.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 16th, 2003, 04:58 PM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: About the most minor tweak you could imagine

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagot Gick Fel:
quote:
Originally posted by st.patrik:
rain isn't made up of very dense droplets of air.
In Doms I you need water gems to cast it.
You're absolutely right - I misremembered.

However, the point still applies to 'Storm'

and BTW, what is the difference in effect between 'Rain' and 'Storm'? It seems from the description that 'Storm' is more powerful, but I've never used 'Rain'.
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
Alicorn is used as well as broadsword. The unicorn uses his horn instead of a hoof. Alicorns are more powerful than hoofs.

Knights have never used lances at the same time as their swords. The first round of combat the lance is used instead of the sword.
Ah - the things you learn. So lances are just for the first 'charge' - this makes perfect sense, but I didn't know it was this way. Thanks for the info.

re. Awe/Fear: I always thought of Awe and Fear as two ends of the spectrum, the zero point being your average guy who has neither. In this case Awe would spring from not wanting to cut down such a magnificent creature, whereas Fear would be the opposite - wanting to, but being afraid to. To me it would even make sense to have them check different stats - something like Fear checking morale and Awe checking magic resistance (lest you be charmed by the great magnificence and beauty of the awesome creature). This way Awe wouldn't just be Fear under another name.

[what would be funny would be to have a fear-inducing creature facing off against an awe-inducing creature, and have them fail their respective checks and both run away ]

[ October 16, 2003, 16:09: Message edited by: st.patrik ]
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:15 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

What is the first round knights use their lances in? The first attack in a battle? All the attacks in the first round (if quickened somehow)? Does the distance the knight moved affect the damage given by lance?
Is there a way to make a new unit having an attack like this? If yes, is there any kind of a requirement for a weapon this would be done with? That is, does this kind of attack only apply the lance, or can you define that a normal spear would be used in the first round?
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:20 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagot Gick Fel:
Scouts/spies/etc. with the Undead General or Valor heroic ability should be allowed to lead troops. Same when equipped with +leadership items.
Yeah, there's nothing more annoying than getting a heroic scout, and ending up with Valor. So that the "0" units he commands turns a brighter shade, but stays zero The solution would be to have Valor add +10 (or so) troops minimum, before the variable % increase.

Although getting a combat mage with Strength is annoying, too Sometimes I've had mages with a strength of 30, but I still wasn't tempted to risk them in melee

I kind of think that commanders should be tagged - priest-type, mage-type, melee-type, stealth-type, and archer-type. Then, each type could have a set of valid heroisms... a mage would never gain strength or combat skill, and a standard melee commander would never gain "Power Cast" (a hero skill I just made up, that gives a damage multiplier to raw damage spells) or "The Gift" (another skill I made up, that reduces spell fatigue by a variable percent, starting at 25%).

And no... this is NOT the most minor tweak you can imagine. I hate when half my heros get useless abilities. BTW, stealth heroes could also gain "Chameleon" (decreases chances of being spotted) or "Squirreltongue" (able to scout all adjacent provinces, by talking to squirrels).

-Cherry

P.S. You know, a unicorn horn should be considered magical and armor-piercing, from what I've read about unicorns. And if you disagree, I suggest you read The Last Unicorn again

[ October 16, 2003, 16:22: Message edited by: Saber Cherry ]
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:33 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
Although getting a combat mage with Strength is annoying, too Sometimes I've had mages with a strength of 30, but I still wasn't tempted to risk them in melee

I kind of think that commanders should be tagged - priest-type, mage-type, melee-type, stealth-type, and archer-type. Then, each type could have a set of valid heroisms... a mage would never gain strength or combat skill, and a standard melee commander would never gain "Power Cast" (a hero skill I just made up, that gives a damage multiplier to raw damage spells) or "The Gift" (another skill I made up, that reduces spell fatigue by a variable percent, starting at 25%).

And no... this is NOT the most minor tweak you can imagine. I hate when half my heros get useless abilities. BTW, stealth heroes could also gain "Chameleon" (decreases chances of being spotted) or "Squirreltongue" (able to scout all adjacent provinces, by talking to squirrels).

-Cherry

P.S. You know, a unicorn horn should be considered magical and armor-piercing, from what I've read about unicorns. And if you disagree, I suggest you read The Last Unicorn again
I totally agree about heroic abilities. It makes very little sense for a mage to have incredible strength, or a knight to have incredible precision. This would be a nice change, and I agree, not so minor of an issue
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:38 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Rare Knights have incredible vision. They often go by the name Hawkeye.

Mages are generally stronger than ordinary humans. We have nerfed the mages to make the game less realistic.
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:40 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
Rare Knights have incredible vision. They often go by the name Hawkeye.

Mages are generally stronger than ordinary humans. We have nerfed the mages to make the game less realistic.
Hawkeye.
Last of the Mohikans eh?
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:46 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by st.patrik:
I totally agree about heroic abilities. It makes very little sense for a mage to have incredible strength, or a knight to have incredible precision. This would be a nice change, and I agree, not so minor of an issue
There are plenty of stories of magicians etc with heroic strength, once again the heroic abilities are intended to add flavour to commanders not neccesarily maximise their combat abilities. If you get a superstrong mage just imagine he has magically augumented his physical powers, been in a freak magical accident or whatever you wish. Give the knight a precision bow. Place the scout with valor as a standard in the front ranks with the troops etc. I think it is good that the abilities do not allways serve to make your commanders as powerful as possible, the unpredictabilty encourages people to change the focus of heroes and thus adds to the flavour of the game. Now you can have archer knights and never tiring infantry commanders, mages who have partaken of the strength and fury of the winter wind and assasins so famed and feared that they inspire nearby troops to stand firm in battle.
This is a good thing.

[ October 16, 2003, 16:49: Message edited by: johan osterman ]
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:55 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by johan osterman:
There are plenty of stories of magicians etc with heroic strength, once again the heroic abilities are intended to add flavour to commanders not neccesarily maximise their combat abilities. If you get a superstrong mage just imagine he has magically augumented his physical powers, been in a freak magical accident or whatever you wish. Give the knight a precision bow. Place the scout with valor as a standard in the front ranks with the troops etc. I think it is good that the abilities do not allways serve to make your commanders as powerful as possible, the unpredictabilty encourages people to change the focus of heroes and thus adds to the flavour of the game. Now you can have archer knights and never tiring infantry commanders, mages who have partaken of the strength and fury of the winter wind and assasins so famed and feared that they inspire nearby troops to stand firm in battle.
This is a good thing.
I don't agree, but that's OK. What's more important is that you're deliberately ignoring the heart of the issue: scouting heroes gaining the "Squirreltongue" ability. I think that would be unbelievably cute, and make DomII more marketable in the 7-12 year old girl bracket. There could also be a FMV of the scout talking with woodlands creatures, gathered around in a semicircle like a scene from Bambi.

-Cherry
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:58 PM

BANNED USER

-Storm- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
quote:
Originally posted by johan osterman:
This is a good thing.
I don't agree, but that's OK. What's more important is that you're deliberately ignoring the heart of the issue: scouting heroes gaining the "Squirreltongue" ability. I think that would be unbelievably cute, and make DomII more marketable in the 7-12 year old girl bracket. There could also be a FMV of the scout talking with woodlands creatures, gathered around in a semicircle like a scene from Bambi.

-Cherry

Saber may I ask, that why are you trying to be funny all the time?
This is not www.iamfunny.com