.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 11th, 2004, 11:08 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Wishlist for September

Many thanks for Illwinter about the game, the updates we have gotten and the wishes that have been implemented, including modding commands and fast forward in battles.

This is compilation of some wishlists that have been flowing around. Many date back to February, and I don't think many of these are newer than three months... I don't think this should be made sticky, as a sticky should have only one post and would have to be updated regularly.

Suggestions that weren't on the original list in February... Some are mine, most from various threads:

* key shortcuts for 'Fire', 'c'losest, 'a'rchers etc.
* showing upkeep/ recruitement price in the unit info screen
* page that shows upkeep of all units, divided by type (ie. X archers -> Y gp)
* symbol showing that a commander cannot have any more troops (differently colored swrods?)
* when choosing the commander to give an item to, grey out those that cannot use it (no appopriate slots free)
* giving commands for fufure turns, for moving armies and maybe some other things too
* tactical command: retreat if outnumbered x-to-1
* blood slave frequency changeable or linked to magic site frequency
* make AI do your turn
* turn counter visible in battles
* ambush for stealth armies: attacking from the side of the enemy armies instead of front
* forge monthly item-command
* ability to choose target province (for spells) by number
* Dispel shouldn't be unique for Astral
* [Shark Sandwich]'d really like to see a better text message interface that would include:
__1) The ability to review previously sent and received Messages.
__2) The ability to move the cursor around in the message to edit it.
__3) Copy, paste, etc. functions
__4) The ability to send the same message to a selected recipient list.
__5) The ability to have the message up and have it be transparent so names of nations could be seen.
Currently it's a bit of a pain to send a message to another player about a group of certain territories. I have to write down the names and then switch to the text interface type them into the message. It would be nice if I could alternate between map view and text message or see them both at the same time so I could reference the map while I am typing.

TinkThank, I think:

* "Goto Commander" works for reports on finding sneaking commanders and assasins
* Interface: f5-Research lets you define research numbers per number pad (instead of +/- clicking)
* Interface: Merc Bids definable per number pad instead of +/- clicking
* Tactical AI: Communion Master only if Communion Slave not self available
* from the "View Commander" (Inventory) screen, link to battle orders
* ability to find cursed/ starving/ horrormarked etc. easily
* graphs showing (gem) income from events, items etc.
* unrest increased for independant that fled succesfylly, number dependant from gold/resource cost of the unit that retreated
* ability to choose mutliple provinces for battle commands screen for greater accuracy in dual-attacks
* ability to see what battle screen would look like in the beginning of a fight with your troops in it
* ability to protect blood slaves from heat of the abysian warlock leading them
-new item giving the salves lead by the wielder have all the resistances that the wielder has
* symbols for more abilities, like spy, sailing, ability to heal...
* map overlays for magic sites, sitesearches, pd,
* possibility to restart turn from cratch and/or from the situation you started from, preferably near the exit with/without saving options
* ability to choose things in main menu by letters (create 'G'od, 'C'reate game, 'P'lay...), and in host/exit screen too
* being able to Create god, game and go to play it without going back to the main menu in between

StPatrik's compiling of wishes:

