.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 5th, 2008, 02:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.50 with SPACE-FORMS

Rdonj good points you have

I already feared the ice suits might be too powerfull (but I feared they would be too strong in melee since they have 2 attacks and paralyse (don't you mean the lightning suits?))

Getting rid of fists a great problem for me and I don't know the solution yet.. I'll just keep adjusting stuff. Same goes for the spiders, the netters are the only ones supposed to have the net but getting rid of it after copy statting a spider isn't that easy it seems.

And the artillery can't get heavy space weapons find other ways.. buy more space craft whatever Ulm isn't supposed to be a very strong space nation They'll get a tank though.. which is even less usefull in space

I'll think about those spells you mentioned and see what I can do..
drop pods or something
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:18 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

The Ice Battle Suits are supposed to have 2 attacks? I only see them as having one. Different version maybe. The Ice Battle Suits are really strong in melee and definitely kill their share even in small numbers, but you can gang up on them if they're in anything like reasonable numbers and bring them down, which I don't have too much of a problem with. And it helps that their attack skill is still fairly low. If you just massed them I don't know, that could be pretty hard to deal with. I'll try massing them and lightning suits in my next game with them. What was giving me doubts was not using anything stronger than ap 11 on them at range :P Bringing in fighters and personal artillery marines to kill them helped enough to convince me that they're not too overpowered against ranged attacks.

Lightning Samurai Battle Suits are really strong too. If you use them in small numbers it's not too unreasonable because you still get lots of misses, but if you used them in large numbers it almost certainly changes. But the lightning cannons do shock damage, so in a way, if you look at it right now even if they are overpowered (they probably do need to cost more in gold and or resources anyway if they stay the way they are. I think it might be better though to just give them really high ap and leave an to large ships so you can't mass it) jomon gets a lot weaker if you can get to midgame and bring out lightning/fire resistance. If that wasn't the case I would probably have to say that all their battlesuits are overpowered, because the fire ones do a huge amount of damage for their cost too.
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:32 AM

General

Okay, further testing leads me to believe the ice battle suits may be slightly overpowered but it's not really a big deal. Lightning battle suits are a bit more iffy because 20 an is a lot, but it is mitigated somewhat by the relatively limited number of them you can have in one province. An Ulmish player could probably take on a jomon player reasonably well as long as the jomon player didn't have food items, but with them it would look pretty bleak. R'lyeh would need some really powerful magic backing them up not to get torn up by a jomon player it seems. I am slightly surprised though that battle suits are size 4, I'm pretty sure fighters are size 3 and I wouldn't have thought the battle suits would be bigger.

Anyway, I would either lower the damage 5-10 points or raise it 10 or more points and make it ap instead. Another option could be to make them fire once every two turns. But if you did any of those I would consider making them smaller because their supply costs rack up fast. If you don't change their size you might want to give battle suits a siege bonus because it takes forever to get through city walls with size 4 creatures without huge strength without diseasing yourself horribly. You should probably look at this more yourself, I'm not entirely sure if there's a major imbalance here, it does seem like there's potential though.

By the way, one of the floating predator alien cages has mod commands in its description. And because they're useless in space it might be good to make them not have ap in forests.

Last edited by rdonj; September 5th, 2008 at 05:37 AM..
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Lieutenant General

Rdonj:
I think I'll give them a lower damage AN attack, they now have the big lightning cannon some ships have and that might be a bit too much.
I'll increase the gc a bit (5 each) too if you say it's all suits are bit overpowered.
I've changed size of all fighters to 4, suits should indeed be considered bigger than fighters but fighters aren't 5 and suits aren't 3.. so they should both be 4 I guess

I'll leave siegebonusses for suits out for the moment, guess Jomon just sucks at sieging .
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM

General

Those changes sound pretty good to me. Now you just need to see if anyone disagrees with me, I hear entirely too much of myself talking these last few pages.
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Lieutenant General

hehe well if others don't give feedback then I''m listening to you.. I'm not playing the mod myself since I'm putting most time in getting sprites or typing more for the mod. I only load a game when I really need to see if something works and then I look at things that have been said a bit

It would be nice if we could get a MP game going, that would be a real test. If you can find 2 more players we could load a game for you on llama's server, I doubt that will be a problem.. wouldn't even have to play the whole game just starting with first 20-30 turns or something..
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM

General

I don't know, might be nice to have one or two more nations first. Seems a bit much for just 3 nations. I might try to get someone to hotseat me soon though.
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:34 AM

General

Oh well, a few more things.

1) I still don't feel like ulm's capships have enough offensive oomph. The problem is, with the really high shield prot even heavy ship blasters barely qualify as heavy weapons. So most times when you shoot at a shielded opponent, you don't do anything. And most of the time you don't kill things even when you do hit them, so really all the ships provide for you is a big tough block of health. Which isn't bad in and of itself, but you can't really equip them with anything to make them better at killing and that's a lot of resources to not be doing any killing. In vague relation to this, I think making ship artillery fire once every turn wouldn't be unreasonable, because it's not really that strong for how rare it is in the game.

2) On the other hand, there's not a whole lot jomon can do to kill a ship that's immune to fire, immune to lightning, has an air shield, and is lucky. Unfortunately repair droids don't work yet so I couldn't mess with that. Ice battle suits are about it, as the ships are pretty helpless in melee.

3) For some reason after firing at each other for a while it seems as though even if they still have shots left, everything gets tired of it and runs into melee. In my last battle this happened on turn 11 or 12. I've had this happen a bit before and didn't think to mention it. Oops. But somehow I don't think you can fix it... I think it's an issue with dom3 itself.

P.S. Tractor beams work nicely
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Corporal

otthegreat is on a distinguished road

I just started a game with this mod so I don't have a lot to say but I'll put it down before I forget.

I fought spiders on a planet with forest terrain. It was kind of funny to fight a space battle on a planet. Was it a mistake to make province 28 (solar system map) a forest?

Also I believe rdonj has already mentioned this but there are still some provinces defended by dom 3 independants. One province, 48, has recruitable elephants and heavy infantry.

Should I assume attack sprites for space kraken will be forthcoming?

That's all for now. Its a lot of fun so keep up the good work!
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.55 NEW ORKS !!!

UPDATE: NEW ORC NATION IS OUT

the nation uses only a few sprites as of yet but is fully playable.
Please try it!!!

The orcs are a race that look up to powerfull leaders, all orcs aspire to be a great warrior but only a few have what it takes. Once a great leader emerges the other orcs flock to his side to war against the rest of the galaxy.

No recruitable troops, only 3 recruitable aspiring commanders who can (and probably will) evolve in powerfull leaders of the orc race. Troops will find the powerfull leaders to lead them to war. Other powerfull orcish commanders can be bribed to join the army with the valuable and holy green gems (of nature) if summoned by intervention of powerfull mages.