This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 28th, 2001, 09:34 PM

Corporal

Argh is on a distinguished road
Default Game Bottleneck

I'll bet you folks are getting *really* tired of reading my Posts about the obvious. . . so here's the Last one. . . that's rattling around the tiny blob of gum called "Argh's brain"

I have discovered something unpleasant about the default, un-modded SE:IV, and I was wondering if there were any mods that get rid of this, or if others would desire one:

Why can't I build more than one Shipyard, to increase the speed at which I build/repair warships? This turns out to be THE bottleneck. . . when I began doing efficiency calculations. . . just fooling around, mind you. . . I figured out that the ultimate bottleneck on production isn't population and it certainly ain't resources. . . it's not being able to build more than one Shipyard!

So. . . I have three questions connected to this:

1. Other than races' base stats, the availability of resources, the tech level of the Shipyard and that Temporal Science shipyard. . . what else effects ship's build times? I haven't noticed differences due to population. . . spaceborne shipyards produce just as quickly as planetary ones. . . so what else can effect this?

2. Are there any mods that allow you to build multiple Shipyards, or allow all players to build a facility that speeds up Shipyard production, and allows you to buy multiples to further increase the bonus? I'm rather annoyed that such an artificial bottleneck was imposed by the original design- in MOOII, the bottleneck simply didn't exist- pay your dough RIGHT NOW, and you can have a leviathan built by next turn- which is how it's done IRL, when governments are in a real hurry.

3. How many of you experienced players try to max out your ship-building speed? How many of you think that it's less important than other factors?
Old December 28th, 2001, 09:41 PM

BANNED USER

Gryphin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game Bottleneck

Argh,
My Opinion: The beautiy of this game is that there are so many questions, (frustrating or not). "There Ain't no Such Think as a Dumb Question".

As for your actual quesitons? I haven't a clue, (yet).
Old December 28th, 2001, 10:37 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

It's a matter of opinion whether this is a bad thing or not. Some feel it's more realisitic. That a space ships is a complicated thing and no matter how many dollars you throw at it, it should take a minimum amount of time to build one. Others agree with you.

You pretty much mentioned all the factors related to production rate. Although typically space yard facilities on a planet do build faster than space yard components in a ship.

I have heard of a mod recently that allows the building of multiple facilities that will boost production, but I haven't seen the details yet. You should be able to find the thread fairly easily. I think it was in the "Pirates life for me..." thread.

You could also modify the data files your self to boost production in a number of ways. Change the base construstion rate in the settings.txt file. Change the facilities.tx file to increase the space yard rate, or add additional levels of space yeard tech. Do the same for the Space Yard component. Modify the Racial Traits .txt file to allow for increased construction racial bonuses.

There is very little about this game you can't change if you don't like it. It's one of the stregths of Spaces Empires IV.

Geoschmo
Old December 28th, 2001, 10:50 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Argh,

Have you also noticed that UPGRADES take place all at once? You cannot upgrade one or a few facilities at a time, it has to be all of them? This can be a problem if resources are tight and you've got a large planet to upgrade. You have to spend a lot and get no returns for a long time before the upgrade takes "all at once". I've pointed out the contradiction of forcing build to 'one at a time' and upgrade to 'all at once' before. Would be far more flexible to have it the other way around, but would still be better to have both the same. In other words, we've currently got the worst arrangement! Ringworlds and Sphereworlds would actually be useful, too, since it would be possible to fill one in reasonable game time.

I've altered population modifiers in my own stuff. Planets get to 200 percent production bonus at 4 billion and top out at 500 percent with a fully populated sphereworld. Since the AI is so cruddy at managing population this amounts to another advantage for human players, though. In a human vs. human game it would provide some realism. You'd be encouraged to build more things at large population centers because of the much better production time.

[ 28 December 2001: Message edited by: Baron Munchausen ]

Old December 29th, 2001, 12:02 AM

Corporal

Can I boost the rate by which the Space Yard can produce, much like boosting resource production? That way, I can construct planets that are based around building spacecraft, and further-specialize elsewhere. . . just a thought.

