.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 25th, 2009, 02:36 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default AI Opponent Balance MOD

AI Opponent Balance MOD

PURPOSE: Currently there are many spells which provide the human player a significantly huge advantage when battling the AI opponents since the AI opponents are not able to counter the effects. As a result an otherwise powerful opponent is easily crippled or even worse cripples itself by casting one of these spells. For those new to installing mods I've listed some instructions.

SPECIAL FEATURE: Also I've provided Late_Age_Abysia with a great number of spells already learned... as long as Late_Age_Abysia is not used as a player this allows map makers to have a group of independents on the map which have a much larger list of spells available for casting during battle!! Currently regular independents have a very small list of available spells making most independent spellcasters not very effective by middle and late game. During my game testing I discovered the AI opponents WILL NOT initially attack these provinces which are owned by a nation which is not linked with a player no matter how weak the province. It's possible to have them eventually attack these provinces by placing regular grey independents inside a castle and having the Late_Age_Abysia independent sitting on top of the castle. For some reason this allows the computer to recognize Late_Age_Abysia as a threat and potentially attack its other locations. This feature can be especially valuable for map makers and is optional. Human players should not play Late_Age_Abysia when using this MOD unless seeking to provide themselves with a battlefield advantage.

INSTRUCTIONS: Place all the following files into your dominions3\mods directory. Typically the fastest way to locate this directory is by right clicking on the start button then choosing explore, now click on the negative sign next to Document and Settings. Once finished click on the plus sign for program files then the plus sign for Dominions3 and then highlight the MODS folder. Paste all these contents into the mods folder. Finally the last step is starting your Dominions3 as usual then choosing Preferences then select Mod Preferences and choosing AOB. Your next new game will use the AI Opponent Balance mod.

SPELLS: The majority of changes involve removing spells which harm or cripple the AI opponents significantly more than human opponents.

AI opponents are unable to counter the following spells except LA ERMOR and thus removed:
FOUL AIR; BURDEN of TIME; UTTERDARK

AI opponents are effectively doomed by the following spells and thus removed:
ASTRAL CORRUPTION; ARCANE NEXUS;

AI opponents are at a massive disadvantage by the following spells and thus unable to be researched:
COMMUNION MASTER; COMMUNION SLAVE; SABBATH MASTER; SABBATH SLAVE
*The items can still be forged

AI opponents are at a massive disadvantage by the following spells and thus nerfed:
UNDEAD MASTERY; MASTER ENSLAVE; ARCANE DOMINATION; WILD HUNT; KINDLY ONES; WRATH OF GOD

A few new summon spells have been added which should be useful for both the AI opponents and the human player(s).

The majority of remaining spells have been balanced, many in relation to the CBM from quantum mechanic, so the AI opponent is less likely to be wasting gems.

ITEMS: At this time only two items have been changed which harm the AI opponents.

The Black Heart - construction cost altered to reduce the chances of the AI building the artifact. The poor placing of this artifact on non-stealth wizards is painful to watch.

The Bane Venom Charm - removed from the game since this can seriously harm an AI opponent when sent to its capital and farmlands.

MONSTERS: At this time one new monster and two monsters altered.

New Monster: Summoner
Using map edit commands you can provide Atlantis with a water province which has the void gate and several copies of this creature allowing Atlantis to provide a greater threat. This is just an option for those familiar using mapedit commands, be aware do not use the commander number when placing on maps. You need to specify the commander name(#commander Summoner) when placing on a map as the commander number does not get recognized based on the way Dominions_3 currently works for new units.

Altered Monster: Eater of the Dead
The spell cost and the actual statistics of this creature have been improved since previously it was probably the worst gem investment within the game. At least now it may be considered for those interested in spending time raising a creature who eventually goes independent beserk.

Altered Monster: Great Eagle
Added a small chance for this creature to have magic paths if Gift of Reason is used. Hopefully this will generate interest in seeing this spell casted during games.

MAGIC SITES: Added three new magic sites which can be given to computer opponents via mapedit commands preferably at thier capital or an otherwise strongly protected location allowing the computer opponents to provide a greater threat. These are optional for those familiar using mapedit commands.

