.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM

Sergeant

revenant2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BSoD (Newbie, LA, CBM 1.92) [Started!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by parone View Post
shard, me thinks that is not accurate. i was at war with abysia when you attacked me-i didn't threaten you! you said you were going to attack and so i threatened to kill every one of your men you moved across the bridge(a threat i failed to execute).

anyway, i think i will eventually win this game now that my cap has been liberated. big mistake bone daddy.
Maybe you threatened him in one of your drunken rants?

Liberating you was my secret trump card against Shard: Once you pull the crazy man from his box, it's hard to stuff him back in.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM

First Lieutenant

mattyburn7 is on a distinguished road

Yes. That drives me nuts when players go AI early. I can understand when you have no army left and no prospect for raising an army. I can also understand when the game is pretty much done (like this one is now) or if your personal life gets in the way. But we were begging Midgard and Pangaea(when Aderion was playing) to think about the threat of Ermor and they showed little interest...and of course when Midgard got invaded he bailed. R'lyeh also. I really respect Parone for hanging in. He probably prevented me from getting attacked.

Hell I'm in another game now where I was just down to my capital and it was seiged. The player seiging me got attacked by 2 other nations and now I'm able to break the siege and even grabbed a couple of provinces. I won't win, and yes I'd rather be competetive in the game, but I'll have a hell of a good time being a thorn in his side now, learning a few things and see how far I can get.

A lot of respect also for Russian. He could have bailed after Patala and R'lyeh did, but he didn't. Holey also kept at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_Comrade View Post
No wrapping is bad bad bad. Normally you are going to have at least three nations working against LA Ermor in the early game, this time we had two. And players in corners have great advantadge. It is possible to limit the effects of that problems with very careful map design, but it is not a trivial.
Another major factor was that we had a few people go AI earlier than they should have in my view, which didn't help the cause of the living. I'm sure Midgard and R'lyeh had legitimate reasons, but they could have really slowed me down if they were managed by a person. Even as an AI they each managed to wipe a large army -- and I'm still haven't taken Midgard's capitol yet.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:53 PM

First Lieutenant

parone is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you threatened him in one of your drunken rants?

it is oddly liberating that my shrapnel friends know that i am a part time drunk. no more hiding for me!
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:15 PM

First Lieutenant

I think I"m going to get drunk tonight!
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:40 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyburn7 View Post
I can also understand when the game is pretty much done (like this one is now) or if your personal life gets in the way. But we were begging Midgard and Pangaea(when Aderion was playing) to think about the threat of Ermor and they showed little interest...and of course when Midgard got invaded he bailed. R'lyeh also. I really respect Parone for hanging in. He probably prevented me from getting attacked.
I know you guys are about ready to throw in the towel, but if everyone banded together you still might be able to make a go of this thing. I'll readily admit that I'm in a incredibly strong position (assaulting my homeland would be the stuff of nightmares for an invader) and the chances are definitely in my favor, but I'm still a newbie with only one game under my belt and another one that's in progress (I'm about to lose that game in progress BTW), and it feels like I barely know what I'm doing half the time, so there's still a little bit of hope.

I'm all with you about Paron: He was a steely eyed missile man throughout this entire game and deserves a huge amount of credit for tenaciously resisting Ulm.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:44 PM

First Lieutenant

I'll want to see some of my armies get wiped out before throwing it in. If nothing else I'll have fun killing dead guys! LOL
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

HoleyDooley is on a distinguished road

Really interesting subject brought up though was the Utterdark being cast.

I had not thought of it in terms of hurting people you have NAPs with.

Now my mind has been awakened to this i would definitely cancel NAPs before hand.

All I need to do now is be good enough in a game to cast the damn thing.

I am not holding my breath.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleyDooley View Post
Really interesting subject brought up though was the Utterdark being cast.

I had not thought of it in terms of hurting people you have NAPs with.

Now my mind has been awakened to this i would definitely cancel NAPs before hand.

All I need to do now is be good enough in a game to cast the damn thing.

I am not holding my breath.
It was. I can justify it by making pedantic arguments about scouts and what not, but I'll give notice next time I cast it.

Atlantis,

For what it's worth, I'm sorry. Honestly, it didn't cross my mind when I cast the thing that I should have broken my NAPs, but in retrospect, it would have been the right thing to do. This is one of the many reasons I still consider myself a newbie.
Old July 4th, 2012, 04:20 AM

Corporal

Russian_Comrade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant2 View Post

Atlantis,

For what it's worth, I'm sorry. Honestly, it didn't cross my mind when I cast the thing that I should have broken my NAPs, but in retrospect, it would have been the right thing to do. This is one of the many reasons I still consider myself a newbie.

No need to apologize, you did what you needed to do to win (and it was pretty interesting to watch), and it is just a game. And yeah, I plotted with Bogarus and Ulm against you and planned to attack you in three turns from the current turn. This turn I hoped to start my armies moving to you borders and to send you NAP annulment message.

The main mistake that I did in game was not pressing you hard enough. After battle at your capital I had to keep pushing, even with no money to hire my troops. And I needed to buy more supply items faster, actually I had only one cauldorn when I assaulted your capital. The next turn my retreating forces mixed with reinforcments and were starved as a result.

Still, I have some forces to throw at Ermor now. I'm really going to fight till the last amphibian.
Old July 4th, 2012, 05:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

HoleyDooley is on a distinguished road

Comrade,

I think maybe cutting Rev2 a break here for future games and diplomacy could be the go.
I am all for NAPs and abiding by them, if people feel differently thats fine, its a free world...but I will stick to my word.

But honestly, I would have cast UD not realising that its negative effects on anyone I had a NAP with was in fact a breach of the NAP.

Now, thanks to this discussion I have been enlightened and I doubt from reading Revs comments above, he will do so in the future......its the little things like this that make you realise, you still have a long way to go in learning all about this game.

Enjoy your final battles Matt, and thanks for a great game until I got swamped that is...lol.

HD