Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Mod Bretonnia, Knights of the Grail - Page 8 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 11th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bretonnia, Knights of the Grail v.0.83 -- Finally a stable release!

Indies 5? I try not to touch defaults except for renaming.
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:12 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

I plan on commenting some day, but have not had much time for testing lately Between overlords and tourmaline I am using up a lot of brainpower these days. In fact I have had time for nothing but those two games today. And I am still playing around with my first bretonnia game, since I have this compulsion to not stop playing until I've gotten it "finished". My victory is assured, but there are still things I want to try out.

Then I will actually get to play around with optimum strategies, build orders, and expansion phases.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 12th, 2009, 01:14 AM

Corporal

Radio_Star is on a distinguished road

On indies 5 I've been able to get 30+ spread out provinces with heroes in one year and I can reliably bring down somewhere in the low 20s with a more centered and balanced expansion strat. Part of the key is probably the first fort. First fort MUST start at turn 3 at the latest.
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:54 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the all of you for contributions to the discussion. It's a shame that I don't have the time to give appropiate respond to each point, but I'll try to pick up the things I need to address.

About the pretenders in general, I'd highly recomment taking some death if your pretender has nature magic. Lamia Quuens are perfect for this nation to diverse into death and minor blood magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Edit: I am a little disappointed the archers don't have longbows. I mean, their precision sucks, and it should, but in WH they have longbows.
Yeah, I know. But longbows in dominions are seriously awesome. No matter how low I make their prec, the longbows will overshadow the knights by a wide margin. This would result in rather unthematic 90% Longbow armies with some yeomen arrow catchers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Ok, the magnitude of their unrest reduction seems to be different than what burnsaber is advocating. Taxing at 120% with ~10 KotR present (and no patrolling) i'm at a steady state 2 unrest. Based on burnsaber's statement, 4 should be able to keep 120% taxation at 0 unrest.
Hmm, this might be a bug, I'll look into it. Perhaps the #incunrest -1 command dosn't work on non-commanders? I deem that reather unlikely, considering that it's just the like unrest increasing aspect of Panganean satyr sneaks, expect in reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Star View Post
On indies 5 I've been able to get 30+ spread out provinces with heroes in one year and I can reliably bring down somewhere in the low 20s with a more centered and balanced expansion strat. Part of the key is probably the first fort. First fort MUST start at turn 3 at the latest.
I'll have to try out this Hero expansion strat. Sounds intresting.
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Star View Post
Wait, do you try to expand blind with your starting army? Or do you put a fort up right next to your capitol? I can't see putting a fortress up before turn 4 *ever*, because you don't want to drain resources from your capitol.
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Corporal

Radio_Star is on a distinguished road

I drop the 1st fort right next to the cap. I'm not an enormous fan of Grail Knights, so robbing resources from the capitol when the trade is faster expansion is worth it to me. To be competitive, there's just so much you're going to have to do so fast with this nation. You've gotta blitz out and grab turf while throwing up forts like mad to deter opposition and crank out more thugs, all the while you're racing against the clock to establish a secure base and make the switch to mage/research production and adding a couple massively expensive labs. With so much to do so fast, squeezing the most out of every possible turn seems vital, even to the point of robbing resources from your cap.
Old September 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Just a small tip: If you're going to use grail knights and maidens to expand, try making thaum your first research target. Site searching is always useful, but the main reason I say this is that thaum 1 has the spell numbness, which all your maidens can cast. Its precision 100, aoe1, so you can't hit your grail knights, and it will fatigue the opposing troops. However, its real value is in the fact that it will keep your maidens from stupidly rushing into melee if the combat goes longer than 6 or 7 rounds.
Old September 13th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Just a small tip: If you're going to use grail knights and maidens to expand, try making thaum your first research target. Site searching is always useful, but the main reason I say this is that thaum 1 has the spell numbness, which all your maidens can cast. Its precision 100, aoe1, so you can't hit your grail knights, and it will fatigue the opposing troops. However, its real value is in the fact that it will keep your maidens from stupidly rushing into melee if the combat goes longer than 6 or 7 rounds.
"Numbness" is alteration 2 and requires W2 to cast. You are likely thinking of "Dessication" spell, which is thaumathurgy 1 and requires only water 1 to cast.
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

err, yeah, my bad
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this mod Burn. It's absolutely top stuff.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs