.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 10th, 2006, 01:53 AM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CARIBBEAN CRISIS - NOW AVAILABLE!

The campaign was pretty easy. I picked Special Ops and got a DV on the first battle, a DV on the second and third (after two tries each, there's a steep learning curve), and I got a DV on the last one too as a river assault. The river assault is very interesting, especially the idea of putting mines in the water. Overall, I know WBW is known for making hard scenarios, but these were very easy but still very fun. Really a tour de force, the work shows. How often do you come out with campaigns?
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Private

OGBerger is on a distinguished road

Thanks for an interesting Campaign, now I'm through both branches and found them very enjoyable. Managed a MV in both branches. Got a DV for each opening Scenario and the follwo ups always MVs. Was a bit more cautious with my guys. I hurts seeing them take losses. So in most scenarios failed to capture one victory hex.

That roadblock/rescue scenario in the SpecOps branch bugged me out. Set most of the aux forces near that two road victory hexes and assaulted the prison with 2 platoons, while the third was deployed on the road from the north.
One platoon was dropped right into the compund the other swept in from the east. Everything went well until cuban armor showed up and then it was close combat and assault under smoke cover right in the POWcamp. The RecoillessRifle units had no flield of fire into that area.
Could not take the last victory hex on the western road.
MV and some serious losses among the two platoons.

So again thanks for this work, my hat's off to the team.
Keep up the great work!
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM

BANNED USER

What I did was buy several RR jeeps and set them up in ambush positions with overlapping fields of fire. They were able to hold off a lot of tanks. They started to run out of ammo and be overwhelmed toward the end, but by that time the enemy armor had been reduced to a manageable size.
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

WBWilder is on a distinguished road

The RR jeeps are indeed quite valuable and relatively cheap. I purchased a couple of them and found them to be very effective, though as Mustang says, sacrificial lambs in the end.

Thanks to all for your feeback and letting me know how you have enjoyed the campaign.

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Scenario Designer
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Private

@mustang: Yeah the RR-jeeps rock against armor, worked grat in some other scenarios of the campaign. They dispatched that nasty T54s quicker than the M48, although that one was prone to being shoot. I dare no to mention the M41/47, lambs to the slaughter. Thank god there's the army who generously lend me some kickass M60s (purchase under allied selection).

In the mentioned scenario (Roadblock/POW Rescue) it was a air assault/rapid deployment so i wanted to keep it real and didn't use the RR Jeeps. Should have paid more attention to the placement of the aux RR teams, !

S!
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

We learn as we go. Those RR teams are pretty powerful themselves, just lack the mobility of those jeeps.

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:32 PM

BANNED USER

This campaign also gave me a whole new way to look at airmobile. It showed me how powerful they really can be in game terms. I know this kind of operation is way too complex to ever work in real life, but here is what I did: I took my helos and made them use up the enemy small-arms fire shots. A few would take damage, but transport helos can at least stick around a turn after getting hit so it wasn't a big deal. After the enemy had used up all their heavy weapons, I would land my infantry adjacent to an enemy builing, position, or whatever. They would take some small arms op fire on landing, but enough of them would survive to assault the enemy building. A very gamey tactic, but fun and useful. It solves the problem of how you have to get close to the enemy to do any serious damage.
Old March 29th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

Indeed, a rather unusual way to distract the enemy! I'm sure the chopper pilots were not extremely happy. Did you lose any with a full load of infantry or was their fire not powerful enough to shoot them down?

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer
Old March 29th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Private

Ha that happend to me in the spec ops branch in the first air assaul scenario. Lost a Uh34 to small arms and AA fire right in the first turn! It was loaded with the Co HQ and 1st Plt HQ. Aborted and redid that scenario.

S!
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:59 PM

BANNED USER

It's very rare that small arms fire is able to hit a helo, much less shoot the whole thing down. I think I did loose a couple of Uh-34s, but to 23mm flak, and probably their infantry also. But like I said, transport helos stay in the air for a turn after being hit, and the Uh-34 is fairly cheap so it's a safe tactic.