.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 11th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

Korwin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rock the Cradle--Noob Only! (Beginning--No More Open Spots)

Like I said, the advantage of the Llamaserver I like is the possiblility of changing the admin. (And I think it sends the turns automatically out)

That said, Llamaserver is not an must have for me.
At the moment I'm with Colonial, whatever is faster.
(Thats the reason I set it up on Llamaserver, to get the speed-bumps out of the way.)

So whatever we end up doing, I'm open for both.
**** we could even do it parallel. Same nation/pretender, etc. but the variable factors wouldnt be the same.

For the record, before it comes to pass that the game doesnt happen, I'll do the Admin work on Llamaserver. (shouldnt be to much, I hope.)
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM

Sergeant

earwicker7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korwin View Post
Like I said, the advantage of the Llamaserver I like is the possiblility of changing the admin. (And I think it sends the turns automatically out)

That said, Llamaserver is not an must have for me.
At the moment I'm with Colonial, whatever is faster.
(Thats the reason I set it up on Llamaserver, to get the speed-bumps out of the way.)

So whatever we end up doing, I'm open for both.
**** we could even do it parallel. Same nation/pretender, etc. but the variable factors wouldnt be the same.

For the record, before it comes to pass that the game doesnt happen, I'll do the Admin work on Llamaserver. (shouldnt be to much, I hope.)
Korwin, that would be sweet if you could admin!

I hope there are no hard feelings with anyone on the forum; I don't want to sound *****y... I guess I'm just a bit of a control freak, so if it's my game, I kind of want to do it my way

EDIT--If you want to do it, let me know, and I'll send in my pretender file tonight.
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Private

fumanstu is on a distinguished road

I've sent my turn in to llamaserver as well but I really don't mind which we do. If there is less of an admin burden with using llama then I say go for that - one less thing for someone to think about and we can just get on and have fun.
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Sergeant

Colonial is on a distinguished road

My pretender has been sent to llamaserver
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Korwin is on a distinguished road

OK, I'll admin the Llamaserver game.

The more I think about it, the more I would like an "alternate timeline game".
I mean two games with the same starting conditions, same players with the same nations and same pretenders...

I bet after turn 20 the two games look totally different...

Edit: 4 Pretenders from 10 are submited.
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korwin View Post
OK, I'll admin the Llamaserver game.

The more I think about it, the more I would like an "alternate timeline game".
I mean two games with the same starting conditions, same players with the same nations and same pretenders...

I bet after turn 20 the two games look totally different...

Edit: 4 Pretenders from 10 are submited.
You'll have mine in about 5 hours. I don't think I have time to play two games, but it's a cool idea.
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Corporal

CthulhuDreams is on a distinguished road

The main reason to use Llama server is reduced administration overhead

A) The host doesn't have to do any work unless a player drops out

Turn generation and mailings is done by the server. This is great if quick host is enabled and you have players in multiple different timezones, because it doesn't matter if I send the last 2h file in at 3am US time it will be generated and mailed out instantly, not when the host gets back from work.

B) Players can see that their turn has been sent to them by llamaserver, or that llama server hasn't got the turn they sent yet.

This helps a lot with modern email spam filters - as dominions PBEM games are mass mailings with attachments, they look and smell like spammers, and as a result they often get sucked into more aggressive spam filters.

C) If email doesn't work, llamaserver still does because you can direct download

My other PBEM game (which is direct mail) at the moment is on haitus because the hosts email service won't let him send emails. If it's hosted by llama server, you're in business.

IMHO these benefits are worth MUCH more than any cheating protection - the spam filter thing alone is a major issue with direct email games. I've been dinged for not sending a file before, when I had and the host's spam filter ate it which enraged me.
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuDreams View Post
The main reason to use Llama server is reduced administration overhead

A) The host doesn't have to do any work unless a player drops out

Turn generation and mailings is done by the server. This is great if quick host is enabled and you have players in multiple different timezones, because it doesn't matter if I send the last 2h file in at 3am US time it will be generated and mailed out instantly, not when the host gets back from work.

B) Players can see that their turn has been sent to them by llamaserver, or that llama server hasn't got the turn they sent yet.

This helps a lot with modern email spam filters - as dominions PBEM games are mass mailings with attachments, they look and smell like spammers, and as a result they often get sucked into more aggressive spam filters.

C) If email doesn't work, llamaserver still does because you can direct download

My other PBEM game (which is direct mail) at the moment is on haitus because the hosts email service won't let him send emails. If it's hosted by llama server, you're in business.

IMHO these benefits are worth MUCH more than any cheating protection - the spam filter thing alone is a major issue with direct email games. I've been dinged for not sending a file before, when I had and the host's spam filter ate it which enraged me.
I see where you're coming from, but my concern is more along the line of looking at it from the opposite perspective; what happens to the person who, through no fault of their own, has their car break down and misses the deadline by half an hour? That would lead to a stale turn, wouldn't it? This seems like the type of game where a stale turn could destroy you.

I actually wasn't that worried about the overhead I'd have to deal with... in a way, I was kind of looking forward to it; as I mentioned before, it almost reminds me of my Dungeon Master days, of which I have very fond memories.

I already fished a couple of pretender files out of junk mail... I'd think most computer literate people would know better than to not check there.

Anyways, if I'm the admin, I prefer a more hands-on approach, but I guess this is all a moot point, as we have someone who doesn't mind administrating from llamaserver, so I'm good to go
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:52 PM

Corporal

nrasch is on a distinguished road

Hrmm, for some reason my thread notification wasn't kicking in. I didn't see we were using Llama. Pretender sent!
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:22 PM

Private

Patolixo is on a distinguished road

Okay, atlantis' pretender sent to Llama.