It's not that good 2 10.53%
Probably not 1 5.26%
Definitly not 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: Civ3 Complete poll

FreeCiv would be good if the damned AI didn't make cities 2 squares away from each other...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:54 PM

Private

tyrrian is on a distinguished road

LOL Civ3 WAS a disappointment. But as a compulsive buyer like most of the rest of this country, I bought it, then I bought PTW, then I bought Conquests. I'm seriously pissed that I had to pay $120 total ($40 ea.) to finally get a complete game! After you get all the expansions, its decent.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:05 PM

Private

tweek is on a distinguished road

Civ 3 was a complete disaster. After such a rip-off (and thats exactly what it was) I promised myself to never buy a single game developed by Firaxis.

Now I dont really care if the final Gold edition of Civ 3 (or whatever that expansion pack is called) is decent or not. I am not going to buy it even for a dollar.

Tweek
Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:51 AM

Sergeant

EaX is on a distinguished road

i never play civ3, but i'm actually playing civ call to power, i like it so far.... anyone play it? did you like it?

You think is such three dimensional way, how small have you become - Borg Queen.

Whatever that thing was the Shivans got one less of them now - S.O.C. Freespace 2

We're the borg, lower your shields and surrender your ships, we will add your technological and biological distintiveness to our own your race will adapt to serve us, resistant is futile.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:50 AM

Corporal

Mylon is on a distinguished road

Grab Alpha Centauri from a bargain bin. It's a very fine game by itself. Alien Crossfire has been deemed abandonware. Abandonware can be downloaded from some not-entirely-legal-but-hardly-prosecuted websites.

I played Alpha Centauri for countless hours by itself and I can say that the expansion didn't really add that much to the game. Granted, there's no point in not having it if you can get it, but it's not totally necessary.

Just be sure to have the latest patch. The only bug I've found while playing is that the game will potentially crash if an enemy attacks a base and one of your airplanes can scramble to defend. This bug was fixed, though, leaving the game in perfect shape.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
EaX said:
i never play civ3, but i'm actually playing civ call to power, i like it so far.... anyone play it? did you like it?
I played CTP 2. Had a lot of interesting concepts. It is about what Civ 3 should have been, only combined with more Civ 2 ToT aspects.

Of course, the more I played CTP, the more I saw that Sid Meier the Hack just stole concepts from CTP rather than came up with anything new for Civ 3...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:17 AM

Sergeant

EaX is on a distinguished road

well.... i'll guess i'm not buying civ3, however i've alpha centauri hey mylon did you say crossfire was abandonware????, strange..., how many MB it's?

You think is such three dimensional way, how small have you become - Borg Queen.

Whatever that thing was the Shivans got one less of them now - S.O.C. Freespace 2

We're the borg, lower your shields and surrender your ships, we will add your technological and biological distintiveness to our own your race will adapt to serve us, resistant is futile.
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Corporal

Lisif Deoral is on a distinguished road

I bought the original Civ3 (the 2001 edition, that is) and no other expansions/rereleases/whatever and I must say I preferred it over Civ2 (I bought the "ultimate civ2 classic collection" or whatever it was called in the US, the box with all scenarios and multiplayer support).

I think the only change over Civ2 I didn't like much was special units (such as hoplites, chariots, musketeers, etc.), but the new diplomacy system, culture ratings, resources etc. were nice.

Also, I was glad they removed caravans and the other tricks for building a wonder in 1 turn!

I missed the custom unit system of Alpha Centauri, but it only worked if you managed to keep some unit design slots empty (that is, if you actually did not use it!). I always filled up all the slots quite soon, and from then onwards unit design became a really boring routine of tracking down every single one-of-a-kind unit on the map and then retrofitting or disbanding it to be able to use its slot for another unit.

As for multiplayer support, I never managed to complete a MP game with Civ2 and I soon lost interest in it. Simply tooooooo slow, it badly needed true simultaneous turns.

This said, I was really disappointed by Civ2 and its scenario discs. It didn't improve much over Civ1 and the only scenarios I played more than once were "East wind, rain" and "World War: 1979". :\
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Sergeant

Gozra is on a distinguished road

Was just forced to buy Civ3 (long story) I have been playing. It appears to be a bit flawed even their latest version. Conquest multiplayer and Conquest single player are not the same files or games. That cause some problems. What is weird is that there seems to be no technical reason that this turnd out to be so. makes it harder to mod a game and play it among friends. But I have spent about 40 hours playing it another 1040 hours of playing to get my investment back. (Just kidding) At this point I have to say CIVIII almost worked.
The fact that slaughter is a horrifying spectacle must make us take war more seriously, but does not provide an excuse for gradually blunting our swords in the name of humanity. Sooner or later, someone will come along with a sharper sword and hack off our arms
Clausewitz
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:05 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Singleplayer conquests are different because they have more nations; multiplayer conquests only have six or seven nations in total (a game with six players is already very slow, so it would be awful with fifteen players).

I would say the game can be enjoyed, though it will not be my favourite game ever (then again, I have never been fond of Civilization games). Still, it did work better for me than Civ II, so I would probably recommand the game.