.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM

Corporal

Maraxus is on a distinguished road
Default Nation: Githzerai

Version: 0.9
Theme: Far away in a hidden Monastery, a group of alien kick-*** monks decides to make their pretender the new god.

Features:
-1 late age nation.
-Lots of Astral magic, minimum death, nature, air.
-Everybody is stealthy (the monastary shall stay hidden) and highly magic resistent. The troops have lots and lots of attacks and good defences - but on the other side the lack the heavy armor and damage-dealing options.
Spells: Lots of summons, Conjuration knows Gith-ghosts and spirtis and an etheral Mage. Construction has an Astral Construct and a mighty Juggernaught-Trampler.
On top of this, the Githzerai are masters of teleportation magic and get these effects faster and easier.

Edit: First upload had all the summons and heros recruidable, fixed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 568221-Githzerai09.zip (111.7 KB, 352 views)

Last edited by lch; September 4th, 2008 at 04:33 AM..
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:34 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nation: Githzerai

ow the gith... this is the first mod that temps me to DL it... maybe if you make your description a bit larger...

ow and Dak'kon should be in the name list.. he's kewl.. or be a hero... he certainly was after I was through with my torment game

by the way.. I don't think the nature how minimal it might be fits the gith.. could you explain?
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:43 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

Cool.

Gah, I have to add this to the MEGAMOD. /me hopes for more nation slots.

A few comments:
* English not your first language? I'd be happy to proof this for you.
* Zen archers should be blind. The arrow knows the way.
* Go ahead and make the Psion AS (rather than the random), and give him glamour right out of the box.
* Stuff is too expensive, granted that you've given them some nice powers. Position is therefore underpowered.
* Should the Zerain maybe be Sacred?
* Consider: Inertial Blast (a magic javelin, has a glowing blue bolt as a graphic)?
* Consider: Deflect Arrows - a high parry shield with a prot of 0, can deflect arrows but doesn't actually make them tougher in melle. Monks can deflect arrows with their BARE HANDS, after all.

They'd still be somewhat overpriced (except for the archers, which are fine as-is).

Compare to equivalent Pythium units - yes, these guys all have stealth and a high MR, but most people don't pay a per-unit price premium for that, and Pythium gets hydras and other sexy things. If you stopped charging them resources entirely, these prices might be reasonable, but since they *do* pay resources for their inertial armor.... I need to compare their stats and armaments more carefully, but the Kentoka should be 10, the Zenteka (and other units who have a single minor advantage over the Kentoka, like a stat boost or a weapon) should be 12-15.

The Dai-Zerain is too expensive as-is. Go ahead and give him astral-4.

Thanks for the nice mod.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:34 AM

Corporal

No, English is second language. Spelling or grammar?
Blind archers ... sounds funny.

I don't think, that a unit with that much attacks and a good defence be sacred ... okay, they could still be reasonably countered by arrows, unless you also add air bless, but imagine 9 attacks per square + 3 charge attacks, at 13,13,11,(11) with flaming weapons and quickness.

Inertial Blast ... Like Hadoken?

Deflect arrows ... okay, I just checked back to the "excited about next patch" thread - so, it is true, that in ranged combat shields just deflect the hit? I had other impressions both with high damage ranged attacks (Jotun Boulders) and shielded unarmored targets (Lion Tribe Infantry) - so it was only a bad impression. Well, I guess, I can add that in

The Dai-Zerain is an Assasin, no ritual caster (and it's late age anyway, no need for a level 4 path). ... But I could make him a bit cheaper - still, he should better be more expencive then a bane spider.

Aezeal: About Nature: Well, Inspiration went a far way, and I thought, they should summon spirits. Japanese seams to have lots of words for spirits, ghosts and such a stuff and without any further knowledge I wanted to use some. Add to this the Ying-Yang Dualism, I thought that not all those should be death magic, some need to be life-spirits and I thing they should be represented by nature.

PS: Oh, Btw, I appologise by all Japanese people reading this for the ab-use of their words.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:55 AM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

Bane Spiders are hardly ever used; nothing to do with their cost, but your capital makes Black Sorcerers and Black Hunters and the bane spider prevents you from recruiting either. So if you want the dhai-zerain to be purely decorative, he's fine as is.

It's a problem - uncounterable assassins are unbalanced, and *counterable* assassins are not worth capital-only recruitment.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM

Corporal

Okay, I have definitly verified, that the Prot 0 Def High shield trick does not work. I've set it to 20 for fun and arrows still hurt hart.
I probably have to wait for "onebattlespell"

For the same reason, the assasin is counterable - through he sure is strong, especially once you have Alteration 3. ... But seeing the mind blasting Star child for 85 and the "4 Longdead and a sling" Empoisoner for 110, I think, that 200 gold should be fine.

That the Dai-Zerain is capital only is not so much of a problem, since your casters are recruitable anywhere and you can use the super-cheap "Astral step" spell to get him to the front line. ... Btw, does any of the other teleportation effects allow a stealthy teleporter to land hidden in an enemy province? That would be even cooler.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:35 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I've seen a high parry shield with prot 1 or 0 (I forget) work. Can you post your code for us to have a look at?
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Njah. No you don't have to wait for #onebattlespell. You just hit the same "bug" as I did when making them. You need to specify the armor type immediately after the name, otherwise the game will take it as body armor.

This should work. I modded a buch of naked guys and gave this "shield" to them and pitted them against 40 Longbowmen. Not a single hit.

Code:

#newarmor 201
#name "I'm too sexy to be pierced"
#type 4
#rcost 0
#prot 0
#def 20
#enc 0
#end

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM

Corporal

Tyrian is on a distinguished road

You can simulate deflect arrows with an air shield. The Ghitz definitively needs something to protect them versus archer, they haven't troops can stand versus archer, they have too lost with hight cost.

You can give an unit with fly (too simulate in battle teleportation).This unit can be a sacred unit because they have a more stronger link with astral plan.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

a shield would be better since you could then add airshield on top of it which should be possible thematically (why wouldn't you be able to use an airshield when deflecting arrows) a def 20 deflect arrows might be a bit to much though
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.