Interface Changes
* Message when a mage forges an item
* 'Lab' filter for main map (like fortress and temple)
* Darker colours/textures in unit displays [to make sprites easier to see/look better]
* Alignment of stats in unit info screens [i.e. in a column]
* Bless effects displayed when creating a pretender's magic
* Actual effects of scales explained when creating a pretender's scales
* Line between commanders and regular units in recruitment screen
* Titles in recruitment screen for unit section and commander section
* Able to quit battles using ESC
* When selecting commander from F1 screen, have the commander be highlighted when it jumps to him
* X axis labeled in score overview graph
* Message in top left when Commander is killed in battle
* Show undead and magic leadership in unit info screen (e.g. 25/0/10)
* Link from nation overview (F1) to recruitment screen in each province
* Show resource usage in nation overview [so that you can see at a glance which provinces aren't being used to their full potential]
* Warning colours in nation overview (e.g. red for supply usage when higher than supply availability, etc.)
* Research estimate in recruit screen should reflect research with current drain scale
* In enemy/indie province screen, link unit names to description (even if it is just generic)
* prevent blood slave harvesting in provinces where no chance exists to get slaves (pop too low), and show estimated blood harvest for each mage
* Combine Blood Harvest reports into one, linking to each commander
* When using the "N" key to cycle through commanders and a commander in a group gets selected, select the whole group of commanders.
* When a magic site is found, include the level required to find it in the site info window
* Right-click should bring up commander details in gem-transfer screen (as it does everywhere else).
* Seasonal autobid for mercs, like in Dom I
* Clearer distinction between province and global gold stats
* Net kingdom gem and gold income displayed in F1 screen
* Autoarrange commanders alphabetically by type, then name
* Confirmation screen for 'throw item away'
* '?' accessible on main menu (i.e. as a button)
* Ability to close screens without having to scroll down or press ESC (e.g. Windows-style [x] or 'Exit' button below instead of at the end of scroll-lists)
* Names of units in addition to icons in recruitment/deployment screens
* Detailed breakdown of mixed squads in deployment screen
* Battle results (i.e. list of casualties) when storming a Castle
* Detailed lists of losses (most importantly commanders)
* Right-clicking commander in main screen gives you list of troops under his command
* Build queue for commanders (even though there is only one recruitable per month)
* Shift-click to add higher multiples of units [e.g. 5 at a time] in recruitment screen
* Build queue doesn't charge you for units which won't be built that turn
* Ability to turn off pre-battle zoom animation
* Ability to enter new subscreen (F1, recruitment, etc.) without ESCaping out of the current one
* Prevent redundant site searching [or have a message like the "preaching cannot be used to raise the dominion of this province any higher" message]
* When game ends prompt for deletion of game file
or
* When game ends, automatically delete game file
* When you win/lose a game, instead of exiting the program, get brought back to main menu
* Ability to toggle on/off battle grid in squad positioning screen
* Keyboard selection (hotkeys or something else) for every command available with mouse
also including:
* Keyboard command to select next commander within province, even if he already has orders.
* Ability to scroll lists with arrow keys/ page up and page down instead of mouse
* Keyboard interface for research screen
* Keyboard command to cycle through friendly provinces
* Expanded gem-transfer screen, showing more than 2 commanders
* Label in nation overview identifying province types [feudal, amazons, etc.], and therefore the troops recruitable there
* Ability to cycle through recruitment screens without exiting to main map
* Allow changing physical form of pretender in design screen
* In battle screen, link spell casting notification to spell description
* Show actual adjustments to stats from fatigue (ie 0 defense, half armour, etc)
* Military info for hostile provinces displayed on main screen
* More details on exactly what different effects mean (e.g. exact benefits of mountain/forest/swamp survival, etc.)
* Add "Cast Monthly Ritual" to commander orders list (currently you can only access it by 'M' key

Feature Tweaks
* Change order of game creation: first choose scenario, then number and types of player etc.
* Special Guard commander order "Surround Body Guard":Auto position body guards encircling the commander
* Allow finer adjustment of map richness levels
* Add separate gold richness and resource richness settings for new games
* Soldiers with "guard commander" orders fire missiles if a target is within range
* Freak Lord should get a cross-breeding bonus

New Features
* Pre-made pretenders for new players
* Quick start game for new players
* Research point 'lock' for schools of magic, or other way to easily manage two or more paths being reseached at the same time
* Random nation AI opponents
* Map and Scenario triggers
* New Command for missile units: Hold or Fire
* Add tactical "Cast Support Spells", "Cast Summon Spells", and "Cast Attack Spells" commands
* New unit command: Fire and Stay Behind Troops missile units fire a couple of rounds, then retreat to behind the main battle-line
* Supply bonus for a certain number of LI/LC - in accordance with their role as foragers
* Compress trn files for Online play
* New Order in map screen "Collect Gems/Slaves" - collects all the gems/slaves held by any commanders in a province, and gives them to the selected commander
* Ability to store more than one god for each nation
* Search function for items on commanders
* Battle Sim
* Enabling/disabling spells [being able to indicate which spells your mage should pick from]
* Rework of province defense
* Different types of battle terrain

Vague Suggestions
* Less focus on supercombatants
* More regrowth possibilities / less emphasis on population death
* Reduce effectiveness of artillery-like spells (esp. in hostile dominion), or provide counters (I thought Domes were enough, but...)
* More global enchantments

Questionable Suggestions
* Alliance possible between Human and AI, rather than just between AIs (note this is different from the request for diplomacy)
* SP diplomacy
* Number of local defense force killed show up on battle report (even though they're automatically replaced)
* End/quit/save/host button remake [so that 'end turn' takes you directly to next turn]
* Hostile borders different colour than province borders within your nations [don't know if this is possible]
* Translucent filters for map instead of icons (for dominion strength, production, province defense, etc.)

