.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM

Private

Endovior is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Top 5 Time Waster

5: Moving Freespawn.
Such a pain, I'm starting to dislike having freespawn. Would dislike it more, but it's the alternative to...
4: Recruiting Indy Squads
Order and Productivity mean surplus cash. Surplus cash should be used. Easiest, quickest-return use is to spend all your resources... which means the same itty bitty armies in half a dozen places; except you need to pay for them.
3: Site Searching
Why do they insist on casting Gnome Lore into the seas? No! Don't do that! I have a perfectly good mage casting Voice of Tiamat already! Argh!
2: Research Adjusting
69 RP left on Thaum... so I can put the rest into Conjuration. Wait, got another researcher. Adjust the scales. Wait, I've got the gems to throw down that global now; my Pretender needs to take that. Adjust the scales. Wait, I missed some site searching; take three more mages off research. Adjust the scales. Eh, short on RP now? Take that guy off forging, the trinket can wait. Adjust the scales. Short a point? Hmm... maybe I can find a wimpier caster somewhere to take over that ritual, save a better mage for research. Check F1 again.
1: Default Formations
Archers in the top corner to shoot archers. Grunts in the front to attack closest. Cavalry in the bottom corner to attack rear. Wizard in the back to cast spells. Archers in the top corner to shoot archers. Grunts in the front to attack closest. Cavalry in the bottom corner to attack rear. Wizard in the back to cast spells. Archers in the top corner to shoot archers. Grunts in the front to attack closest. Cavalry in the bottom corner to attack rear. Wizard in the back to cast spells. Archers in the top corner to shoot archers. Grunts in the front to attack closest. Cavalry in the bottom corner to attack rear. Wizard in the back to cast spells.

The same basic setup every time, except when it needs changing. Clicky clicky clicky.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor View Post
- making sure you didn't throw any items away [no longer needed]

How do you do this.. I know it came out in the patch but I can't find it.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:03 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor View Post
- making sure you didn't throw any items away [no longer needed]

How do you do this.. I know it came out in the patch but I can't find it.
Hover over the item and hit 'l' (lowercase 'L'). It's quite nice. Yay for JK!

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
The Following User Says Thank You to MaxWilson For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:14 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Thank you thank you thank you Max
been driving me nuts for weeks. Literally.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM

Corporal

BesucherXia is on a distinguished road

In unsorted order:

1 Checking the backup of last turn to find out whom have been mind hunted by my mages.
2 Site searching
- Oh, please dont look at that province, it will not be mine soon! and you are recommending xxx? good, let me first check out if someone else have been searching that.
3 Adjusting rp to reach several levels in one turn
- One point too far
4 Trying boosts to check whether some unique items are newly available
- why should I have sent those SCs to Infernal?
5 Planning forge orders to get stuffs for next SC, counting the space of lab / changing SC stuffs for another plan.
- the most needed item is the one which is never in the lab

and some extra candidates:
6 moving freespawn
- They are helpful, thats why I hate them.
7 Deploying transport for gems, refueling the mages
- I need a list to tell which mages must have gems, and how many.
8 scripting big army for a decisive battle, and sometimes you just change your mind and decide to avoid that conflict.
- I know I just need a decision, but if all I have achieved in months can be lost in one battle...
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:40 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Ahh pool...
Yes, the best way to wreck your game with taken off the gems from your commanders, and possibly your S9B6 pretender who has returning cast because you put up 999 blood slaves AC when you cast wish. grrrrr

I ain't falling for that again...
I think everybody does this once. Well, once that really, really, counts. Never again...
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Corporal

Joelz is on a distinguished road

My greatest time waster is checking every afflicted unit for limp or crippled afflictions after every battle. Wish there was a way to look for specific afflictions.
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

3. Constantly toggling the research function to maximize my research output. This gets really, really bad when you're trying to research 3-4 things at a time. The research bar desperately needs a "lock" function, and the ability to type in points.

how can researching more than 2 things ever be a good idea? (In general, I'm sure there are very specific cases where it might be an acceptable idea)
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
3. Constantly toggling the research function to maximize my research output. This gets really, really bad when you're trying to research 3-4 things at a time. The research bar desperately needs a "lock" function, and the ability to type in points.

how can researching more than 2 things ever be a good idea? (In general, I'm sure there are very specific cases where it might be an acceptable idea)
I rushed to research 6 with Marignon in Beardaxe to get lightless lanterns, spent one turn forging a ton of them, and then had like 400 research afterward. I then wanted to research a bunch of level 2 stuff to get site searching spells and basic evocations.

Jazzepi
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Sergeant

Poopsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzepi View Post

I rushed to research 6 with Marignon in Beardaxe to get lightless lanterns, spent one turn forging a ton of them, and then had like 400 research afterward. I then wanted to research a bunch of level 2 stuff to get site searching spells and basic evocations.

Jazzepi
A few years ago, a goetic master decided he needed a break, so he wanted to head out for a night out in the city. He called his most trusted diabolist to watch over his blood slaves. When the diabolist arrived, the blood slaves were already fast asleep in bed. So the diabolist just got to sit around and make sure everything was okay with the slaves. Later that night, the diabolist got bored and went to watch TV, but he couldn't watch it downstairs because they did not have cable downstairs (the Goetic Master didn't want blood slaves watching too much garbage).

So, he called him and asked him if he could watch cable in the Goetic Master's room. Of course, he said it was okay, but the diabolist had one final request...he asked if she could cover up the Doom Horror statue outside the bedroom window with a blanket or cloth, at the very least close the blinds, because it made him nervous. The phone line was silent for a moment, and the Goetic Master said, "Take the slaves and get out of the house...we will call the Inquisition. We do not have a Doom Horror statue."

The Inquisition found all the house occupants dead within three minutes of the call. No Doom Horror statue was ever found.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poopsi For This Useful Post: