This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Modding: Doctrins

Using the "Cultural Achievements" Technology, would it be possible to create a system where a player could research a Technology which permanently grants a boost to a specific ability until the "researches. Think researching a technology should indicate activating a certain doctrin. Only one doctrin can be in effect at a time.

I.e.

Doctrin: Power from Wealth
Requires 1 Research
Increases empire-wide ressource mining by 10 %.

Doctrin: Holy War
Requires 1 Research
Increases empire-wide sy construction rate by 10 %

Docrin: Initiative through Innovation
Requires 1 Research
Increases empire-wide research by 10 %.

Now would it be possible to make it so that only one doctrin can be in effect at one time ?
Im thinking that every doctrins could have an invisible ability that automaticly offsets the other active "doctrins" (aka research) but that oc would not be optimal.

If this is not possible, is there a way to tie technology to each other and say that Tech A can only be researched if Tech B is not already research and vise-versa ?
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Captain

dmm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Modding: Doctrins

You could do this if they were in a single line of research. For instance: Wealth, Jihad, Innovation. Then, Wealth gives +10% mining, Jihad gives -10% mining and +10% construction, Innovation gives -10% construction and +10% research. So each doctrine cancels the prior benefit and substitutes its own benefit. (Not sure how you would justify the order.) Perhaps the first one could be very expensive to research, and all subsequent ones could be very cheap. So then you could stop on the doctrine you actually wanted. You could even have levels. The levels of doctrines would be widely separated (in research points) but the choice of doctrines would be closely separated.
Example:
Wealth I....10000
Jihad I.......10100
Innov. I......10200
Wealth II....20000
Jihad II......20100
Innov. II.....20200
Unfortunately, you couldn't stay at Wealth I while researching Wealth II. You'd have to go to Innov. I doctrine for a while. You could justify this with some bad history/economics baloney.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Corporal

MrToxin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Modding: Doctrins

This is one of those things that just doesn't quite jive well with how SE V works, but here's how I'd do it with culture and technology:

Code:
Name                                            := Doctrine - Extreme Wealth

Description := By focusing on wealth we can DIG FASTA YE GITZ
Picture Number :=
Portrait Filename := Event_PopulationHappy.jpg
Large Portrait Filename := LargePortrait_Event_PopulationHappy.jpg
Maximum Level := 100
Number Of Requirements := 1

Requirements Evaluation Availability := AND
Requirements Evaluation Allows Placement := TRUE
Requirements Evaluation Allows Usage := TRUE

Requirement 1 Description := Empire must have spent more time developing Doctrine - Extreme Wealth than other

doctrines.
Requirement 1 Formula := (Get_Empire_Tech_Level("Doctrine - Extreme Wealth")) >

(MAX(Get_Empire_Tech_Level("Doctrine - WAAAGH"), Get_Empire_Tech_Level("Doctrine - Technicol Bitz")))

Number Of Abilities := 1

Ability 1 Type := Resource Gen Modifier - Minerals
Ability 1 Description := All planets DIG FASTA by [%Amount1%]%.
Ability 1 Scope := Galaxy - This Player
Ability 1 Range Formula := 0
Ability 1 Amount 1 Formula := Iif((Get_Empire_Tech_Level("Doctrine - Extreme Wealth")) >

(MAX(Get_Empire_Tech_Level("Doctrine - WAAAGH"), Get_Empire_Tech_Level("Doctrine - Technicol Bitz"))), [%Level%], 0))Ability 1 Amount 2 Formula := 0

[b]How it works[b]

First things first: I did NOT test this, this is just a quickly stuffed together idea. But, anyway...the idea is to have the MAX statement judge the level of the ability (you can make this always one level with a bit of tinkering). If EITHER of the other techs is higher than Extreme Wealth, the culture does not advance.

By putting it in the ability itself in an IF statement (which I probably got in the wrong order so bleh), you can have it set so that you get the bonus ONLY if the Doctrine - Extreme Wealth tech is the highest one. Otherwise, the bonus is 0%.

By researching one higher than the others, you end up with THAT specific bonus.

The only problem comes from if the Cultural abilities update every turn or only when techs are researched. If it's the latter (I haven't had enough time to test all of this yet), have the LEVEL go up for every doctrine but the ability modifier be constant or affected by the only tech area you want to apply.