.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old December 29th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stats

Only vanheim left . Only 2 hours left .
Hopefully you don't stale
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Corporal

KroolDeath is on a distinguished road

Stale...Once again, I just missed it by a few minutes.

Arrrggg...

Krool
Old December 30th, 2004, 04:21 AM

Corporal

Steerpike is on a distinguished road

Third Nation down: The Niefel Giants.
Well played Panther hope I can join the next game and get some more punishment.
I think a major mistake was not summonning fodder to soak up damage while my Jarls dished it out.
Old December 30th, 2004, 04:35 AM

Captain

Aku is on a distinguished road

Also you weren't scripting your sc's too good and could of gave panther a run for his money but instead they got slaughtered.

Your sc's always would engage the ice devils already heavily fatigued...they had lost the fight before it started =(.

Also another thing is to be ALWAYS prepared to be invaded. Like right now nobody may intend to invade me but I am ready if someone wants to try. Even if you didn't think Abysia would attack you...you should of prepped for it. But that is my playstyle so if it doesnt fit with yours just devise another strategy. Like me and Boron have similar playstyles but they differ from like the rest of the players in our play session in newbies slugfest.
Old December 30th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Corporal

Steerpike is on a distinguished road

I agree with the scripting mistake Aku, that was pure ignorance but disagree on the not being prepared for an invasion. I met Panther with pretty much my strongest forces, in fact Panther gave me two turns warning before invading(hes such a Gentleman), scripting did let me down.
In my defense of the scripting though, it worked well against Caelums ghost wolves. In fact I think my Jarls would have gone down hard without BOW against Caelums spamming Ghost wolves.
No I sill think my Biggest mistake was dying with too many gems, relying on my SC's too much. A horde of cheap summons like vinemen, claymen, mechanical men etc would have made a big difference.
And Lastly the reason I attacked Caelum, Pan was because of my paranoia about invasion.
You die an learn.
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:54 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Steerpike said:
No I sill think my Biggest mistake was dying with too many gems, relying on my SC's too much. A horde of cheap summons like vinemen, claymen, mechanical men etc would have made a big difference.
And Lastly the reason I attacked Caelum, Pan was because of my paranoia about invasion.
You die an learn.
Of the mentioned summons only the mech men has a small chance against the devil imo .

Compared to a devil expect the vine ogre none of the summons is cheap though .
Panther has surely at least 100 blood / turn , rather 200 / turn or maybe even 300 .

Basically creaturewise other blood summons are your best bet against devils though .
FoDs , Storm demons and maybe demon knights could defeat devils .
To keep them at bay long enough only mechanical men and iron dragons are probably reliable , and other highprotection stuff . The other highprotection stuff is rather useless though if the attacker uses lots of firemagic as well which he probably does .

Your BoW is good against devils as well of course .
Even your strong jotunheim troops get slaughtered by devils easy though :

A devil has 92,9% hitting chance against a niefel giant .
Only your jotun hirdman with def 12 has a 1 higher def.
There the hitting chance is still 89,8% though .
With his main attack ( trident ) the devil does 14 + 7 +2d6 oe damage . Your niefel giant has only 15 protection .

That results in an average damage of 6.43 hp per hit .

Vs a hirdman the devil has 3.99 average damage .

So in average one devil does ~6 hp damage to a niefel giant per battle turn and ~3,6 hp damage to a hirdman .

Vice versa a niefel giant/hirdman does ~2,25 hp damage to devil per battle turn .

That was for unblessed niefel giant . With a good bless you can shift the numbers a bit in favour of the niefel giant . But it is not that dramatic . Without any blesses the niefel giant likely looses even against a single devil , with good blesses he still can't win against more then 2-3 devils .

Any fodder like claymen or vinemen would survive only 1 turn in average against one devil , so it would be literally useless .

So unless you have big superiority in numbers or really really awesome battlefield buffs all your troops expect the ones mentioned at the beginning of my post will die quickly against devils unless they have big superiority in quantity .

That leads to the next problem : Panthers devils swarm you and his SCs then easily hit you .
Even without SCs if your SCs don't have really good protection or are etheral + lucky you are in slight trouble :
Vs. 25 protection a devil still scores 0.754 avg. damage per hit . 16 devils can surround a SC at maximum . Thnx to swarming defense doesn't protect you against that so unless you are lucky , have mirror images or etheralness at least 10 devils will almost 100% sure hit you every battle round .
So even against plain devils with 25 protection you will suffer ~7,5 hp average damage per battle round .
The 7,5 hp average damage can be in one round 0 damage , but in the next 25 damage etc. because one devil makes a really good dice roll etc. .

Good counters that come to my mind include all a staff of storms .
Then either heavy use of air (wrathful skies , thunderstrike , shimmering fields ) or water magic ( frozen heart , falling frost , niefel flames ) .
Another possiblity is a good SC + storm demons/mech men/iron dragons .

Unfortunately i think you were lacking most of those combos because of lack of good air mages .
Abysia is one of the nations which are very good against jotunheim .

In that view i think you did more damage to panther than he or i would have assumed . So you succeeded .
You had just bad luck to start with one of your anti-nations as neighbour . For panther that would have been neighborhood with ermor/pan cw .
Old December 30th, 2004, 03:10 PM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road
Default Re: War!

Inside the Chamber of Hell, the two most trusted advisors of Abysia are in council with the Queen of Blood and Death. Sir Deviant, Abysian Minister of War and his lovely wife Madam Candice, Abysian Minister of State, report on the affairs in the Cradle of Dominion.

Sir Deviant: And so, my queen, Plan B worked to perfection. We have elmimated the nasty giants from these lands.
Devil Queen: Very good, very good indeed! You did well, my minister. But what was this about the angels? Why have you not mentioned that we were even at war with Caelum?
Sir Deviant: Ah, my queen, you are as perceptive as always. You are correct in that we were not at war with them. But we had no peace agreement with them either. In fact, they invaded our conquered lands in a very suicidal act of war.
Devil Queen: But it was over so quick. Why?
Sir Deviant: That was because Stonebrow's giants had mostly killed them before we killed Jontunheim.
Devil Queen: I see. So you just decided on your own to eliminate them without even asking me.
Sir Deviant: Yes, my queen. I am sorry for not asking your permission, but you were on vacation in the Land of Inland with your ghostly husband.
Devil Queen: Yes, that I was. Well, no apology is necessary, my fine Minister of war. I like initiative in my loyal servants, as long as their actions prove wise. And your decisive action to quickly put down the uprising of the angels was a very good decision. That is one less problem for me to worry about in the south.

Devil Queen: Now, my fine lady, what about this invasion from Marignon? I thought we had a border agreement and a two-month non-agression pact with the Lord Grim Knight?
Madam Candice: We did. He violated our agreement and gave no warning to his invasion. He has proved to be most untrustworthy indeed, and his word will not ever be belived in the future. We did keep the peace treaty ourselves, my queen, for we always keep our word even to our enemies per your instructions.
Devil Queen: I see. So, what is our response to this act of agression?
Madam Candice: We eliminate the inquisitors from these lands.
Devil Queen: Are we prepared for war?
Sir Deviant: Of course, my queen. We are always prepared. In fact, my wife and I follow the sage advice of the false pretender Blictroc who says that one should ALWAYS be prepared to be invaded. Make no mistake, we are as prepared as we can be even given the treachery of Grim Knight.
Devil Queen: So, do we have a battle plan as yet?
Madam Candice: Not quite yet. This violation of the agreement was a bit unexpected. However, because of the massing of enemy troops Last month on the eastern border, we prepared our defences just in case of an invasion.
Sir Deviant: Yes, we are very ready, my queen. We will first eliminate the invading army and then decide on a proper battle plan.
Devil Queen: But how can we deal with an army of that massive size when our main forces are far across the lands due to the war out west?
Sir Deviant: Trust me, my queen. We will deal with Grim Knight most satisfactorily. Most satisfactorily indeed!
Devil Queen: Very good then. I trust you both in this. Just keep me informed.
Old December 30th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Corporal

DragonFire11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Death

My end came so easy. I am a jelly doughnut.
Old December 30th, 2004, 10:54 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

So, no Abysian anthropologists are exploring the ruins of the extinct great nation of Pan? Our history was so rich with pipe-dream plans.
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:42 PM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Wow, turn 61 is up. Why is this game running so quickly all of a sudden?