Site#930 Blood Skies

Site#931 Volcanic Geyser

Site#932 Asteroidice

NATION CHANGE: For those interested in having independents on the map with a healthy list of battlefield spells the map edit commands can be used to place Late_Age_Abysia on the map for specific provinces. As long as Late_Age_Abysia is not one of the players within a game this will provide unique fighting locations which only the human player will be fighting unless another location exists which has the regular independents inside a castle with the Late_Age_Abysia independents on top which for some reason allows the AI opponents to recognize and consider attacking the other locations.

IDEAS/THOUGHTS: I'm willing to hear ideas and thoughts, but please play at least two games using this mod before listing gameplay adjustments. I am interested in hearing some modding suggestions by the more experienced modders which can allow this to be more game friendly.

-- ThankYou's

-- -- -- special thanks to Illwinter (KO and JK) for creating such a great game

-- -- special thanks to quantum_mechani for CBM_mod which was partially used for game balance
Attached Files
File Type: zip AI_Opponent_Balance.zip (6.9 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by NTJedi; June 2nd, 2009 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: added details
The Following User Says Thank You to NTJedi For This Useful Post:
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI Opponent Balance MOD

NTJedi, may I ask the rationale behind using LA Abysia for the spells?

I rather like this mod, BTW, in concept.
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:19 AM

Sergeant

hEad is on a distinguished road

Good work! Anything that gives the AI a leg up is welcome bonus!

Perhaps you could consider working Llamabeasts divine blessing mini mod into this to ensure that AI nations get an advantage from the large magic picks they plop on their pretender rather than have it go to waste and suffer instead from horrible scales.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...t=42307&page=2
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:35 AM

General

Thumbs up Re: AI Opponent Balance MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedalkenBear View Post
NTJedi, may I ask the rationale behind using LA Abysia for the spells?

I rather like this mod, BTW, in concept.
Well I tried to select a nation which had a unique flag so it wouldn't be mistaken for another nation. Also I figured since the old age is more painful for Abysia it wouldn't be missed as compared to other nations.
If this is a popular nation amongst the community I could move it to another nation... or perhaps create an empty nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hEad View Post
Good work! Anything that gives the AI a leg up is welcome bonus!

Perhaps you could consider working Llamabeasts divine blessing mini mod into this to ensure that AI nations get an advantage from the large magic picks they plop on their pretender rather than have it go to waste and suffer instead from horrible scales.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...t=42307&page=2
Sounds interesting... I will check out the details of this divine blessing mini-mod during the weekend.
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

NTJedi: I wouldn't know how popular LA Abysia is overall, but I think it's in the top 50% of nations for me.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

why not just make a new nation for what you did with LA abyssia? I know I've placed a new nation as a sort of indy on a map once which the AI didn't attack.. used it as gatekeeper... seems to be what you do too.. why waste a perfectly good nation on it?

I just made all nations friendly with the nation I used as gatekeeper (you seem to imply that AI won't attack them anyway but I've just not tested that ) only thing you need is give the nation ownership and you can place any fun unit you want there.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:19 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
why not just make a new nation for what you did with LA abyssia? I know I've placed a new nation as a sort of indy on a map once which the AI didn't attack.. used it as gatekeeper... seems to be what you do too.. why waste a perfectly good nation on it?

I just made all nations friendly with the nation I used as gatekeeper (you seem to imply that AI won't attack them anyway but I've just not tested that ) only thing you need is give the nation ownership and you can place any fun unit you want there.
Yes, the next version will use a new nation for the special independents. At the time it was just easier to use an existing nation.
Hopefully I can find a unique image within the Dominions files for its flag, but I'll create its own flag if no luck.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:23 AM

General

I'm working on an updated version... was wondering if there was any more feedback from the SP gamers.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM

Sergeant

DakaSha is on a distinguished road

so what happens if i use this and cbm together?

Check out my first map: Sha Bay
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakaSha View Post
so what happens if i use this and cbm together?
They should work together just fine.