Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old December 26th, 2009, 07:49 PM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Range Key Doesn't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuNce View Post
I'd also like an hotkey to choose 1/2 the range, since is the one I use the most. During the first turn I check all my unit ranges and set them to an appropriate value, with leaders set to a lower distance.
Zero and one are also popular keyboard commands for me (off the Y command), as I often will reduce all my infantry to some minimal range like that to encourage armored ambush and to help from being seen from distance rifle fire. Then when the enemy infantry show up a good many of them will get the M command (off the Y comamnd).
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Suggest check your keyboard both H & Y have always worked, do you have them assigned as hot keys to other running programs which take precidence.
I was talking about the H key not working once the Y key (range) had been used. In that sub-menu it does not work, but all the others do.
Okay misunderstood, never noticed those hotkeys to be honest
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:45 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

The targeted unit is kept unless it moves out of sight, you move too much and your stabilizer can't keep up, or your unit op fires onto other unit as far as i can tell
Old December 27th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
The targeted unit is kept unless it moves out of sight, you move too much and your stabilizer can't keep up, or your unit op fires onto other unit as far as i can tell
Thanks for that, but I wonder sometimes. For instance, assume that, as in my current game, you have 3 Polish AC's in sight of one PZIVB. They all are moving, yet the target the tank has gave a 19% result when going through the target selection, yet, another of those targets, actually further away and with the same size and movement status (all moving, but with different speeds) pulled up 21%.

Here's a strange one, and I've never noticed this before. I have a clump of cavalry a good 500 yds in front of some polish tanks, which my PZIIIB/D can see all of them. Leave all the guns active and it targets the closest cavalry. Turn off the main gun to engage it with MG's only, and re-target it, and now it selects a tank first. Needless to say, if that targeter were always just targeting the last fired at unit, if indeed it had any (and from what I can tell it actually did not fire on the AI turn), then it shouldn't come up with different targets just because I turned the main gun off. The silly thing about it, is that the MG weapon can't range out to the 1650yds that the tank is at, and it being an HE weapon should make it even more prone to target the cavalry which is within it's range. I don't consider that targeting a unit it now cannot fire at is anything to worry about, because it will show it cannto fire that far if you actually try to fire, but what is a bit troubling is that it comes up with different results as though just changing a gun makes it think it fired differently than it did. I understand that "if" the unit had fired on my turn, but not on the AI turn, it 'might' retain the last time I fired with it (though this tank did not fire on that cavalry on my turn and I don't think it did on the AI turn either) and also that it might just be the last unit it 'targeted' not the last unit it 'fired upon'. Beats me.

Last edited by Charles22; December 27th, 2009 at 05:17 PM..
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:08 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for that, but I wonder sometimes. For instance, assume that, as in my current game, you have 3 Polish AC's in sight of one PZIVB. They all are moving, yet the target the tank has gave a 19% result when going through the target selection, yet, another of those targets, actually further away and with the same size and movement status (all moving, but with different speeds) pulled up 21%.
The furthest of the targets was probrably the one you/tank crew shot/opfired, or at least targeted the last turn, so the hit chance is increased for the next shot, that's called target solution, the crew is trying to find out how to take a shot that hits.
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The furthest of the targets was probrably the one you/tank crew shot/opfired, or at least targeted the last turn, so the hit chance is increased for the next shot, that's called target solution, the crew is trying to find out how to take a shot that hits.
That may be an accurate accessment, and it's one I'm trying to believe, but it does contradict what you said earlier. If I have a unit and hit F, then the target it comes up with first, is the one it shot at last, is what you seemed to have told me. I know there are some SP's that worked that way, but this one and some of the earlier versions don't appear to do that. How many times, for instance, have I hit F and it actually gives me the furtherest target, one completely outside of the range I gave it, and often even completely outside the range of any of the unit's guns?
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM

First Lieutenant

F is the hotkey for FIRE, the hotkey to set target is T, so, when you press f you are firing at the designated target, if there is one, if not, unit won't fire.
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:49 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
F is the hotkey for FIRE, the hotkey to set target is T, so, when you press f you are firing at the designated target, if there is one, if not, unit won't fire.
That sounds right. My knowledge of what I'm hitting on the keyboard largely stems from a spot on that keyboard, or a certain sequence to hit, and so what happens to be painted on those keys is absent sometimes. I must think I'm hitting F when I'm hitting T.
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:44 AM

First Lieutenant

they're close to each other so, yeah, you might be hitting the wrong key, happens a lot for people who can't type without looking at the keyboard
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:05 PM

Sergeant

I have found a rather interesting game improvement guys. Now I don't think the game works this way for infantry, or if it does I certainly haven't fired with them much, but I do have two PZ38t's which are doing this. What happened was I fired their entire load on a target and then dropped their range to zero so they won't fire during the AI turn, and therefore I won't waste accuracy on them re-targeting then.

Anyway, I came back to those tanks and fired their entire load again, however, their range stayed at ZERO instead of ranging out as far as they fired. Now is that a much needed keeping of the prior range or what? I blinked my eyes for a minute as i couldn't believe wwhat I just saw, and sure enough, the next tank did the same thing, keeping it's prior zero range. Of course if you want range to always go out to the distance being fired at, this can be a hassle. I guess time well tell if this is a good feature.

Another unrelated thing I noticed, it seems my IG's instead of having a range limit on the map, simply won't fire when it comes time to do so. I reset all guns (150mm and 75mm German) to bombard the same spot again, after I could has swore they didn't bombard and should had; same result. Time passes and they don't bombard. I think the 150mm may technically reach those targets rangewise while I'm pretty certain the 75's would not. The prior version, if you tried to target beyond their range on a hex, would take away the bombard command. To further test out those guns a bit, I switched roles with my off-board artillery and used the IG's much closer up, and they performed perfectly normally.

If this indeed is happening, it may not be a bad thing, as units would't know probably for sure how far their rounds would go, but those rounds should be expended and fall short. If those rounds were falling short they were at least 20 hexes short, and I saw no artillery of my own hitting in some weird area I wouldn't had targeted. I hadn't thought of checking their load to see if any had been used, but these bombard commands went for two straight turns, sufficient to build up a good smoke concentration over my guns, and they did no such thing until I switched them to the shorter ranged targets.

BTW, when I said they didn't bombard for two straight turns, I mean they went through their entire delay two straight times and didn't bombard (their delays were 2.2 when spotting through a VB). That would total 4-5 turns of their not bombarding until I shortened their range and they then bombarded on time (after another 2.2 delay).

Last edited by Charles22; January 2nd, 2010 at 08:17 PM..