.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:50 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Running.

that would be... fun...
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:40 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

My internet is down.. can we get a 36 hour extension pls?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
My internet is down.. can we get a 36 hour extension pls?
Request received. Sorry to hear that. Try to stay in touch with me via whatever means you can manage and let me know if the situation changes.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

For game 2, I'm decided against the image edits, to keep things simpler for me, because the locations were irregular and too close to the AI and magic sites, and to implement my freelancer concept (see description in next post).

In addition to the subterranean lake in which R'lyeh's cap will be located, I'm creating 5 other underground lake (sea) provinces located in the 4 corners of the map and the former central magic site which will keep obstructions to the land game to a minimum. These 4 corner lakes will be connected to the central lake via underground streams/tunnels, but not to each other and not to R'lyeh's cap. See image below:

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Human Freelancer/Privateer nation:

A singe human played nation, in this case, Atlantis. This is great position for someone who fancies themselves as a mercenary for hire/pirate and wants to play without the complications of team communication and diplomacy. The position is impartial and unbias, thus can be played by anyone even game admins if need be. The player who plays can name them what they like, or I can give them a merc sounding aquatic name.

Simple rules:

1. The freelancer nation's thematic path is water and they are located in the cental underwater lake site.
2. The cap is inviolate and cannot be attacked and taken by human players (except to pass through the cap, see below).
3. The freelancers can attack indies but cannot attack the AI or human players unless under contract.
4. Freelancers cap can be located on water related magic sites, gold producing sites, given starting troops, or given Krakens for cap defense just in case.

The player can set up shop in the Deva's Den and can offer a list of services they are willing to provide to interested teams, requests can be made via PM to preserve anonymity.

Example services:

a. Province intel (scouting report) - 30 gold
b. Forge a water gem based item - 40 gold and up
c. site search (water only) - 75 gold
d. Stealth preach a target (for 3 turns?) 100 gold
e. Assasination attempt - 125 gold
f. Attack a single province or any province of a single nation AI or human:
- small attack (20 sacreds) - 150 gold
- medium attack (40 sacreds) - 300 gold
- kill them all! (60 sacreds) - 600 gold
g. Attack a team (any available provinces)
- 5 turn contract - 800 gold
- 10 turn contract - 1,600 gold
h. Toll passage (one way, granted to any army to move through the central cap for one turn) - 2,500 gold

These services help to offset the cost of recruiting troops and keep their prices competitive with in-game mercs. The above is just an example of what can be offered.

Last edited by Septimius Severus; February 22nd, 2010 at 02:54 PM..
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

After my experience with overlords, I tend to think that the Freelancers are too complicated to really work. Also, based on my experiences with *this game*, having teams is complication enough for *anyone*! Do we really need any additional roles not supported by the rules?

It's never easy to say goodbye.

rdonj, who's been the director of research, development and brutality engineering since the inception of team Easy-Slay(TM), is leaving the easy-slay(TM) family for, we all hope, greener pastures. Let's all give him a big hand. We couldn't have made it this far without him. We've got this watch for him, and a gift basket full of the severed heads of our many enemies.

Industry veteran Frank Trollman, who is both the root and flower of despair, has agreed to take an interim appointment as research director and inspirational madman.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
The Following User Says Thank You to DrPraetorious For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:25 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Well, I am sorry to hear of the loss of rdonj (I believe rdonj is dropping games to concentrate more on real world things), must remember that myself sometime. Even though currently my enemy, a fine player and adversary.

DrP, I never thought of teams as complicated, either you've got a team game or you've got free for all type game. The idea behind the privateer nation is quite simple: A single non-alligned or neutral nation (who can attack indies and can attack human players if payed or in self defense (something I forgot to mention). Hope I haven't overcomplicated things trying to make the inclusion of R'lyeh as simple, uncomplicated, and easy as possible for me and everyone else. Want to wrap up this planning as quickly as possible and shelve it.

I've come up with some other names to replac Haleheim, representing earth, fire, and steel. Had lots of fun coming up with them too:

Children of Crom *
Combustible Champions
Glowing Gladiators
Hot-Blooded Heroes *
Infernal Instigators
Fiery Foes
Madcap Men-at-arms
Nether(world) Knights *
Piping Paladins
Sizzling Soldiers
Subterranean Soldiers
Subterrenean Sentinels
Underground Upholders
Volcanic Vanquishers
Warriors of Wrath
White-hot Warmongers *
Wild Warlords

* = my personal favorites.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

Just in case chrispedersen doesn't need the delay I need it too.

The mercenary nations sounds like fun ... I guess if I get the chance Id play it but with the current suggestions it's much to cheap.
I mean 300 gold for 40 sacreds? A team can afford 6 such attacks on turn 1 and 40 sacreds attacking your cap on turn 2 are not exactly fun.
Maybe I understand this wrong, but the mercenaries should be more expensive than using your own forces, but more easily deployed.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the fine send-off DrP .

Yeah, that is exactly right septimius. Like I've said elsewhere dominions has been taking a lot of time I need for other things. NaV in particular has been taking somewhere around 4 hours a day of my time . That's the biggest thing team games take from you... time. Communicating with allies, plotting, figuring out how you're going to accomplish x objective in y time. I guess they're also complicated in the same sense, the organization of multiple different player's turns. And planning for how you're going to defend yourself against 12 different nations simultaneously .

Anyway, enemies of the Devas, don't rejoice too much over my departure. Frank Trollman is a fine player, and the Devas have many more tricks up their sleeves. Under the Trollman's guidance, I have no doubt that the latest in Easy-Slay(TM) technology will hit the markets in no time and be a smashing success.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
The Following User Says Thank You to rdonj For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stagger Lee is on a distinguished road

You know, this thread is boring. Where's the drama? The passion?

rdonj is leaving, and here's his replacement.

Won't somebody question his motives? His integrity?

Oh well.

Really, I'm sorry to see you go rdonj. We never actually got to square off (lucky for me). I'm sorry about that up there, but I saw your sub hunt thread for that other game - WOW!

Welcome Mr. Trollman. My wife has baked a nice pie. If you would just raise the gate and lower the drawbridge, so my messenger can bring it inside...