This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 1st, 2001, 04:08 PM

Corporal

Gorgo is on a distinguished road
Default Observations on TDM-Mod

I've been playing with the TDM-Mod for about a year now, and feel compelled to post a few observations:

1. Many of the Modpack races are pretty good against me, but not so good against some of the original races.
2.The Modpack races are very good at the early stages of the game, and in the end, the winner is: the Praetorians.

Saying this, many of my best SE IV moments have to do with the TDM-Mod: Attacking a Sergetti planet defended by 9 (!) starbases, or seeing the Klingons prosper although they had started with two systems cut off to the rest of the galaxy by a black hole.

I have no idea why the Praetorians are so strong, it'd be interesting to hear other's comments on this.

How I play: 1 starting planet, small AI bonus, hard difficulty, peaceful strategy (never start wars)

Gorgo
Old November 1st, 2001, 05:40 PM

Corporal

jimbob55 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Observations on TDM-Mod

I started a single player game with clean 1.49 mod Last week and beat the pants off the AI. Peaceful strategy, high bonus for AI.

I felt a little upset seeing as I've been annihilated in PBW games recently. Downloaded the TDM pack and tried a similar game 254 systems, high bonus 5000 race points with 10 TDM races playing on simultaneous move.
It certainly made a difference. The only race prepared to ally with me were the Rage, which was a surprise. I only survived through closing myself off from the rest of the galaxy in my 8 systems and I'm still playing. The top 3 races have scores around 4 million each and I'm 6th with 2 million.

Very challenging game. I've just emerged from my bunker and met a defensive fleet of 35 ships. It's great.

The AI ship designs are not exactly sluggers (lots of engine disruption weapons, few direct damage) but they hurt through attrition. Nothing like having your ships sitting useless and eating maintainance as you try to get another repair crew to them.
Old November 1st, 2001, 11:09 PM

Colonel

Master Belisarius is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by jimbob55:
The AI ship designs are not exactly sluggers (lots of engine disruption weapons, few direct damage) but they hurt through attrition. Nothing like having your ships sitting useless and eating maintainance as you try to get another repair crew to them.

Looks like the Pyrochette or Aquilaeian.
I really like the Ionic Disperser weapon!

You will need to include always repair ships into your fleets.
Old November 1st, 2001, 11:38 PM

Corporal

Magus38 is on a distinguished road

I have been hearing that there is some problem in using the TDM Modpack as it currently is, even including the interim update. I have looked around for the thread discussing this, but cannot recall it. Does anyone have accurate information on whether or not it is true that the AI performance is being degraded from the 1.49 level by the inclusion of the Modpack? Thanks in advance.

------------------

Going along with the conditions of the world, without hindrance. Conditions of the world going along with conditions of the world, going along is a condition of the world when going along - this is called without hindrance."

[This message has been edited by Magus38 (edited 01 November 2001).]
Going along with the conditions of the world, without hindrance. Conditions of the world going along with conditions of the world, going along is a condition of the world when going along - this is called without hindrance.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 05:11 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

I'm not aware of any major problems with the TDM-ModPack after the interims patch. If there are problems, please tell us, that's the only way we can fix tehm!

Praetorians: That's an interesting observation. I have not made this experience with them but ever game differs from the other. If you have any tips, comments, observations, questions, PLEASE!, post them, we are always trying to improve our races.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 05:16 PM

First Lieutenant

Cyrien is on a distinguished road

I havn't noticed a lowering in their ability. Also havn't noticed any one race dominating. Last game the Aquils were rocking... one before that it was the Sergetti... and before that the Terrans... and before them the Darlock (during the Intel bug so that probably helped them) this game the Krill are really really scary (almost as scary as me).
Old November 2nd, 2001, 06:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

quote:
Does anyone have accurate information on whether or not it is true that the AI performance is being degraded from the 1.49 level by the inclusion of the Modpack? Thanks in advance.

[/b]

Well, I don't know about the races from other Modpack authors but as far as Sergetti and Xi'Chung are concerned it is true.

It is because the new way AI handles research files:

quote:
Version 1.45:

5. Fixed - AI Research will now follow the "Tech Area Min Percent".

Sergetti and Xi'Chung have 100% on all of their research, which means that they research only one tech at the time.
I have already fixed this for the next Version of Modpack.

On a side note Norak don't have that much of a problem since they have all their research on 50% (2 tech at the time - just like using God Emperor's filler tech).

[This message has been edited by Daynarr (edited 02 November 2001).]
Old November 4th, 2001, 08:57 PM

Corporal

Gorgo is on a distinguished road

Mephisto: In my view, the Praetorians have great advantages when the human player is peaceful, because they seldomly have war with the human player at the beginning. I guess they don't stand much a chance if the human player is aggressive and attacks them soon, as their ships are not necessarily great
As they are very peaceful, they have a lot of partnerships and send a lot of colony ships to all edges of the galaxy. One modder said AI's should not have more than military alliances because of the waste to send colony ships on neverending missions, yet on the other hand, the Praetorians manage to build massive empires this way.

Gorgo