These Last suggestions are labeled 'questionable' either because there is/was debate about them, or because they just plain aren't possible the way Dom II works, or finally because they seem questionable (quite subjectively) to me

LintMan's wishlist(s), shortened and compacted:

Battle viewer wishlist:
- options to turn on more verbose text of what is happenning in the battle. Ie: "Luigi casts Fireball, 2 militia killed, 1 damaged".
- ability to view unit/squad morale
- toggle to display units' health/fatigue bars above their heads
- small numbers over unit's heads shoving damage they received
- negative effects that a unit can get in combat being visible (entangled, webbed, in fire etc.)
- way to highlight all the commanders (both sides) in battle (no gameplay effect, only to find them from the crowd)

Monthly Messages list wishlist:
- fix the "Goto Province" bug, where it is broken for certain events (such as assasinations)
- Some Messages are very, very generic; more detail would be helpful:
how many gems were found in the gem finding events,
which global enchantment was cast (I don't think it says in some cases),
which global enchantment got bumped, if one did.
- battle reports listing the number of units that fled the battle (both sides), and if units of either side died while fleeing showing that too
- battle results report able to show which commanders/units were lost

UI wishlist:
- things like the exit button and gem totals (on the spell ritual lists)being part of the window frame and not scrolling with the window contents
- In the army setup screen, being able to show all the afflicted units without choosing them
- map icons (like the temple/castle ones) for scouts/spys/assasins in enemy territory.
- It'd be nice if province name and assorted info (ie: population, ownership), gotten from scouting/spying was remembered after the scout/spy leaves the area.
- If you select a ritual spell that you cannot afford, or which your mage cannot cast, the window closes without any warning that your selection was invalid. I believe this is also true for magic items you can't afford to forge. It'd be nice if there was a little popup warning you about this.
- If you let your magic item treasury fill up, further forged items get lost without warning. It's be nice if the treasury couldn't fill up, or if you got a warning about this.

Gameplay stuff:
- It'd be nice if routed units on the victor's side "came back", rather than getting scattered at surrounding provinces
- It'd be cool if units in a surrounded province knew that routing means certain doom, and had a slight morale boost.
- battle limits (death/retreat after xx turns) increased
- allow the path cost multiplier for pretender creation to be modded (ie: instead of 8 per level, allow modding it to 6, or 10).
- allow the individual scale costs to be modded. (Ie, make, say, "order" cost more, or "luck" cost less, or possibly even allow negative scales to pay more or less than the positive side does).
- I know Dom2 is PBEM and all, but how about throwing us single-player-only people a bone and adding save/reload functionality for SP only? third-party aoo for this exists

AI wishlist:
- The AI's able to build castles
- AI "personalities" and/or customizable/moddable behavior
- ability to toggle AI/computer control for SP games

added 12th September:
-making armies consisting of only light cavalry move before armies consisting of other troop types
-rebalancing madcastling/raiding:
__*making it easier to catch raiders
__*making temple-burning take one turn
__*the light-cavalry update above
__*making it harder to fortify every province
-rebalancing the spell "False horror" (by increasing Air level needed or fatique cost)

-make bloodmages more willing to use their slaves than gem-using mages their gems Post#274072
-make the game show the Version network host is using
-summon XXX (unique summoning spells) should have chance of changing ownership of a unit when all of them are already summoned (thread)
-new dome that does not block spells but tells you from which province the spell originated, possibly would only work if the spell got through other domes
-shapechanging activated by thing other than death/command (thread)

-one-way shapechange activated when unit is made prophet
-artifact pretender granting artifact-status to the wielder or the ability to mod it (thread)
-new pretenders (thread)
-make "pool slaves" -command not take slaves from commanders making blood sacrifice or let them take their slaves straight from lab
-decay affects more units than seems appopriate by description, it should say that decay effects non-living creatures too
-rebalance vampire lords', wraith lords' and maybe Fallen Angels' abilities to summon allies (eg. by population death) (thread)
-warning when commander's orders are canceled (list of situations)
-more random casting/moving etc. order (for DomIII)
-mod command #stoneform making unit immune to petrification (Bug: Origenes is petrified when going from stone to stone)
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Wishlist for September

There, it seems it came out okay. Thanks for Gandalf for the idea... feel free to add your own ones. If someone would like to keep care of this monster, feel free but remember to feed it regularly with whatever you catch from these forums, as we don't want to let it die.

Heh, already edited it for the first time...

Endoperez
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

WOW. Thats the best first-effort Ive seen done on a wishlist.

