.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mad rantings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity24601 View Post
Hello peoples,

A few of you might remember me from years ago:
I remember that you were one of the first to ask about technical stuff and managed to get some replies, from threads that I looked at later, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity24601 View Post
This method was obviously far too difficult. What I never revealed was that afterwards, I was able to write a computer program to decode .trs files. I never released this program so that Illwinter could maintain control of their own data and formats. As a demonstration, I have attached some unused nation flags from flags.trs (as far as I know, these have not been released?); seems like Illwinter drew up flags for Mordor and Isengard .
Well, if you have a look at the game sprites, you should be aware that there are much more than what is needed. All the leftover stuff from Dom2 and maybe even bits and pieces from Dom1 are in there, I can't tell, and unfinished or sample graphics.

As for extracting game sprites, can you really extract all of them without trouble? Because blast, build, flag, item, res and smallfont don't deviate much from the original format, but the others have some things inside that don't follow in the same vein.

EricM seems to be AWOL, BTW. He hasn't released sprites for the 3.20 patch and doesn't seem to visit the forum anymore. Another loss due to the forum switch maybe?
Emergency comic relief

Last edited by lch; October 19th, 2008 at 07:26 PM..
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM

Corporal

Singularity24601 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
As for extracting game sprites, can you really extract all of them without trouble? Because blast, build, flag, item, res and smallfont don't deviate much from the original format, but the others have some things inside that don't follow in the same vein.

EricM seems to be AWOL, BTW. He hasn't released sprites for the 3.20 patch and doesn't seem to visit the forum anymore. Another loss due to the forum switch maybe?
I dunno what EricM did, but my program atm only views the .trs files rather than extracts them - I don't really know much about programming and usually self-teach on the spot using google . I'm willing to update sprites, but it might be some time, and also, which sprites need updating since EricM's last release?
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:22 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
I don't think he was ever that active on these forums. I know he extracted the sprites, but it didn't happen instantly. I always thought he was more of a SP guy, and whenever he noticed there was a new patch he appeared here to bestow his gifts to the modders.

Personally, I'm interested in having complete lists of flying (ammo, spell flight animations) and explosion sprites. You should ask permission before releasing things, though, since there might be some stuff that we aren't supposed to see.

Last edited by lch; October 20th, 2008 at 05:45 AM..
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM

Corporal

Singularity24601 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoperez View Post
I don't think he was ever that active on these forums. I know he extracted the sprites, but it didn't happen instantly. I always thought he was more of a SP guy, and whenever he noticed there was a new patch he appeared here to bestow his gifts to the modders.
I had a quick look at dom3progress, but it wasn't obvious which sprites needed updating. If I have time to go through everything, or if someone gives me a list...

I haven't been around for a while, but I assume Mother Hydra is the new LA Atlantis Hero (see attached)?

Name:  mother hydra.bmp
Views: 106
Size:  32.6 KB

Last edited by lch; October 22nd, 2008 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: Don't attach BMPs
Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:29 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

EricM's last update on his sprites is here:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=39977

I don't think the new patch added much, perhaps only the LA Atlantis underwater units. I can post the unit NR of the last existing unit later today, if anyone doesn't do it before me.