.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

Maltrease is on a distinguished road
Default EA - Oceania... What can they do on land?

It looks like early erra Oceania is stuck in the water. Sure they can send up a few Mermen and a very limited mage but beyond that everything is Aquatic only.

What can they hope to do vs land nations? Any good strategies? Any good water spells that the W4 Triton Kings could use once they get an amulet of the fish?
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:36 PM

Sergeant

dirtywick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EA - Oceania... What can they do on land?

Well, there's always indy troops to supplement your armies.

Water has a few choice Evocation and Thaum spells, like Falling Frost, Ice Strike, and Sailor's Death. Then there's Frozen Heart from Alteration which is OK and Quickening which is great. Other than that, not much without other paths, Water's not a very strong path IMO.
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:46 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
dirtywick said:
Other than that, not much without other paths, Water's not a very strong path IMO.
Correct... even tho it has been improved with a few spells, it was also weakened since water mages on land can no longer enter water provinces.
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sheap is on a distinguished road

I would point out that if you are Oceania, the last water magic change is actually better for you as you do not have to worry about being invaded by any old water mage. Your enemy has to dig up amphibious troops or forge items to come after you.
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:53 AM

Corporal

Zebion is on a distinguished road

I still wonder why there's no item that allows water troops to come on land.
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

There's Amulet of the Fish to allow aquatic commanders to come to land.
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Will said:
There's Amulet of the Fish to allow aquatic commanders to come to land.
I think its a little unfair that Amulet of the Fish is lvl 4 construction, air breathing 1, well Ring of Water breathing and Amulet of Breathing, water breathing 1 r lvl 2 construction. Also to add insult to injury, the magic paths r W1A1, W1 and A2.

Why r land nations favoured so much over water nations?
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:27 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

All land nations have troops that can go to land AFAIK. Without items. Both units and commanders. Also, I don't think the breathing items have been updated in quite some time. They are the same as they have always been. They haven't been changed now that Water mages can't automatically enter water. They aren't expensive, but they haven't been made easier to craft either.
Old November 19th, 2006, 04:39 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Look more closely at Early Oceanian units - there are two other types of troops who can go on land who are both better than Mermen, and who are complemented by them when mixed with a few Mermen. Put the Turtle Warriors in their own squads and order them to Fire Closest. You can also Summon Kydnides and they mix well with heavy Oceanian troops and they are very strong (but you have to decide how much water magic you want to spend on them).

PvK
Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:45 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I play water nations primarily, and I also feel that water nations are somewhat slighted. One of the advantages, though, is that you know you're only competing with Oceania, Atlantis, and R'lyeh for the best territory, maybe Agarthia and Vanheim. That's a big advantage, and water has others, like no underwater archers. You have to be careful with proposing changes to water nations. Their are tons of things that can be done, for instance spearguns for Oceania, but finding a balance isn't easy, and the designers understand that.

In terms of story, it's going to take more magical effort to move, fluidly-no pun intended-a large sphere of water, just because water is so dense and heavy. Now, having the power to move that water, the amulet of the fishes should give the wearer added protection on top of being able to breathe air, such as acting like an air-shield against missles, diluting airborne poisons and acids, protecting from heat and cold, etc. Ofcourse, it would make the wearer more susceptible to lightning. I could see Amulet of the Fishes being construction 6, if it really does create a sphere of water, but I think it just needs a little bit of description-tweaking.

I honestly haven't done much with Oceania, just because I prefer the themes of the other two water nations, as well as the details, but that's just personal preference. It can be made to work, and work well, I have no doubt. As to specific strategies for using them on land, declair war on the amphibians. I know that amber tritons are nasty independents, and independent provinces of such usually give me much more trouble than sea-trolls, unless the sea-trolls are slaves. You should be able to capture, and more importantly, hold, territory in the ocean better than any of the other water nations, and it's those conquered provinces which are going to give you the troops you need to duke it out on land.