Previous first efforts tended to start as a next-patch list, or a gripe list, or a demands list, or a fix-this list. You did no opinionated prioritizing. It only mentions fix/broke one time and I didnt find the wording at all questionable or challenging. I only quickly glanced at it but I didnt see anything worded in a way that forced the devs to agree or disagree with a request. VERY nicely done!

If no one messes it up I think this will be a tagged thread for the devs to visit. IMHO
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Corporal

Lepakko is on a distinguished road

that was.... ... .... realy nice.. i mean GREAT!!

i think if they made all that it will take long... but realy nice wishlist..
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Some of the items I have no problem being "desired features" but I would like to point them out as being possible now. For those who feel they are majorly important items and are willing to do abit to get them now. Maybe we could add a (3) after them to flag them as 3rd party capable.

* being able to Create god, game and go to play it without going back to the main menu in between

* Pre-made pretenders for new players

* Quick start game for new players

* Ability to store more than one god for each nation

* Battle Sim

- adding save/reload functionality for SP only
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 11th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Heh, thanks! However, I only made five or so entries myself. I just copy-pasted the ideas of others, wrote some down from about dozen Posts two or three threads and posted it. But still not so bad, eh? ;D

It is quite easy to make pretenders, but making simple ones easily usable by newcomers is harder. If done officially after our forumites' ideas it wouldn't be too much of a problem, though.

My view of implementing it:
For demo-Abysia:
Special Moloch with Fire 6, Dominion 7, and pretty good scales. The trick is, instead (or in addition to) his description there are general gameplay tips and tricks. This would be easily done by a mod, but mods don't and shouldn't work with demo. The problem is in allowing it to be Abysia's pretender without it showing up in the pretender selection screen. I think Cheat Detection would notice it...

Quick-start game for new players:
Same way, but starting with maybe fourth turn and some general scripts already given to some units. I'm using Abysia as an example agian. One combat should be seen on the Messages, and in it Anathemant Salamander/Dragon participates and casts spells. The turn before a message should have been sent for everyone telling what the AS/AD did, what is the plan and what has already been done. Two Messages, the first being small story and second describing the gameplay effects would be even better.

About ability to store more than one god for each nation:
Everyone who reads this and has Excel or similar, go to SunrayBe's site and download the " An excel file to design and compare pretenders, by Schutzpat"! It uses Excel macros and OpenOffice does not seem to execute them properly. However, it lets you choose any pretender and theme available to man, magics and scales you wish as well as the castle you choose. Then it counts it together and shows wheter what you want is affordable. A great, great tool, or atleast great potential! Is it possible to do something along those lines but not requiring excel? Maybe something akin to the Online Grimoire.

I have been going to check Cherry's Battle Simulator for some time, but haven't had time. It only works and give hard numbers, and I presume you meant graphical one, but it is the closest we ahve not counting the one in Dom1.
Old September 11th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

I just have one suggestion, an all light cavalry army moving under the 'magical' movement stage (or possibly between the two stages). Oh, and one request is already solved; checking magic/undead/normal leadership.

Good list.
Old September 11th, 2004, 05:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Endoperez said:
It is quite easy to make pretenders, but making simple ones easily usable by newcomers is harder. If done officially after our forumites' ideas it wouldn't be too much of a problem, though.
Yep, we had a thread going on the subject once. The initial set would mostly keep people from being confused because the menu buttons "dont work" unless you use them in the right order (cant play game till you start game, cant start game till you make god). The pretenders provided dont have to be great. In fact if they spur the new user with an immeadiate feeling of "I can do better" then that would be fine. There was a project started (the first one listed at www.dom2minions.com ) but nobody jumped up to help. Sometime I might finish it. It covers the starter game also.

Quote:
About ability to store more than one god for each nation:
There are alot of ways it can be done. JohanK added the ability to do seperate directorys as an environment variable so that you can have different starter icons start the game using different directorys. Or batch files would work.

Quote:
I have been going to check Cherry's Battle Simulator for some time, but haven't had time. It only works and give hard numbers, and I presume you meant graphical one, but it is the closest we ahve not counting the one in Dom1.
I did one also. Kindof. Its a mini map with an example of using it to test battles. It definetly could be improved but it does work pretty well for starting a quick game with any pretender/army/equipment set up in provinces next door to each other. At least it allows you to actually watch the battle in game but you have to read the PDF file on map commands to use it. I suppose a program could be built around it, graphically build what you want and have it write out the .map file calling Dom2 to play it.
Old September 11th, 2004, 08:05 PM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

A lot of good suggestions here.

Few from my own mental wishlist.

1. Something *really* need to be done with madcastling. (And it has nothing to do with cheating for gems/money/whatever.)

