.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 13th, 2008, 12:28 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.55 NEW ORKS !!!

I know but any issues with the already existing nations.. or suggestions for balancing?
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:13 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Oh. No, not really at the moment. Just when it was starting to get good my game stopped :P So I don't really have much to add.
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Lieutenant General

Ok 0.6 coming up with insects included

a few days ago I wanted to change something but I forgot what it was.. let me know if things need changing it might be what I missed.

Orc and Insect will be hard to balance with the rest but let me know how they are now.
Orcs should be better playable than last version. Insects already where balanced by Amos somewhat I beefed them up a bit with a lil higher armor and some AP attacks on different units.

Most insects are next to useless in space, I wonder how that will work out.

Last edited by Aezeal; September 15th, 2008 at 10:21 AM..
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM

General

Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.60 5 races total now.. Insects and Orcs as latest additions.

Well... the first thing I noticed is that the insects aren't available as a playable nation. I was going to test the orks first anyway, but that is a little extra incentive.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Lieutenant General

Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.60 5 races total now.. Insects and Orcs as latest additions.

lol ok forgot to mod that part in.. I'll update the files in a few sec
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

I think the "Commonwealth" mod might be a good fit for this mod. Starships are included.

Last edited by Amos; September 15th, 2008 at 03:39 PM..
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Lieutenant General

hmm I'll look into it more nations that are ready for action are always nice

I'd like some feedback on the current nations though.. rdonj has done a great job on the first 3 nations but orcs and insects need at least some balancing and more views on balance are always good.

Amos your feedback would be appreciated too
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM

General

Seem like bugs:
1) After the Ork Heroes enter space they turn into a fighter form and don't turn back on planets.
2) The starting army includes 10 Ork Heroes as troops?
3) Ork Heroes seem to serve no purpose in the initial form, except if you wanted them to not be producing units for some reason. They get stronger and can lead more troops so I don't understand why the first form is there.
4) The other two commanders are the same way, their initial form doesn't seem to do anything that their second form doesn't do better.
5) You also get veterans as troops sometimes, I thought they were commanders?

The Ork's magic seems really limited, only being able to get earth 1 on its national commanders and needing lots of nature combined with other paths to summon things.

I'm pretty sure they produce too fast, the price of the commanders isn't very limiting so it's fairly easy to get a huge number of troops every month really early in the game.
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Lieutenant General

1/ will be changed

2/ rdonj I changed nr 2 already, with the update that does include insects

3/ the purpose is to be able to buy them for a price while after changing they have a higher upkeep price.. it also shows all heros begin as just strong warriors , WAD, not a bug if I ever need a scout I could make this one a scout though but I'm against it for now.

4/ same for these , WAD, not a bug

5/ you have a veteran boss (commander) and veteran troops (mostly summoned by commander but also rare domsummons by other ones.

on the other comments
--> there must be more than earth 1 in there I think, the orc crafter has earth 2 and there is a summon (bigger builder) that has E3 he's also needed for bigger ships

They aren't that expensive that is true but the unrest they create was crippling my econ when it was a previous level (negative income in like 10 turns.) Their higher upkeep cost should limit the cash you have somewhat.. if not then I can always change prices of the bosses. the better units also have upkeep (the basic ones don't)

Also you can only create one per castle.. so you'd need more castles first to mass produce them and you need to buy mages for research too. (who can't research if they build big ships.)

DL the mod again in 5 min and see if it's better plz
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM

General

Well, after realizing that my crafters only had 1 earth and I really couldn't do anything with that I just started mass producing commanders.... And with just the commanders I didn't really have any trouble building more forts, at the moment I'm in year 3 and can produce a commander from 4 forts every turn. Also because it really doesn't matter where you build your forts you can build them in places that don't generate much money and put all your commanders who are summoning into one or two low income provinces and it makes your unrest not hurt that much. I took a quick look at my unrest levels and I would guess I'm not losing more than 140 gold a turn off of unrest. Patrolling helps too.

I didn't realize about 5, that's cool then.

The main reason I don't like the ork heroes having to change shape to summon troops is because it's really hard remembering the names of all the ones I've already changed, so I had to start renaming them so I'd know who was who. It's just a bit of micromanagement frustration.

I also noted while fighting jomon that the Dai Oni attack sprite creates a giant black block on top of the Oni. And then I realized how insanely good Jomon's PD is, with evenish numbers of fire battle suits and defenders, wow. I'm way too strong to be killed in this game, but low ork morale, lack of ability to hit ice battle suits and rather large amounts of money spent on really nasty PD might make it impossible for me to actually win.