.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Sergeant

Saulot is on a distinguished road
Default A new nation mod. Teaser Only.

"It has been three cycles since the exodus.
I am one of the last who was born in the wastes on the homeworld. I remember clearly the scent of the land, and the sounds of it's night, but I have no nostalgia for that place. It was in all ways, a dead and dying world. The Psions spoke of how this was the last age, before the end of the world, and how it would be engulfed by the crimson sun.
When the druid Tak'tha heard the voice in her mind, speaking of salvation and deliverance, of an escape from that world, it brought a sliver of hope to our pack. We sent out runners to the nearby tribes, in the hopes of examining the source of the message, but as it turned out, there was not enough time. Just as that morning the voice first appeared, that evening was the question. A question, because it was not simply salvation, it would come at a price. Sixty cycles of servitude, to be given by the whole hive, the survivors and their descendants. Tak'tha spoke for our pack in all spiritual matters, and we would all honor her decisions. The deal was made, and at that very moment, an enormous column of blinding light, as if fashioned from a hundred stars, came from the night sky. The column expanded, surrounding us all, and when it receded, we were elsewhere. Now we know that it was a starbridge, but I had no words for it then.
There was only a hundred of us, but that was three cycles ago. Now we near a thousand, for this land though alien in many ways, is a paradise; filled with water, vegetation, and animals of all kinds. The younger of us have grown to a size previously reckoned impossible. However, the transformation isn't simply physical, our minds are now clear and focused, it is as if fetters has been lifted from our very being and this land has reawakened our spirit.
We also know, that a great upheaval is coming. The changing of many landscapes, of many fates, and a change in the destiny of this world. We will be ready to answer that call when it comes, and fulfill the bargain.
You probably did not realize, but you are the first human we have seen on this world, but we knew you existed somewhere when we found the ruins to the west, that were undoubtedly made by human hands. Sadly, it would be unfortunate for your tribes to know of us prematurely, that will have to wait. Now you have what you desired, and my packmates will soon have what they desire. The hunt begins..."

-Dutifully scribed by the sage Horedutos before the First Chaos War, for the incomplete and lost work; "The Compendium of Inquiries into Denizens from beyond Arcosephale and Ermor".

As I promised last week, this is the teaser for the next nation mod that I'm working on. This will where I'll post progress towards completion, and the mod when I'm finished.

Questions I should address now:
1. This is a nation of? - It's a mystery, though you're welcome to speculate (I imagine a few of you will figure it out quick.)
2. Why the mystery? - Because it's more fun that way
3. ETA? - April
4. Why post now? - Because it's hard to stay motivated while working quietly/alone/for a long period of time, and this helps.

Progress so far:
1 - Research - 100% complete
2 - Conceptualization - 30% complete
3 - Spritework - 20% complete
4 - Descriptions - 0% complete
5 - Extras (Spells/Heros/Pretenders) - 10% complete
6 - Trimming/Balance - 0% complete
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A new nation mod. Teaser Only.

Athas, Dark Sun.

"Runners" seems to hint at elves, but "hive" and various other factors seem to point at Thri-Kreen.
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

What era?
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:50 AM

Sergeant

Saulot is on a distinguished road

I'm leaning Early Era at the moment. That's why it's before the First Chaos War (my in character nickname for the fall of the first Pantokrator). Though as I flesh them out a bit more, it may seem more appropriate to move them to MA. We'll see. (Though, MA probably has the least need of mod nations)

It's interesting to note, that while I have adequate amount of material to work with, the conceptualization is the most difficult aspect of it. Various decisions and choices to be made, and while some of them are based on gameplay/fun/balance, the flow of the commander/unit variety, and how it fits thematically inside the world of dominions... a few of them are arbitrary, and those are the most difficult. I suppose that while none of the choices would be 'wrong', and the results would probably be good, I wouldn't be able to help but think that something else may be better, and so I'll work on and test out a variety of things and discard many, which as one can imagine takes a lot of time. I guess the point of my rambling on like this is, that this may drag on longer than I hope.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:32 AM

Corporal

Alderanas is on a distinguished road

I think that it is some sort of either wolf or bug race maybe mixed with half-breeds. Thats my guess.