It is still the issue in almost all of my MP games. Here are two simple suggestions, any of them (or both) if implemented could really help this issue.

A. Make the price of each of new castle increase, after the level of "madcastling" pass the certain "safe" limit. Something like "My Lord, the economy of your nation is strugling to support the numerious castles that you already have build."

For example - say the original castle cost is 300 GP. While less than 33% of player's territory is covered with castles, they all cost just nominal 300gp to build. After 33% limit passed (light case of madcastling) each new castle cost slightly more than the previous one - 1st one to build over 33% cost 330GP, next 360GP, etc. After 66% of your territory is covered with castles (bad case of madcastling, happens VERY often in MP games unfortunately) the price of each new castle will start to raise more sharply.

Very simple system, takes 10-20 minutes max. to implement in terms of coding, no hard limit on the ammount of castles , therefore the players can still chose to persue this strategy as far as they wants. You want to cover the 400 provinces map with castles? Sure, you can do it, but it'll cost you some extra.

As it is now, there is no reason to NOT madcastle in the competitive MP, especially in the mid/late game where money becomes lees and less important. And playing on the map where each province is covered with castles is *not* fun and quite boring(for everybody other than madcastler of course), as all players that I spoke with agreed.

B. Another and more time consuming suggestion is to make temples burnable only by special commander order. So when enemy rides your province with temple but without castle, he needs to keep it for *at least 1 turn*, so his commander could issue the order "Destroy building" to destroy his enemy temple (temples and monasteries often had a very strong walls for this very reason historically). As of now one of the main reason for madcastling (although of course not the only one) is to protect your temples agaisnt raiders.

This suggestion, if implemented, could make madcastling somewhat a bit less powerfull strategy, and would not force all other players to madcastle when one start madcastling spree, as it currently happens in MP games. Also this change, if imlemented, makes raiding more interesting and complex activity as well, by adding anohter level of choices. For the Raider: "Should I stay in this privince for one more turn, to burn this Temple and kill the priests hiding behind its thick walls? And risk enemy retaliation? Or should I keep moving, raiding another province and stayng 1 step ahead of enemy persuit? Or should I lay trap for my enemy, burning temple while summoning massive reinforcemtns to meet the temple - rescue force?"

For the Defender: " Should I try to help the monks in the temple before it got burned? Or should I concentrate on catching the raiders, since I don't think they would dare to stay in the temple province and face my wraith? Or is it a trap, designed to lure me in and destroy my "fire brigade"?" Et cetera...

Now I reilize that suggestion B may reqire some significant recoding, since there is no concept of "enemy building" in the province, other than Fort, as of now. So it may be difficult to implement. But IMHO suggestion A is very simple since making price of new castles flexible is very easy to do, and it can go a very long way toward making madcastling less notorious.

I would very much like to hear what devs think about it. Several current MP games are trying to limit madcastling with house rules, but it is very hard to do using house rules, since it requires constant recalculations each turn, which is very annoying for some players. While having soft limit on number of castle is very reaslitic (how many castels can your Empire support after all??? Castles reqiure a lot of resourses and population to build and maintain) and it would increase fun and enjoyment from the game for all players. I don't believe that devs have intended for the castles to cover each and every province, as it happen very often, and for most peaople to play with Mausoleum/Watch Towers.

With best regards,
Stormbinder
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:16 PM

Sergeant

Kel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Stormbinder said:Castles reqiure a lot of resourses and population to build and maintain

Watchtowers, however, which are usually what are being built, do not. Castles DO cost a lot, that's why noone uses them.
Quote:
and it would increase fun and enjoyment from the game for all players.
I haven't had the same experiences you have and I rarely see the kind of castles you are talking about until the late game. If there was no defense, even temporary, from raiding, it would make my game less fun, not more fun. Your first suggestion, at least, would strengthen raiding and weaken the uses of dominion (at least any that required the use of temples).
Quote:

I don't believe that devs have intended for the castles to cover each and every province, as it happen very often, and for most peaople to play with Mausoleum/Watch Towers.

I do actually agree with this but this has to do with the nature of the castles, not with the concept of 'madcastling'. Making castles escalate later on in no way encourages one not to take a cheap castle as the watchtower would still be cheaper and built faster than if one had taken a Citadel of some kind. On top of that, it would still build faster (the most important point, to me) and would still cost less design points. I would rather see the cheaper towers reduce resource output (as they have reduced gold via lower admin values now) or something along those lines as far as balancing the fortifications go. That may not have the desired impact on madcastling but like I said, it hasn't been a problem in my games.

- Kel