.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 26th, 2006, 04:00 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Argitoth is on a distinguished road
Default Pre-ordering is a benefit not for the buyer...

LOL!!! I just realized. I can't buy Dominions III because by the time it's released I'll be gone, away! Never to return! Actually, just for a year. But why does GamersFront give us ZERO benefit for pre-ordering? Anyone knows that a good publisher will throw in SOMETHING! Was it Ultima Online or EverQuest that gave you cloth maps for pre-ordering? That's really stupid that GamersFront is completely ignoring the buyer.

GamersFront is basically saying, "Let the buyers pre-order 2 to 3 months before the game is released, we don't care if we are out of stock, we don't care if the price is high, oh no. Lets ignore the buyer and give them NOTHING for helping us. No reduced price, no store credit, no special mouse pad, no cloth maps... Let's not give anything to our fans."

I'm a complainer, and I'm complaining! HEAR ME ROAR!!!! RAWRRRRR!!! DIEEEEE ZOMBIES.... well that sucks. I won't be able to take part in the Doms3 community.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pre-ordering is a benefit not for the buyer...

Don't worry, there are others that will have to delay playing Dom!!! by a full year too...

...like me

(EDIT: ...oh, and isnt the benefit of pre-ordering that you run a decreased risk that they're out of stock? )
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Huh?!

Where are you guys going? You cant play on a laptop if you aint at home?

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Huh?!

Not everybody has a laptop.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nerfix said:
Not everybody has a laptop.
Yes I know, but for example, if I would plan to stay away from home for a year, I would surely buy a laptop. Well depends maybe not, if I would go for a military service.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pre-ordering is a benefit not for the buyer...

I don't get the point : there was a 5$ rebate for preordering up to 20th of may or so IIRC, wasn't it ?
IMHO better than some crap-map or gadgets we have in "Collector Eds" for 20$ more than a regular box.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Private

Varjostin is on a distinguished road
Default About prices

Hello people.

I'm an old school Dom PPP player and became interested in Dominions 3. I have followed the conversation here in secrecy (buahaha) and decided to join the forums. Hope you will stand me. Ok, lets move onto the matter.
I have seen many here critizing the preorder price of Dom 3. I don't know how it's for Americans but here in Europe it isn't so costy to buy. Ok, I have to admit the general level of prices differ greatly in Europe, but my main point is that currency exchange rate between dollar and euro is benefiting european buyers. I paid about 41 euros for the game with transport costs.(Discount?) Now the price in euros is 43.50 with transport expenses which is below the price of a normal game. However, I'm not absolutely sure, because Finland has one of the highest price levels in Europe. Gasp.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:13 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: About prices

Quote:
Varjostin said:
Hello people.

I'm an old school Dom PPP player and became interested in Dominions 3. I have followed the conversation here in secrecy (buahaha) and decided to join the forums. Hope you will stand me. Ok, lets move onto the matter.
I have seen many here critizing the preorder price of Dom 3. I don't know how it's for Americans but here in Europe it isn't so costy to buy. Ok, I have to admit the general level of prices differ greatly in Europe, but my main point is that currency exchange rate between dollar and euro is benefiting european buyers. I paid about 41 euros for the game with transport costs.(Discount?) Now the price in euros is 43.50 with transport expenses which is below the price of a normal game. However, I'm not absolutely sure, because Finland has one of the highest price levels in Europe. Gasp.
A-ha! Another Finn joins our merry group of addicted gamers.

I agree with both Varjostin and PDF: the game isn't that expensive, especially with the pre-order discount, and I wouldn't pay extra to get any crap with the game. Most collectors' editions are much more expensive than the normal versions, and the extra stuff just takes up extra space.

We also get paper manual, AFAIK, and that is becoming kind of rare these days.

Varjostin, have you tried out DomII at all? You might want to adjust a little to the user interface, because the change from Dom:PPP to DomII was much bigger than it seems to be from DomII to Dom!!!.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: About prices

This isnt some huge corporate publisher. Its a developer who has added publishing in order to help other independents get published. I never thought of pre-ordering as being helpful to the buyer. I always thought of it as my way of telling the developer that I have faith in them creating a product I will want, and Im willing to give them some profits ahead of time in order to help that happen.

If Shrapnel doesnt see fit to put some big price break in there then its not a dealbuster for me. After all, such a price break would be tactical. It would have to come from someones cut. Shrapnels, or Illwinters. And it would have to be expected to create some sort of gain such as "loss now to generate hype which leads to more sales later". I dont think this game has the community that would work well for. What if most of the people who will buy Dom3 are already in these forums? Then such a price break would be bad.

In fact, Ive always been leary of BIG prices breaks on pre-orders. The only really good reason I could figure for a company doing it was that they knew the after-release conversations of players who got the game was going to kill further sales
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DominionsFAN said:
Where are you guys going? You cant play on a laptop if you aint at home?
I do have a laptop and I am not going anywhere nor do I mind the price of Dom!!!

However, I currently have both both an unfinished thesis and an unfinished child in the making - and I fear that the two will be completed in the wrong order... Now if you figure what Dom2 already did to me, then Dom!!! would be my doom!

So instead, I rather choose Dom!!! as my reward, should there ever be some spare time again in the distant future... [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Cold.gif[/img] [i](Hmm, maybe...just maybe...less posting here could help me to win the race too...bye!)[i]