.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 8th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Private

Xendarq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Patch Improvements

Adding onto the monthly site searching spell requests - it'd be nice if the searches radiated out from a particular province (e.g. the capital or the location of the spellcaster) rather than simply going down the list of provinces. The current system becomes a problem when the new searches are picking provinces that were just conquered (as they are now at the top of the province list) so you end up searching near the front lines rather than going through the safe ones in the back.
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tortanick said:
I don't know if its been recomended before but I'd like resarch to replace defend as the default where applicible.

And I'd also like that turn off spells feature, too many mages waste time charging their body when behind a wall of heavy infentry.
2nded.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
awafour said:
Adding onto the monthly site searching spell requests - it'd be nice if the searches radiated out from a particular province (e.g. the capital or the location of the spellcaster) rather than simply going down the list of provinces. The current system becomes a problem when the new searches are picking provinces that were just conquered (as they are now at the top of the province list) so you end up searching near the front lines rather than going through the safe ones in the back.
Perhaps an inverted list?

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Private

Xendarq is on a distinguished road

Inverted would help half the time, ! It depends on which direction your current conquest is currently progressing - sometimes you add province on the top of the list ... sometimes the bottom.

Another note - why is the minimum for auto-taxation only 50%? (been playing Mictlan, I get some rather large unrest values from time to time)
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Hi

I just got Dominions3 and i like it, but there are some little annoyances.

Mage casting behavior

I think it should be possible to give your mages the order to cast only spells that dont use gems, as i noticed my mages to waste their gems pretty fast.

The other thing I'd like would be to give your mage the order not to use too much fatigue. Especially on a battle that you might loose it sucks when your mages stay with 160 fatigue on the battlefield and get killed. Maybe an order, not to cast spells that would render the caster unconscious, would be nice.

Show how much battles are left while processing the Turn

This is pretty minor but it would be nice if it could show how many battles are left while processing the turn, so you can predict how long it will take.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Global tax default: Mostly useful for AE Ermor: the ability to set the default tax rate to '200 and ignore unrest', since the pop is going to die rapidly anyway.

Possible 'extra size in formation' value: Recalling discussions of light infantry formations in Dom2, it seems to be that if there were an additional modifier that added to size -for the sole purpose of determining how full a square is- that +1 could be added to LI or similar irregulars not trained for close-formmation combat. +1 on size-2 human = 2/square instead of 3.
Old October 8th, 2006, 06:23 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hadrian_II said:
Hi

I just got Dominions3 and i like it, but there are some little annoyances.

Mage casting behavior

I think it should be possible to give your mages the order to cast only spells that dont use gems, as i noticed my mages to waste their gems pretty fast.

The other thing I'd like would be to give your mage the order not to use too much fatigue. Especially on a battle that you might loose it sucks when your mages stay with 160 fatigue on the battlefield and get killed. Maybe an order, not to cast spells that would render the caster unconscious, would be nice.
The above (not casting spells) isn't implemented, but could be useful. IIRC, mages ordered to "Stay behind troops" cast spells but stop before they are unconscious. I can't verify this yet, as I don't have my Dom3 manual yet, but I seem to remember it being this way. "Stay behind troops" would also be a good enough command for mages who you don't want to cast spells , wouldn't it?
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:44 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Battle replay "chugginess":
The fact that larger armies are common is fantastic. My problem is that while watching the replays there is a long freeze while the engine loops through an army's units looking for a suitable target for buffing spells. Similar stalls occur as large groups of units have their stats updated after having a spell like legions of steel cast upon them. I have plenty of graphic power, though my cpu is getting dated (1.3 ghz) and my ram could be better (512 mb).

All that said, I wondered if there was a programming equivalent to visual basic's "DoEvents" available for the next patch. If this was placed within any large loops it would allow the player to continue scrolling the view eliminating the sense of stalling.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:07 AM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

Skipping Magic

The ability to skip the magic round of combat (using the "S" or "M" key), but still seeing all the others.

It seems to me that, even on fast forward, mages take a long time to cast their spells. This is because they pause for every mage (to give the player time to read the spell?).

I often find this annoying, and I just want to skip to the melee combat.
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:

IIRC, mages ordered to "Stay behind troops" cast spells but stop before they are unconscious. I can't verify this yet, as I don't have my Dom3 manual yet, but I seem to remember it being this way. "Stay behind troops" would also be a good enough command for mages who you don't want to cast spells , wouldn't it?
Mages on stay behind act the same as mages on casting spells, at least they cast and get unconscious. But the fatigue thing is not that important.

Today i noticed some other things that might be improved:

whirlwind spell description

First it would be nice if the type of the snatched commander would be shown so that its simpler to notice what you have lost. Second I'd like it if there it would say if the commander survived or not (Or can i assume that when a commander drops down in an other Province than the start he died?)

AI should build more Province defence

AI almost never has big province defences, and i think it might be worth something if the AI might build at least 20 or so. (I think you get lots of troops for just 200 gold)

AI should consider strong Province defences as dangerous

What i noticed is that the AI attacks provinces always with too less troops. Last game i was against Tien Chi and they wasted every turn about 100 units on a province with 100 defence. If the AI would notice the province defence and build corresponding armys (I did only have PD in that province) i think she (is AI feminine??) would be a lot better.

Friendly fire

I'd like an option to order your archers not to fire where own troops are in the adjacent square as in a lot of the littler battles my only losses are from friendly fire. (Especially funny is the friendly fire when your archers kill the units chasing routing enemys :/)