.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 7th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Corporal

Zebion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The new map Dawn

Argatha having a whole underground cave system is just beautifal and fun at the same time. I love Ze new cave system just for encouraging darkness monsters
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:03 PM

Corporal

Saarud is on a distinguished road

This map is superb. I have started 3 games so far on it just to test different nations... and I love it as there is even more feelings to the nation in this scenario. I think it is great as well that the setup is not balanced... I like to see more scenarios.

Two thumbs up!
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:18 AM

Sergeant

Stryke11 is on a distinguished road

Jason,

I consider your maps to be of such high quality that I for one would be willing to pay for a packet of them. I notice you mention you don't have a lot of spare time for non-"paying" work. I'm sure the community here appreciates your work so much that if you considered devoting some time to making multiple maps I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to set up some kind of fee structure.

Just my $0.02 (and potentially much more ).
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:12 AM

Sergeant

Horst F. JENS is on a distinguished road

I support this idea. Everyone who spend his free time to make maps or mods get my full admiration.
But to get more maps like the new one from Jason (i understand it is all self-made, not copied from other work) i suggest to club together and make a regular "map of the month" (Year/whatever) voting where the winner(s) get all money collected so far.
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:00 AM

Private

Recruit is on a distinguished road

Well done Jason on a great map.

Definately professional quality work. Curious to know what software you use? Do you work digitally or by hand?
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Private

bleach168 is on a distinguished road

I'm impressed. Great job!
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If anyone is really interested, there are some easy ways to setup money handling to support projects (thru PayPal is pretty simple or thru SourceForge if you want to be an official project). Or to setup putting a CD online and selling it with a bunch of maps or background screens or mods (thru CafePress is probably easiest).
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Corporal

Jason_Lutes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Recruit said:Definately professional quality work. Curious to know what software you use? Do you work digitally or by hand?
Professional quality except for the resolution issue. Still haven't got that part worked out (too chunky). But thanks!

I draw a bunch of terrain by hand, scan it in, clean it up in Photoshop and just copy-paste to build the map. For the older maps the terrain brushes were colored and then applied, but for this one I colored most of it afterwards, so it has more of a custom look.

Usually for the most basic continent/sea outlines I start with a something out of a fractal world generator, but in this case I asked the beta and mapping forums what Early Ages nations poeple would most like to see a scenario for, made a list of the top picks, and came up with this sketch:

Then I solicited feedback from Kristoffer and the beta forum regulars about how to improve it, rearranged some of the nations, and tweaked the layout somewhat.

I intended from the beginning to create a scenario that had more flavor than balance, and knew full well that some nations would have a much rougher go of it than others, which is how I like my strategy games in general. But I did make some .map file changes to Arco, Caelum, and C'tis to help them out a little.

In our current MP test game, Ulm and Marverni seem particularly crunched. I'd be curious to hear how other games go, and if people think the difficulty ratings need to be adjusted at all.
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Private

Michaelangelo is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I'm new to both the game and the forums. Is there a good location or link that details how to go about making maps that will work with the game?

Thanks, and congratulations to Jason for what appears to be outstanding work.
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Great map. I have a suggestion though. The borderlines between territories are sometimes very hard to see. Would you mind releasing a version with "black"-borders ?