ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 18th, 2001, 10:27 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lerchey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cargo idea

CW,

Sure, you could make "instant fighters", like the Chicken Ramen II! But IMHO, that would change the balance and flavor of the game. Cargo is typically designed to be *transported and delivered*, not *used*.

So, let's say you have your Ramen fighters all packed aboard. All you have to do in the case of an emergency is to pull the yellow cord, and the fighers "unpacks", ready to fight. Where's your pilot? Preflight checks? How long do diagnostics take?

My opinion is that while you *could* do this, it partially invalidates the idea of security parties and having combat launchable units (eg, fighter bays).

<shrug>

Col. John
Old June 19th, 2001, 12:03 AM

Sergeant

jc173 is on a distinguished road

In seriousness I don't think fighters should contribute to boarding defense. Even if they were ready to go, armed, loaded, and manned, would you really want to fire weapons made to kill other starships inside your own ship? Imagine the havoc and internal destruction you'd cause by firing a rocket pod or AM torp. Troops/infantry I think would be a different story, although in the same vein I don't think vehicles/mechanized troops would be all that helpful unless there was enough room to deploy them and manuever... then again anyone ever watch Robotech? They did have some pretty massive battles inside the SDF-1 in a few episodes, but the internal configuration of the SDF-1 would have to pretty unusual for starship IMHO if not absolutely unique.
Old June 19th, 2001, 12:14 AM

Private

Str8_Gain is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Lerchey:
I think I disagree with this premise. Cargo, is not "combat ready", and thus, should not be able to mount a defense.

Col. John

Personally, I've always figured that cargo like population and troops were stored in cryo-suspension. It'd make sense, from the standpoint of conserving life-support and physical space aboard ship. Everything else, like troop vehicles, fighters, weapons platforms, etc., are NOT indoor toys (even if they were unpacked and ready to go).
Old June 19th, 2001, 04:36 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lerchey is on a distinguished road

Str8_Gain said,

>Everything else, like troop vehicles, fighters, weapons platforms, etc., are NOT indoor toys (even if they were unpacked and ready to go).

Dude, I could not have said that better if'n I tried.

Nicely put.

Col. John
Old June 19th, 2001, 09:16 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

I agree with the cryo argument - how else do you get so many milklions of ppl aboard those ships?

however, you could still justify a boarding defence modifier on cargo bays - no-one remember th loader/walker thing from Aliens?

Also, shouldn't the auxilliary control component have a boarding defnce value? We've all seen those episodes of Trek where the crew regain control of the ship from engineering...

------------------
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Uh, I think so, Brain, but balancing a family and a career ... oooh, it's all too much for me. "
Old June 19th, 2001, 03:34 PM

Sergeant

zen. is on a distinguished road

I think the cargo loader would fall under the security component. You put cargo bays in, then put internal defenses in...this works out. As a side note, I assume that one armed marine could ventilate the loader before it even gets close enough to use its claws.

I like the idea of the auxiliary control, though! An inherent defense value for it would be GREAT. Other than that, has ANYONE ever found a use for these things?

zen

::edit:: woohoo! I got a promotion to Corporal! ::/edit::

[This message has been edited by zenbudo (edited 19 June 2001).]
Old June 19th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

quote:
I like the idea of the auxiliary control, though! An inherent defense value for it would be GREAT. Other than that, has ANYONE ever found a use for these things?
When I'm using my P&N hardened bulkheads, the occasional shot will penetrate the armor. So I always add the AuxCon, just incase the bridge (or MC) takes that unlucky piercing damage.
Since I still have lots of hitpoints left, I can make good use of the AuxCon for the next few turns.
Since I then don't lose half my movement, I can get out of range of the enemy, or manouever in and finish them.