.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:20 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Patch notes

Quote:
chrispedersen said:
I *hate* SC's.

SC's have existed throughout fantasy history... everything from the ancient story of Beowulf to Superman to even Lords of the Ring !! If the SCs are removed from these stories, there's not much remaining. If you prefer games without SC's you'd have to lean towards games which are purely military historical with not even a tiny spice of fantasy... yet these games still have thug types.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:34 AM

General

Quote:
JimMorrison said:
However I'll agree on a third, contrasting point - since people cannot agree on the validity or necessity of a change, it's incredibly unlikely that there will be a hardcoded change to the turn limit - almost as unlikely that we'd actually get a custom setting added for it at this point.

<3
Yes there are differences of opinion, but the custom setting would please everyone. The custom setting allows the game to become flexible with the more powerful computers of today and tomorrow. I'd love to have a battle of 80000 defenders verses 90000 attackers at a castle sometime on a computer I'll own in the future.

A custom setting for the commander limit and unit limit would be another great feature thus virtually removing these topics from the forums.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
I'd love to have a battle of 80000 defenders verses 90000 attackers at a castle sometime on a computer I'll own in the future.

This discussion continues to shock me. You don't just want the huge battle, you want that a huge battle featuring thousands of unit... ends in a plain little month. Really, how does that improve the game? This is the unrealistic matter to me. Meh.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:28 AM

General

Quote:
Tifone said:
This discussion continues to shock me. You don't just want the huge battle, you want that a huge battle featuring thousands of unit... ends in a plain little month. Really, how does that improve the game? This is the unrealistic matter to me. Meh.
Thousands of units(people) have fought and died within a few days throughout our history. Nothing unrealistic about the battles from history! There's no reason for battles within a game to be limited to small numbers considering the many battles from history where the computers of today and tomorrow are able to make it possible.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:21 AM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

Considering realism, one of the hardest to believe things in this game, apart from magic, is the fact that a single being could conquer and hold a province so big it takes a month for an army to cross.

Single being.

I'm so not buying that.

:-P
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:54 AM

Corporal

Karlem is on a distinguished road

Is that really one of the hardest thing to believe? I mean, hardest that conquering a Niefel fort by Caelum and suddenly all the population going from gigants to Wingedmen?

A powerful being can control a quite big land after he destroys the armies there. There will be some people unhappy (unrest) until you prove the that living under your government is better than previous condition (tax=0).

Of course there aren't historical examples, but just thing of greater acomplishments made by small numbers of people. 300? Or conquering South America with a couple of spanish people .
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:11 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

He was probably thinking of a single scout or even a spawned maenad taking over a province if there are no pd there.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Oh please, don't make things so difficult, it's a game, really ^_^ and pretty fun also

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM

Private

Svamptripp is on a distinguished road

I'm with chrispedersen, I hate SCs as well. And if limiting the turns helps to limit SCs power then I'm all for the turn limit. However NTJedi has a point as well. I'd really like to see big battles as he describes. Hmmm I guess that in the end whatever the developers do we'll just have to accept it.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lingchih said:
I'm getting tired head on this post.

For the record, I would remove the turn limit completely. We all have modern computers. Let them fight it out till the end.
There has to be some kind of limit. Given fast enough computers it can be arbitrarily large, but it is possible for a battle to reach a stalemate (2 SCs with high regen and reinvig, but only weak attacks, or attacks that the other is immune to, say both with 2 shields and trample) Even the fastest computers do not finish infinite loops quickly