.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 5th, 2006, 02:43 AM

Private

Michaelangelo is on a distinguished road
Default Manual for demo?

Is there a version of the manual available for online viewing... having fun with the demo until Christmas (I sure hope....) and I'm wishing I could browse through something with a bit of meat to understand what's actually going on here.

Thanks, I really like what I see so far!
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Manual for demo?

It's a deliberate decision of Shrapnelgames not to put anything from the manual online - that's part of the copy protection sheme, together with the serial that is given out with each game and transmitted to the devs server each time one joins a MP on the internet.

Therefore, you're mostly out of luck.

Mostly, because if you have some "singular" questions, we here at the forum would be glad to help you.
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM

Private

Thanks for the offer. So far I've tried searching for answers to most questions here on the forums. It's not the best in terms of functionality or interface, but it's better than nothing! The hard part is just coming to grips with the things most long-time players take for granted I suppose. There are a lot of strange abbreviations and terms that require a bit of digging to understand. I hope the manual doesn't make that assumption!
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:17 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

You have tried the tutorial, haven't you? The documentation probably came with the demo.
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:22 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Michaelangelo said:
Thanks for the offer. So far I've tried searching for answers to most questions here on the forums. It's not the best in terms of functionality or interface, but it's better than nothing! The hard part is just coming to grips with the things most long-time players take for granted I suppose. There are a lot of strange abbreviations and terms that require a bit of digging to understand. I hope the manual doesn't make that assumption!
The manual is very, very good.
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:49 AM

Private

I've tried the tutorial, it explains 'how' to play the game (mostly), but there isn't much to explain the factors that go into the game. The descriptions and unit stats explain some, but there seems to be a lot missing. It's hard to tell what many spells do, nothing to explain what certain effects mean and do and how they affect the game parameters, etc. Is that the kind of detail the manual provides, or is everything hidden behind the game engine?
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:23 AM

Corporal

Hullu is on a distinguished road

Manual provides an immense amount of information. Most of the things you need to know. How attack/defense/whatnot stats work, quite detailed descriptions of all the spells, etc.

The game is playable without the manual, but it really helps and makes it all the more interesting when you have some more information
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Of course, the manual _doesn't_ say much of anything about the aging system or a couple other mechanics, not to mention saying nothing about all the various bugs.
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Hmmm what manual discusses bugs?
Besides, bugs are more temporary in this game than manual changes.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Private

I've actually thought for some time that a game that documented the bugs would be quite interesting, especially if a designed feature of the game itself was to 'fix' the bugs by solving puzzles or completing certain sequences of events in the course of the game. It could even work in a game like Dominions. For example, you could have troops that had faulty stats or abilities that could be corrected via training, (which could include battles, training courses, etc). Kind of like an experience system only more quirky because you never know how your troops will behave until they gain training levels (and experience). But I digress...

Rumor has it, if I'm a good boy, I can expect my manual (and game) on Christmas morning.

(Edited to fix a spelling issue)