.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yomi 3.21

What exactly is the lower rate of return for demons and undead? Is it low enough to make fever fetishes uneconomical? 1 gem every 10 turns? 1 every 3 turns? I've never tried it.

Cleveland: I don't think it can considered an exploit unless demons turn out to be BOTH immune to disease like undead AND don't have a lower rate of return, which KissBlad says isn't true.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road

Do not.............seek.............the treasure.
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Major

AreaOfEffect is on a distinguished road

I meant it when I said there was no good choice for hosting the fever fetish. If it seemed even remotely econmical to use demons I would have suggested it as its micro-management free. However, the rate is closer to 1 a turn for every 10. That's not good enough. Retested this morning in case your curious.
Guide Supplement: LA Man - Castle Warfare
Referance: Prophet Transformations
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AreaOfEffect For This Useful Post:
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:59 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

I actually used a fairly similar E4N4S4 enchantress to what kissblade suggested in a muliplayer game (byleswar), but I expanded slightly differently. I would build a few oni generals, then build 20 ao oni and send the group out conquering indies. The groups take almost no losses normally and can pretty much expand indefinitely until you get into your first war. After my initial expansion I had 6 forts and began mass-producing sorcerers. Then when I got into my first war I started producing oni generals again, and pretty much decimated my opponent (ulm), who had no real magical counters to my army. Baalz's suggested pretender chassis really appeals to me though, if I had had a decent amount of air income this game would be a lot easier.... Water would be very useful as well if you can find the points for it.

I think actually, as I stated in a different thread, that the ao oni are your best counter even to niefel giants... because of their 50% cold resistance. They rarely take fatigue from the cold aura as long as there's not a giant stack of auras radiating onto them, plus with their ethereal second form it wastes a lot of giant time trying to squash them. And with their high damage, coupled with destruction/strength of giants, even a niefel giant is going to be feeling those clubs of theirs.

Oh, and my ko-oni thunderstrike catchers have something to say about the assertion that they're useless. 12 gold for a unit that can take multiple hits from thunderstrike with no buffs is a pretty good deal from where I'm sitting!
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

I think you'll get more gems out of your fetishes if your Demon units have a never-healing wound. I've seen the Disease affliction disappear from my Hannyas, I thought that was weird.

But in CBM Yomi can just summon Kappa commanders for 2W. You need Jade Amazons though probably.

Also in CBM Yomi can cast lots of Corpse Construct with a lightning rod. Same number of units as vanilla, but with vastly improved MR.

Don't make a bandit leader your prophet. Recruit an Oni General the first turn, and make it your prophet. Demon prophets can both preach or raise dead.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Though only longdead warriors at best.
That's something I'm missing with Yomi, proper reanimation.
Perhaps the demon priest could get reworked to have a reanimating unit beyond the Dai Oni?

Goes hand-in-hand with the established lore and the nation's gameplay.
Beats me what the reanimated units would be called though
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:31 PM

General

Soulless are much better than longdead in the initial expansion phase, because you get so many of them. And your prophet does not need to be busy blessing your armies in any case. It's just a little advantage, but every bit helps IMO.

If you want something to do with your 2nd bandit leader on turn 1, set him to retreat and attack your most likely turn 2 province target so you don't accidentally run into a bunch of wind mages with your initial army.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:32 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
I think you'll get more gems out of your fetishes if your Demon units have a never-healing wound. I've seen the Disease affliction disappear from my Hannyas, I thought that was weird.

But in CBM Yomi can just summon Kappa commanders for 2W. You need Jade Amazons though probably.

Also in CBM Yomi can cast lots of Corpse Construct with a lightning rod. Same number of units as vanilla, but with vastly improved MR.

Don't make a bandit leader your prophet. Recruit an Oni General the first turn, and make it your prophet. Demon prophets can both preach or raise dead.
The ability to get some scrubby longdeads isn't worth the bother for me. =) I did use to prophet the first oni general but since he can't cast much with that armor, I just use the bandit as a sermon/smiter.

Last edited by KissBlade; January 6th, 2009 at 09:43 PM..
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:33 AM

Major

AreaOfEffect is on a distinguished road

Then prophet a Hannyas. They are demons too.
Guide Supplement: LA Man - Castle Warfare
Referance: Prophet Transformations
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:26 AM

General

A Hannya is 200 versus 130 gold, and 70 gold is a lot on turn 2. Plus there's a whole bunch of useful stuff a Hannya can be doing. I don't use the Oni General prophet to do much fighting because he's too busy making undead.

The undead can come in really handy if you get rushed by Hydras or an Awe pretender. Plus 20 soulless warriors and some archers can take a lot of indies. You can also use the soulless or longdead to eat up lance charges and arrows (yay rotten shields), and to suck up banishments that would otherwise target your Ao-oni.