IRL, the warships in SE:IV are more like cars than anything else- you're building standardized designs in large numbers. I guess that, to me at least, it makes no intuitive sense to assume that these are all ultra-complicated one-offs like today's modern warships- on the contrary, since they all use the same parts. . . dunno
Old December 29th, 2001, 01:23 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

You can boost ship yard built rates, yes. Components.txt for that. The other things affecting production are in settings.txt, I think.

"I haven't noticed differences due to population. . . spaceborne shipyards produce just as quickly as planetary ones. . . so what else can effect this?"

Actually, population does have an effect, as does happyness (both apply only to planets, obviously) All told, ship yards are MUCH slower than planetary yards.

For example: in one of my games, a Jublient planet with 3766 billion population produces at 4200 a turn. A small jublient planet produced at 3000 per turn. All my ship-based yards, on the other hand, produced at just 2000 per turn.

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old December 29th, 2001, 01:31 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Argh:
Can I boost the rate by which the Space Yard can produce, much like boosting resource production? That way, I can construct planets that are based around building spacecraft, and further-specialize elsewhere. . . just a thought.

IRL, the warships in SE:IV are more like cars than anything else- you're building standardized designs in large numbers. I guess that, to me at least, it makes no intuitive sense to assume that these are all ultra-complicated one-offs like today's modern warships- on the contrary, since they all use the same parts. . . dunno

Yeah, it's a simple edit of the facility.txt file to make space yards more powerful. But that won't change the single item per turn limit. That's in the program code.

There is a cheat, too, but you'll find it tedious. Make a 'dummy' facility with no spaceyard abilities and call it something like "Industrial Infrastructure". Build them on the planets you want & then save game, edit to give those extra facilities space yard abilities, then reload game. Problem is, once you do that you cannot build anymore. Unless you edit facility.txt again to remove the abilities, meaning you cannot use the extra abilities while building new ones.
Old December 29th, 2001, 06:45 AM

Corporal

MegaTrain is on a distinguished road

Actually, the population of a planet can be a pretty substantial bonus to construction rate. Here are the numbers (population figures are minimums for that bonus level):

Pop - Bonus %
100 - 5%
500 - 10%
1000 - 20%
2000 - 30%
3000 - 40%
4000 - 50%
5000 - 60%
6000 - 70%
7000 - 80%
8000 - 90%
(8000 is the max pop on a huge native-atmosphere planet)

It's awfully hard to get several thousand on EVERY planet (unless you've got incredible reproduction rate), but in my Last game I had several "super construction" planets, which were constructing at over 4500/turn (in NON-emergency mode!). And that was with just 6000 pop and a Spaceyard II. Not too shabby.

Here's a full chart I just whipped up in Excel:
[ 29 December 2001: Message edited by: MegaTrain ]

Old December 29th, 2001, 08:26 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

Yes the space yard capacity is a bottleneck for production in SE IV, but IMHO this is a good change MM made in comparision to SE III where you could build a star destroyer in one or two turns if you had enough resources. In SE IV you are forced to make more long term plans for your construction. And if I want multiple space yards I build several space stations with space yards on this location.
Old December 29th, 2001, 05:21 PM

Corporal

Yeah, I can see where MM was going with this. . . but at the same time, I just feel a bit miffed when I hit the "wall" in production about midgame. Seriously speaking here, from a game design perspective, it makes sense to be able to build spaceyards that can still eat all of the available resources, as time goes on. Perhaps what I need to do is modify the tech tree, so that everybody can research further editions of Spaceyard.
I have planets that, if tweaked, are producing upwards of 30,000+ minerals per turn(given all of the optimizations you can get for production) and yet I can't build Dreadnoughts simply because of the insane lead time required. It's very hard to fight a war against opponants who have much cruddier technology overall, but who sacrificed their build queue for Dreadnoughts early on Now, this may be fair, from some perspectives. . . but it's terribly unrealistic, imho. I mean, I have FAR more resources than I can *ever* possibly use. . . in the amount of time I'd normally use them!

I'll try modifying the research tree, and see how things feel after that. Now, there are some issues that would remain- I'd have to modify the AI files, or they won't research this, don't I?