.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.60 5 races total now.. Insects and Orcs as latest additions.

infrequent spawning males??? I made the queens able to summon males too.. means you'll need more queens maybe but overall you should be able to create a lot of males.. and they are only makemonster2 atm.. I could increase that if I wanted (to 5 max)

this is in your version already, it's not a new thing.. I had this problem thought out myself and wanted options to get a good load of males in space

PS which hiver is able to go in space.. I though only the female and the male where able to go there...
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:49 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.60 5 races total now.. Insects and Orcs as latest additions.

The Hivers called "Hiver" are the ones that can go into space. I guess they weren't intended to be in space then. Once I figured out that they could I didn't make any more normal queens, so I only had the primordia regina and one normal queen, plus a bunch of the hive queens.

The summon allies button summons males? I couldn't quite tell, I had too much happening at once. I guess that helps, though I am still not sure how well you'd do trying to fight over space with so few units. I guess you have the other things to provide some distraction, but it sounds iffy. And if you're making them, you're not researching, or blood hunting, or sacrificing, or making more females... that might be a bit much to give up for 2 males.
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Lieutenant General

hmm true, I might implement the thingie mentioned in the insectoid thread, so the generate slaves automatically 3/turn or something and then let them kill pop. Till that day.. just make more queens.. TO make it up to you I'll have them make 4 males though.
The hiver space shape was there but the command to change to it wasn't thx for noticing. I might give the hive queens something which works in space too.

PS how do you compare the Soldier (Nest) to protector (Hive) as ranged attack units I guess the hive should still be stronger but previously the soldier didnt have that attack so might be I made the attack on the soldier too strong so the protector isn't that usefull anymore
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Personally I never used them as ranged units, because they're so incredibly effective at melee. But you don't terribly have to worry about them being too strong, 8 ap barely qualifies as a ranged attack in dom3k whereas the protectors have aoe poison... basically 3 or 4 an aoe damage, to just about anything. Actually I would suggest lowering the amount of those summoned, you don't need them in huge quantities to be effective, and they're quite strong at range.

I am not sure what corrosion does. Is that a break armor effect? If that's the case, then I could see it being useful as a ranged attack, but I would suggest lowering the ammo to 2 or maybe 3. That way you could use it without completely giving up their melee potential. Did you intend for the drones to not have AP attacks? They both have Insectoid Claw attacks but the drone's version doesn't pierce armor. That was a big reason for me to use the soldiers in melee instead of ranged. You also may or may not want to increase the ammo on the protector's ranged attack, as it has 5 shots.
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Lieutenant General

The no AP attack on basic drones was intented ( I created the AP claw specifically for the other troops), they are just chaff IMHO.. if the race is balanced without the soldiers being good ranged troops then I'm not changing it.. the race doesn't need to have much ranged attack.

I have no direct clue what corrosion does to be honest.. I hope it breaks down armor though

PS if you put the Soldiers in the front line shooting they will end up in melee soon enough.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

You may want to try my "Travelers" and "New Crobuzon" mods. Travelers have mecha like armor, while New Crobuzon uses steam armor and guns.
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Lieutenant General

Hmm Well I guess travelers will still be different from my Jomon so I'll have a look at them later. I'll also look at New Crobuzon but that sounds more like 19th century than sci-fi .

I'm busy with Commonwealth now though so the rest will have to wait. Spend hours modding your old sprites into spaceforms (Once I knew what I wanted it went fast but that took me a while) Now I'm doing the code and I'll need to mod a lot (modding spaceforms is a pretty boring job, creating the units all together is nicer, but I'm not gonna just use your pics, must remain mostly your mod --> the idea and the stats are great anyway so nothing to gain anyway.)

Commonwealth will be ready soon I hope.
Old September 20th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

Good luck
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:23 PM

Lieutenant General

hehe I'm sort of ready atm..

Commonwealth will be uploaded soon
it's the same as Amos version (clearly)
except for the following
- spaceform, with wings for most units but a shuttle for the 2 human sized mages.
- no simians
- one weakish (?) but AN ranged infantry unit
- also air magic for all mages (most randoms are now ASW) (to make clear for myself why there are lightning attacks)
- less astral magic (3) on the ship but 1 air added
- changed some weapons on the ships (made most stronger)
- lowered cost for nearly all spells
- increased costs for all commanders
- dyingdom, starting with a stronger terraformer (the Galactic Ice Citadel)
- added a new turret (lightning turret)
- wormhole now is S3 A1 (still castable by the ships and no other units (well maybe with VERY VERY lucky randoms, I'd have to check but I even doubt that)
- Frigate is recruitable
- there is a farsummon spell to create a few frigates, destroyers and a leading ship in a distant planet

Last edited by Aezeal; September 20th, 2008 at 07:52 PM..
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM

Lieutenant General

ow and I gave them illwinter.. if you in some way get a Blood 5 mage and research it.. well then you may cast it