.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 21st, 2007, 09:31 AM

Corporal

Chris_Byler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fortune Teller and stacking?

Quote:
Meglobob said:
The upshot of this is nations with fortune tellers can have misfortune 3 and view it has free design points.
Except it isn't; while your research province with 10 fortune tellers may be immune to the bad events, all your outlying provinces are still getting run over by barbarians, Bogus, plagues and hurricanes. *And* you're not getting free gold, gems and the other benefits of good events, and not getting heroes.

It's definitely not free the way Abysia's heat is free; more like the way MA Ulm's drain is "free" (but still hurts any indies they hire).
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:12 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Fotune tellers stop bad events but let good events through, so with misfortune 3 it still gives you good events.

If you select order 3 misfortune 3 for example playing LA Ulm and use fotune tellers alot. You can enjoy the higher income and have the majority of your 3 random events per turn be good events. This means free gold, gems etc... on top of the gold from order, you can have your cake and eat it.

Using fortune tellers order 3 misfortune 3 could very well match turmoil 3/luck 3, for good events over the course of an entire game.

Once you have a large enough kingdom you pretty much get 3 events per turn anyway, no matter what your scales. Also luck 3 still gives you a number of bad events.

The only real drawback/cost is no heros.
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Fotune tellers stop bad events but let good events through, so with misfortune 3 it still gives you good events.

I'm watching this closely since I'm interested, and I'm not sure you addressed what he said. (Either that, or you are dismissing it because he's wrong; I can't tell.) It looks like he made a good point that the fortune tellers only protect you in the province you have them in. This means in your example, you'd have to have 10 fortune tellers in every single province you own to avoid the misfortune! That's not free! .

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Once you have a large enough kingdom you pretty much get 3 events per turn anyway

I don't understand. Are you saying here that even with 3 Misfortune, this is approximately how many good events you normally get, per turn? That's how I read that.

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:13 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I think you're missing that the bad event is only prevented if it happens in the province that the FT is in, Meglobob. So in your 20+ province empire, unless you have 10 FTs in every province (which isn't possible, really) you're going to get bad events. They're more cap protection than anything else and while that's nice, it's nothing to build a strategy around.
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:17 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
BigJMoney said:
Quote:
Meglobob said:

I'm watching this closely since I'm interested, and I'm not sure you addressed what he said. (Either that, or you are dismissing it because he's wrong; I can't tell.) It looks like he made a good point that the fortune tellers only protect you in the province you have them in. This means in your example, you'd have to have 10 fortune tellers in every single province you own to avoid the misfortune! That's not free! .
Fortune tellers do only protect you in the province there in, having your capital 100% immune to bad events, yet still getting any good events and getting the added income from order 3 seems like a terrific deal to me.

Chris is correct, your dominion will spread into neighbouring provinces and then normal rules apply, you will have the normal effects of order 3 misfortune 3. Obviously, you are only going to ever have 10 fortune tellers at your capital, researching, with the added bonus of protection from bad events.

Other centres of power you have, you can protect with 1 or 2 fortune tellers, they have S1 or S2 so its not too hard to teleport them around. Each 1 looks to have a 10% chance of stopping a bad event.

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Once you have a large enough kingdom you pretty much get 3 events per turn anyway

I don't understand. Are you saying here that even with 3 Misfortune, this is approximately how many good events you normally get, per turn? That's how I read that.

=$= Big J Money =$=

[/quote]

The cap on events is 3, good or bad, barring unusual occurances, take luck 3 or anything inbetween to misfortune 3 you will get random events. When your kingdom reachs a certain size, you will have 3 random events good or bad each turn, no matter what. Fortune tellers just shuffle the deck in your favour. Remember luck 3 still gives quite a number of bad events anyway.

Quote:
Sombre said:
I think you're missing that the bad event is only prevented if it happens in the province that the FT is in, Meglobob. So in your 20+ province empire, unless you have 10 FTs in every province (which isn't possible, really) you're going to get bad events. They're more cap protection than anything else and while that's nice, it's nothing to build a strategy around.
Who said anything about building a strategy around?

Its just a great bonus and part of a overall strategy of having order 3 misfortune 3 scales for example when playing LA Ulm.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

Just a small point here. While Fortunetellers are good, the Sibyls of LE Arco have Fortuneteller(15).