.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temples, Afflictions, and more

A few questions that keep cropping up in my mind. There may be a better way to find the answers but I am all read out in that dang manual.

I am going to lump all magic users as 'mages' for simplicity.

I keep hearing about Lvl 3 mages ect. Now I come from a background that uses the old EXP format that you 'LvL' up and that gives you more power, spells, ect. HOW do you Lvl up in this game...I just can't seem to get that thru my head.

2. Temples....say you are Fomoria, Your mage does NOT build Temples and its the only magic user you have as a nation.

You can take over a province and have Indy mages BUT you need a temple to recruit one. Its like a big circle, I even recruited a Merc Mage thinking I could use it to build a Temple so I could build a mage that builds temples, but noooooooo. What am I missing!!!!!!!!!!

3. Lets say I am playing Arco and the Priestess can heal afflictions. I have an army with 3 commanders and 2 have afflictions one of them my Prophet. How can I have my priestess cast heal and make sure the right unit gets the 'fix', short of taking that specific commander to a seperate province with the Priestess so its just those 2 (and to be honest i'm not sure that works either).

I have tried to cast heal in my Capitol to cure Mages of afflictions but that doesn't seem to work (the best I can figure is that the spell does NOT work on afflictions caused by age.

Thanks for any help and if I seem to be trying to take the easy way out, maybe I am. However, it seems that most of you are talking a whole different language than I am and I have read that D&*^% Manual 3 times front to back.
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Temples, Afflictions, and more

Leveling up (more stars) give you increased stats but never a higher magic path. To do that you need to empower using gems. It's very confusing compared to a more traditional game.

Temples can only be built by priests with holy magic. A traditional "mage" can only build labs. Look for the candelabra icon where the magic path icons are. Fomorian priests are the druids I believe. They have both nature and holy magic so they can bulid both labs and temples.

Healers attempt to heal everyone in the province, but there's no guarantee of success. You can't cure old age, but the afflictions can be cured (but they might come back)
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:28 PM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

Fomoria's main mages, the Kings, also have Holy and can build temples
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

1. You have to get this idea completely out of your head. Basically, mages can't level up in Dominions. They can use gear to make them more powerful though.

2. As sector24 said, you need to use a priest to build a temple.

3. Healers make a healing attempt on every injured character in a province when given the heal order. So you should have all of your injured people there so the healer can heal them all at once. However, some afflictions are hard to heal and it may be some time before the healer succeeds.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rytek is on a distinguished road

Afflictions casued by old age cannot be healed by healers.

Only 2 ways to heal afflictions caused by old age:
The Chalice and having the global spell, Gift of health up and your afflicted commander in a friendly dominion.

Also, healers cannot heal afflictions on Demons and undead as well.
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:18 PM

First Lieutenant

K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rytek View Post

Also, healers cannot heal afflictions on Demons and undead as well.
Are you sure about demons? I thought lifeless and undead units couldn't be healed.

---------------------
2. Remember that when you use the Prophet command, you give Holy magic to one of your commanders and he can build a temple. Since after a Prophet dies there a certain time lag before you can make another, there can be period where you can't make temples.
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rytek is on a distinguished road

Posotive about demons. Start a game with ea arco and start with a moloch. go get it afflicted, bring it home to your priestess. they wont be able to heal it.
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:39 AM

Corporal

Ming is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer View Post

I keep hearing about Lvl 3 mages ect. Now I come from a background that uses the old EXP format that you 'LvL' up and that gives you more power, spells, ect. HOW do you Lvl up in this game...I just can't seem to get that thru my head.

:
I think when someone says lvl3 mages they are more likely to refer to a mage that has 3 lvls in a path of magic, rather than 3 experience lvls/stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer View Post

I have tried to cast heal in my Capitol to cure Mages of afflictions but that doesn't seem to work

:
Healing afflictions is an ability that can be used by choosing the action from the healer's list of possible actions (click on the bottom of the healer's icon) and is completely different from the healing spell.
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:55 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

It might be nice if there were a heroic ability for mages only, that allowed them to gain an extra level in a path, say every 2 stars.
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:28 AM

Sergeant

Poopsi is an unknown quantity at this point

dont some priests gain extra holy powers with experience? I think that my Marignonian cardinal hero had holy 3 at first and then improved to holy 4, and I think I saw that with a common Hl priest a while ago as well...