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:54 PM

General

Quote:
Generally speaking the answer RTFM is not considered to be a very polite one.
Which is why I asked you if you had read it instead of telling you to read it.

Quote:
Also according to the guide you are wrong.
Yes, that would be why I put the "I believe" qualifier in front of it.

Quote:
Also note that "automatic increase" is different from your "full stregth temple check", since temple check 10 always increase the dominion in *abjucent* province, while "automatic increase" can do it in the province itself, if dominion is less than 10.
That isn't what the guide says, and is incorrect. A strength 10 temple will increase the dominion in its current province first, and if it that was already at 10 then the dominion can spread. Your pretender works in the same manner. There is also some mechanism that is not yet understood that causes the dominion spread that occurs in the early game before any individual province is maximized.
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That isn't what the guide says, and is incorrect. A strength 10 temple will increase the dominion in its current province first, and if it that was already at 10 then the dominion can spread.
Yeah, but strenght 10 temple means that that it is already 10 in the province in temple, by definition. Therefore the spread will happen automatically, unless countered by enemy check. That's what I said in the first place. Therefore "automatic increase" can not be the same as full temple strngth check, again by definition. And there is one, not two of them, if the guide is correct.

Quote:
Your pretender works in the same manner. There is also some mechanism that is not yet understood that causes the dominion spread that occurs in the early game before any individual province is maximized.
The Last paragraph in the quide that you have posted ling to speaks about it. Altough there are indeed no clear numbers, just general hints to how the formula works. But the point is, the is no need for the temple to be maximised before the dominion will spread. The guide says the the closer dominion is to the maximum, the mose chances are that it'l spread *instead* of increasing it by 1 in the temple province itself. It can aslo explain the difference between "automatic increase" and "temple 10 check".
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:13 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There is also some mechanism that is not yet understood that causes the dominion spread that occurs in the early game before any individual province is maximized.
My theory on this is that the dominion strength may also be limited by the turn number, so that early in the game, this "maxes out" and forces it to spread, which drastically reduces the possibility of a player being dominion-killed instantly by one of the random "false prophet" or "faith is falling" events.
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:22 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
quote:
There is also some mechanism that is not yet understood that causes the dominion spread that occurs in the early game before any individual province is maximized.
My theory on this is that the dominion strength may also be limited by the turn number, so that early in the game, this "maxes out" and forces it to spread, which drastically reduces the possibility of a player being dominion-killed instantly by one of the random "false prophet" or "faith is falling" events.
No, there is no turn limit on the spread, but the current mechanichs fortunately makes spreading easy in the beginning, especially if you have a weak dominion, thus reducing the chances of dominion-death for gods with weak dominion.
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:49 AM

General

Quote:
Yeah, but strenght 10 temple means that that it is already 10 in the province in temple, by definition.
No, a strength 10 temple means that the current dominion power of the god is equal to 10. The strength of the temple doesn't depend on the current provincial dominion level.

Quote:
Therefore the spread will happen automatically, unless countered by enemy check.
The dominion is guaranteed to spread in this case, but only because both the temple check was successful, and the provincial dominion was maximized.

Quote:
Therefore "automatic increase" can not be the same as full temple strngth check, again by definition.
No, it can't, but then the automatic increase is a more recent addition to the guide that wasn't there the Last time I read it.

[ July 20, 2004, 23:51: Message edited by: Graeme Dice ]