.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

winSPWW2- Save $5.00
World Supremacy- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Nation: Dragons, Magic Incarnate V1.00

removing flight could be done of course but would make the wyrmlings even less usefull as chaff to recruit.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:06 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
removing flight could be done of course but would make the wyrmlings even less usefull as chaff to recruit.
But they're not useful as chaff at all, already.
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:08 AM

Lieutenant General

2 attacks, can still put 3 on a square, some prot, decent HP and strength there should be plenty of use for them... well at least that is what I was thinking..
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:33 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

The problem is they're just too expensive to use as throwaway chaff. And I don't know that dragons need chaff to begin with. If you're worried about lances - kill the cavalry before it can attack. If you're worried about archers, all you can really do with wyrmlings is make sure they take the first volley. Magic you just can't stop, if you want to protect against it you need buffs. You could probably use them for other purposes as they don't actually have bad stats, they are just expensive for what you get.
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
The problem is they're just too expensive to use as throwaway chaff. And I don't know that dragons need chaff to begin with. If you're worried about lances - kill the cavalry before it can attack. If you're worried about archers, all you can really do with wyrmlings is make sure they take the first volley. Magic you just can't stop, if you want to protect against it you need buffs. You could probably use them for other purposes as they don't actually have bad stats, they are just expensive for what you get.
Exactly. The only remotely possible use is chaff to draw the first volley and I simply haven't seen the need. At least in SP archers simply don't do enough in the first volley to matter.
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:37 AM

Lieutenant General

ah well whatever in the base game there are enough troops that never get used, they wyrmlings are there for thematic reasons and if noone wants them then thats fine It's pretty much a given thing for me that I usually play iwth 1-2 unit types for most races anyway
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Lieutenant General

So except for the vine dragon pic all other dragons work now? Has someone been able to test all ancient ones yet
Old December 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM

Lieutenant General

Default Re: New Nation: Dragons, Magic Incarnate V1.01

So 1.01 is out, vine dragon pic is changed (the colors where good but it had an alhpa channel.. no idea how it got there)
I changed the mamga dragon attack sprite a bit too (less black)

I also adjusted a few small things.. the strength of the bonebiter was 29 (instead of the 19 it is now) and hopefully the battle spells a few dragons have work now.

Have fun
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

I still haven't gotten to the final summons in my game yet. I'm playing about a dozen sp games at the moment and the turns in my dragon game are a bit daunting, I'm constantly shuffling around my entire army to deal with ermor pretty much :P

The change you made to strength is going to be pretty significant, I don't think it will be nearly as easy for the dragons to steamroll people now.
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Lieutenant General

hmm when I saw it it was obvious it was a mistake.. strenght (like all stats) scales with their "age" and while combat dragons have relative high strenght for their agegroup this wasn't correct at all (only the most powerfull dragons have strength 29.. the strengh of the recruitable troops is all below 20.. only a few commanders have higher strength.. I've also deleted one of their attacks (instead of 2 AP claws he now has 1 whiptail non armour piercing.) It could very well be that in combination with the higher price he's totally overpriced now... then the steel dragons or wyrmlings can be an alternative though.. i doubt the nation as a whole will be underpowered that easy so it can be balanced back later.

Against ermor.. well it will probably always be a weaker spot for the nation with not much access to priests early on.