.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old January 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warhammer MA: Empire

The idea seems interesting, even though as it is now, I'd think it more suitable for, say, Chaos or Tomb Kings. I am not sure whether it's possible to change it so that spells would change existing wizards instead (turning unit into a new form with better magic and special abilities, plus appropriate gold cost for upkeep), but if it's so, I would make such approach...
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Because it's a summon you mean? It's fairly easy to explain.

"When Teclis brought magic to the humans of the Old World, he knew that while too short-lived to understand High Magic and the full truth of the eight Lores, human wizards could certainly master one Lore. He founded the Eight Colleges that stand today; Bright, Gold, Grey, Amber, Celestial, Light, Jade and Amethyst. The Colleges pick only wizards of clear potential to join their ranks and while they compete for the best and the brightest, they work together to license and thus control aspiring wizards. These minor mages, known as Initiates, may be employed by any of the Colleges to fill lesser roles, acting as scribes, investigating rumours of magical sites and the like. For ambitious Counts and generals, Initiates serve as both magical support and contacts through which fully fledged wizards from their patron College may be hired."

A summon doesn't have to mean you draw a magic circle and use gems to make something appear. You can even have 0 gem summons which then cost gold.
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Corporal

Mordici is on a distinguished road

This looks like its going to be another mod nation that will get me playing this game more than I should

I love the whole wizard summoning concept to get the magic working. Plus I love nations with large numbers of heroes.

One question on the wizard summoning though. If you summon the Patriarch of a school and it dies, will you be able to resummon it again or is it dead?

With Sombre behind the wheel this will be on par with the Skaven mod if not better!
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM

BANNED USER

You can resummon a slain patriarch as though it were a demon lord or similar unique summon. But the cost will be steep, of course.
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Summons which cost not gems but gold are interesting, of course. I didn't know such were possible.
At the same time, an idea that a wizard can eventually reach higher state through certain rituals of initiation is more appealing to me. Or is it impossible to implement by modding?
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:46 PM

BANNED USER

I can't see a 'clean' way to do it, sadly. There's probably a few hacky ways to do it, but none of them appeal to me. Maybe you'll be able to work it out when you do 'em.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sombre For This Useful Post:
Old January 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's doable really. I don't really see the problem with summonable mages either.
If the nations have the accolyte and the normal wizard of each school (thats already quite a list on the recruit screen) then having the 2 higher powers of mages as summons is nice enough if they are not too high into the research tree and don't cost to much gems to get and still need upkeep.
When you said you could make them cost gold I think you meant upkeep right? or can you actually make them cost gold to summon (because I wouldn't know how).
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:21 AM

BANNED USER

Yeah, upkeep. 0 gem cost summons which /then/ cost gold.
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:37 AM

Lieutenant General

hmm a mage that would normally cost 400 gold for would be cheap... or just incredibly expensive after a number of turn if the upkeep was high.

The biggest problem I can think of is you have NO recruitment times and/or restrictions by castles. YOu could just recruit TONS of the cheap summoning bastards, send them to a lab on the front, let them all summon a powerfull wizard and then send him out in the fight immediately, so he's consting only a very low upkeep.. and the summoners could then just KEEP on going.. powerfull mages could be used as expendable chaff. The primary investment is what makes a unit valuable and why you need to protect him.
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Lieutenant General

and when you've won a war you'd just separate the summoners in one prov + one powerfull firemage and the rest in another and cast a few fires from afar on it to kill all the powerfull mage chaff so you don't have to pay the upkeep