Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Making leadership matter - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 5th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

kianduatha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Making leadership matter

Unfortunately I am fairly sure that what you propose is quite impossible to implement in a mod. The closest that can be managed is giving all national commanders a hefty Standard effect, but I'm not sure that would change anyone's behavior.

Traditionally the solution to "making leadership matter" is to simply run NI games to force players to use national commanders.
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Corporal

fantasma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasma View Post
you could give them a autocast sermon of courage or strength of giant, legion of steels, etc., couldn't you?
True. Most of the spell effects seem overpowered though. Other than maybe on expensive capital only commanders.

Might be a nice concept to base a mod nation around.
You think a single cast of sermon of courage at the start too powerful? If it were iron warriors or body ethereal, then yeah, maybe. But then again there is always a price.
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:19 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Not sermon, though I'd rather use Standard for that.

The other suggestions, Strength of Giants and Legion of Steel would be a bit much, I think. At least as an add on to an already balanced nation. As I said, a mod nation balanced around such troop boosts would be interesting.

I also don't think the small AoE effects, like Iron Warriors or Body Ethereal fit very well. They're most likely to affect the command and/or a couple of others and would probably be used to boost thugs rather than normal troops, which misses the intent. I'd rather see larger area, lesser effect, even if the total effect is more powerful.
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Standard's about the solution to the issue, if it exists.
The problem is that leaders you send to do the fighting (thugs) tend to die, so you have to rely on others leading the troops. There's little way of changing that.

However, I strongly disagree with the proposition that there's never a lack of leaders.
If you manage to trap an army somewhere and assassinate its leader, you may pin it for quite a while by repeatedly killing whatever commander is recruited in that province before he can move (through a combo of assassins, seeking arrows, earth attacks...). This doen't happen very often, but when you can paralyze an army without nearby commanders, you can reap a huge tactical advantage.
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I repeat my suggestion, perhaps clearer. To make it worth while to recruit national commanders give them a retinue upon recruit. It's not a novel idea, I saw it in one of WH mods. It's a nice perk and has the psych. effect to encourage the player to recruit a commander.
Ex. recruit an emerald lord, get 1-5 emerald guards depends on dom strength, only once, only when recruited.
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

commanders who cast #onebattlespells are an interesting idea actually...

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:39 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

The biggest problem with the idea is that there's no way to mod spells to affect only "human" or "atlantian" units. So any commander you have is going to be exactly as good for any units you have. Giving commanders sermon of courage isn't too bad, but you have to be careful to not make priests superfluous. Then you run into problems like it not being possible to give +attack skill modifiers below +4, or defense without quickness. Things like that. So the number of things you could give these commanders would necessarily be very limited, or very powerful. There's no real in-between.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM

Corporal

fantasma is on a distinguished road

I didn't find a list of possible spell effects beyond the limited table in the modding manual. Do you have any?

In case of too powerful, you can always increase gold cost and then you still don't recruit a mage.
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:29 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I can help out with resources for spell modding if you're interested. But basically, you can do any effect which any spell currently in the game does, but you can't do any new ones. For example, there are spells which increase strength (and MR, and attack) by 4, so you can do that. But you can't increase strength by 3.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

You can also change range and AoE, right? So you could make a spell that did +4 str in a 10 AoE centered on the caster. Can you then make that a #onebattlespell? I have some vague memory of only being able to do that with existing spells.