.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:28 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT-favorite movie lines

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

-Dirty Harry

perhaps not really applicable to Dom, but still one of the greatest lines ever.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:59 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Lingchih, I will expect royalties from you if you are going to be repeating my personal quotes on a regular basis!!! :-)

Calahan, as in Harry Calahan.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
The HellBoy movie will probably provide us with lots of good quotes.
Nations created from the Hellboy2 movie, Narnia movies, and others would probably be quiet popular especially for SP gamers. Some of these may have modders worried about intellectual property rights, yet I've heard as long as no money or advertising is being made from these creations there's no worry. I also heard it could cause a concern for shrapnelgames, otherwise I would be working on a Sauron nation mod.... who wouldn't want to take an army and fight that eyeball at his capital OR battle the witch king!

Yes there is a problem with it exactly as you said it. The idea of "no problem" usually refers to "they wont come after you" which is different than "its legal and OK to do it". For us as individuals on some unaffiliated forum, it would probably be no problem. But Shrapnel, as a corporation, as a game company, cannot appear to turn a blind eye to blatant copyright infringements. To clearly say that your mod took images and material directly from some other game or book etc etc means that Shrapnel would have to remove it.

On the other hand, this often comes up on other forums I moderate. Particularly with things like fan-based tshirts or posters. One thing I always bring up is "you might try just asking". It doesnt work every time but about 50% of the time I find that there is some way to get permission. And no, it doesnt always involve paying lots of bucks. Sometimes its just asking, and signing a form that says you arent making money on it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

JOSEY: When I get to liking someone, they ain't around long.

Indian Chief: I notice when you get to disliking someone they ain't around for long neither.

Movie:Outlaw Josey Wales.

Dominions Analogy-LA Ermor. friend or foe, all die in the dominion of the dead.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Big Trouble in Little China has some of the best quotes ever, including the one Jim mentioned. I've got that, and Aeon Flux on DVD.

Another good one from those innocent times was The Maxx. Good for Dom3 too, because it's based somewhat on Australian Aboriginal myth.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I agree. BTiLC probably has some great ones. And would have been much cooler to reference than Ghost Busters.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

ehm..

I'll be back!

?
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Quote:
NTJedi said:
Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
The HellBoy movie will probably provide us with lots of good quotes.
Nations created from the Hellboy2 movie, Narnia movies, and others would probably be quiet popular especially for SP gamers. Some of these may have modders worried about intellectual property rights, yet I've heard as long as no money or advertising is being made from these creations there's no worry. I also heard it could cause a concern for shrapnelgames, otherwise I would be working on a Sauron nation mod.... who wouldn't want to take an army and fight that eyeball at his capital OR battle the witch king!

Yes there is a problem with it exactly as you said it. The idea of "no problem" usually refers to "they wont come after you" which is different than "its legal and OK to do it". For us as individuals on some unaffiliated forum, it would probably be no problem. But Shrapnel, as a corporation, as a game company, cannot appear to turn a blind eye to blatant copyright infringements. To clearly say that your mod took images and material directly from some other game or book etc etc means that Shrapnel would have to remove it.

On the other hand, this often comes up on other forums I moderate. Particularly with things like fan-based tshirts or posters. One thing I always bring up is "you might try just asking". It doesnt work every time but about 50% of the time I find that there is some way to get permission. And no, it doesnt always involve paying lots of bucks. Sometimes its just asking, and signing a form that says you arent making money on it.

All too true. However, copyright law gets very thin when you are talking about such a small endeavor as a free, player designed modification, for a small strategy game.

Not to say that someone can just walk in and do up a Hellboy Mod, or a Mordor Mod, and just run with it. However, if all of the sprites are original artwork, the name of the mod/nation is different, and everything is plugged into these game mechanics (read: portrayed differently than in the original), then one can state the mod is "inspired by" such and such, and there is no problem.

I mean, if there is a Nordor mod nation, which has a large eye as a pretender choice, named Sooron - justification for legal action becomes less than slim. Hell, take a little Monty Python inspiration..... And have it be the..... Nose of Sooron!! It could work, trust me.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

But it doesnt tend to matter.
Whether or not a person can get away with it doesnt have much of an impact in boardrooms that are funding forums. A 90% chance doesnt tend to get treated any different than a 10% chance.