The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 22nd, 2005, 04:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

Lemmy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [Tool] SE4 text to html/javascript

Updated! Current version 0.3.

- Engines per move would be a valuable statistic in the vehicles section for many mods.
Added.

- Why do the entries for vehicles:mines in the demo there say "must have 1 computer core"?
Eh, error 'must have bridge' requirement wasn't checked properly, fixed now.

- Tech level zero in the techlist seems pointless, since you can never have tech level "minus one", and thusly, a requirement of level zero is not a requirement at all.
I didn't have it initially either, but I saw a level 0 tech requirement in the Adamant mod, and the game seems to allow it...so i added it...i suppose i could hide it if it offers nothing new. I assume a level 0 requirement means it becomes available as soon as the required techarea becomes available.

- As you can see in the entry for Stock Ion Engines, abilities with a null description should not have a point for the blank ability.
Description-less abilities still need to be indicated somehow though. Perhaps a list of the abilities themselves in addition to the description boxes?
The latter is what i had intended, but only did it for vehicles, and forgot to do it for facilities and components as well. Fixed now.

I'm also wondering if this thing handles infinite range missiles with their 21st damage-at-range value?
The program would read it, and convert it as well, but the page will only display the first 20. Any suggestions on how to display it?

Oop. Won't run. Got an mscoree.dll to go with it?
Hmm, i found one and uploaded it here. Let me know if it works and where it needs to be placed and i'll include it in the zip file as well.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:32 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Description-less abilities still need to be indicated somehow though. Perhaps a list of the abilities themselves in addition to the description boxes?
Except that what is being displayed is the ability descriptions provided in the modfiles.

The primary reason why you would add a blank ability description is if it dosen't matter to the user.
Like with Leaky Shields. You need 2 or more abilities to implement leaky shields, but only one description: "Generates 10 leaky shield points"

I don't think you want to mess with mixing the descriptions and the underlying abilities. It will just confuse people.
One OR the other. Maybe let the user choose which, but definitely not both at the same time.

---

A level zero tech requirement is not a requriement at all.
As I mentioned, you cannot have tech level -1.
Every race starts with a minimum of tech level zero in everything, even racial techs.

Being able to research the area means nothing; it is entirely possible to *steal* tech levels in an area without being able to research that tech. EG: You can indeed steal and build cloaking devices without having any research into physics.

---

Hmm, i found one and uploaded it here. Let me know if it works and where it needs to be placed and i'll include it in the zip file as well.
Err... Found one?
Hopefully from somewhere reputable? The reason I asked here, is that I don't really trust any of those DLL download sites.

---

I'm also wondering if this thing handles infinite range missiles with their 21st damage-at-range value?
The program would read it, and convert it as well, but the page will only display the first 20. Any suggestions on how to display it?
If it is a "seeker" AND has a 21st damage value, AND none of the other values are zero...
Then add a little text entry below the damage-at-range chart saying "Infinite Range: ## damage" or somesuch.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

I got the dll from my own computer, i don't know how if that counts as reputable.
But then, i don't know how it got on my C drive in the first place.

I'll have to think about the ability description, i think from a modder point of view you'd like to see all abilities, regardless of descriptions.

The infinite range bit will be included in the next update.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:58 AM

Private

Swarm is on a distinguished road
Default missing file

Looks good - but the download zip is missing se4pedia.js. When I fetch that from your site and add it manually, it works perfectly - seems to be fine for DevNullModGold and Proportions.

Good stuff!
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:08 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Lemmy said:
I got the dll from my own computer, i don't know how if that counts as reputable.
But then, i don't know how it got on my C drive in the first place.

I'll have to think about the ability description, i think from a modder point of view you'd like to see all abilities, regardless of descriptions.
Reputable enough for me. Probably installed with your compiler and stuff

As for the ability thing, that's just it, there. You either want to see the RAW abilities, or the modded descriptions. Not parts of both.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 01:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Lemmy said:
I didn't have it initially either, but I saw a level 0 tech requirement in the Adamant mod, and the game seems to allow it...

That is only because it is easier to fiddle with the tech level reqs if the tech area info is left in there. Adamant is a beta, afterall. A req of 0 is not a req at all.

SuicideJunkie said:
I don't think you want to mess with mixing the descriptions and the underlying abilities. It will just confuse people.
One OR the other. Maybe let the user choose which, but definitely not both at the same time.

No more so than looking at the data files would.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 02:11 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Sorry, I was unclear...

Seeing both the ability/values AND the descriptions at the same time for all the entries would make sense, although it would be a bit large.

Putting some only-description and some only-ability/value entries in the display would just be confusing.
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

updated it again, same links as first post, demo is also updated to 0.4.

0.4:
Changed: Abilities without a description aren't shown
Changed: Tech level 0 is no longer shown
Added: Infinite range value for Seeking type weapons
Added: History with back and forward links
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

You need an "Image Mod" option that looks in the stock Pictures folder rather than the mod's pictures folder. Also, some way to change the file format it is looking for (just changing the extension) would be handy for use on web sites.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.