ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 19th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road
Default HQ

what do you do with it? do you upgrade into a rifle section or into a jeep to make it more mobile?
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Corporal

dlazov is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HQ

No!

Leave your A0 (HQ) unit as is. He is the "last" in line to rally your units. For example, if B3 fails to rally himself he tries B0, if B0 can't rally him then A0 will try.

If A0 dies or routs chances are your force will fall apart and retreat.

I believe this is all in the GG somewhere.
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Sergeant

but upgrading it into something more combatworthy woukld help its survival or not?
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Sergeant

JohnHale is on a distinguished road

I presume you're talking about Campaign play?

Maybe.... maybe not. You then make it into more of a target for an airstrike etc - which is not good.

If you ever played the original Steel Panthers, where you had a max. of 24 (??) units in your core, it was a reasonable thing to do to upgrade it to a Tiger or something combat-worthy. With another 199 units available to play with now, just cross-attach a spare half-track or whatever to give it mobility. If you don't know how to do this - just ask.
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Hi Valo,

I'd leave your HQ as is.

A Jeep is easy to spot and destroy, and is vulnerable to arty. If you want to make them more mobile, then load them into a jeep or half-track to move them, but then unload them in cover as soon as get there.

If you make HQ a tank, then it's a big target, that may have to fight and get shot at.

Your HQ is best used just behind your lines where your troops need rallying. Don't get them involved in a firefight. I keep a jeep or HT nearby to rush them out of trouble or to a sector that needs help. Sometimes I even keep a spare jeep nearby, as I've had my HQ's transport shot from under them more than once.

In SPWW2/MBT infantry are far more hardy then vehicles. Harder to spot and to kill.
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:56 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

Good Day,

The second school of thought, is create some command tanks/vehiles, and convert in to these when possible. An armoured CP can stay closer and rally more units, however you may die easier, of course in real life this happened often enough.

I'd say it depends on your level of expertise, just starting, leave the HQ as is. If your looking to make a campaign more interesting, I personally always man my HQ and like to be in the thick of things. Sometimes I don't make it, C'est l;guerre

Cheers, Bob

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Sergeant

i was thinking of turning it into an infantry squad to give it more hitpoints but the Hq has the benefit of beiing size 0 and there is no size 0 unit with that many men. Maybe i will just leave them as they are.
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Corporal

dlazov is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HQ - A0

The thing to note is that the A0 unit has built in capabilities that other units do not have. It's in the game guide somewhere, or it was on the old list where the designers talked about this. I am pretty sure the GG covers this.

Just a quick check:

UnitClass 55=HQ Special infantry type used for A0, better artillery spotter than other 0 unit types

Note: The game guide contains an excellent glossary of military acronyms and terminology for several nationalities. Each unit with a "0" designator (A0, B0, C0 etc) is a leader who plays a vital role in rallying your troops and maintaining formation readiness (but note that casualties to your command units will cause another unit to take over the command functions of a formation). The "H", "C" or "P" letters in the left hand column of the Unit Status List indicate that this leader is in charge of a Headquarter, Company or Platoon formation. All new players should take a few moments to learn more about this and the other information and controls found on this screen in the headquarters screen].

Note, it deletes by platoon, and the next unit bought will use that platoon slot. Deleting a platoon from under a company type HQ makes a 'short' company with less platoons under command. Any individually bought platoons go under the A0 unit's direct command (A Company, or the HQ Company in organisational terms). All company HQ are under A0, and their subordinates are under them for rallying purposes. In the deployment menu in turn 0 (set up) you can now cross attach platoons under different company HQ.

Note that the overall HQ unit (A0) cannot be deleted, this is you!

Note that A0, your Battle Group commander, directly commands any independent platoons not currently under other company HQ commanders in his role as commander of the HQ company (A Company).

Company HQ leaders can rally any leaders or units in their subordinated platoons. A0 can rally any troops in line of comms including company commanders.

just to name a few, but I think in the campaign game if the A0 dies that is it.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

I used to upgrade the HQ to something more survivable but declined from it - if it was say tank it was all too easy to get lost in the heat of battle and charge HQ to the frontline with all negative results...
OTOH it is good to carry HQ around in an APC in late battle stage to kill crews to gain exp. Gamey, I know
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

Just as if to prove the point against upgrading your HQ

I just died the earliest in a campaign ever!!

See my AAR on KG Griffon, "Post Disaster Report, KG Griffon"

to see what can happen even when you are careful and the dreaded JABO's rule the skies.

PanzerBob

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe