.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 6th, 2006, 01:14 AM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road
Default Hm, how likely is Feeblemind?

Just curious -- an expensive feebleminded mage can be even worse than a dead one, if you don't have a ready means of healing.
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:25 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hm, how likely is Feeblemind?

Maybe old age affliction chance is proportional to
({current age}-{beginning of old age})/{beginning of old age}?
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road

Calmon, that last test was interesting. Can you do the same with death 3 and growth 3?
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:06 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

The initial rate of old age afflictions is based on maxage and maxage only. Maxage is the start of the old age.
Every pick of Death magic gives a chance of preventing an old age affliction, and I understand high-enough Death makes you immune to old age afflictions.
Rejuvenation, or the ability to heal your own afflictions, migth help prevent afflictions, or it might just increase maxage; I'm not sure.

EDIT: Just to be sure, I requested magicless Crones to be tested because they are always old, and have maxage 500.
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sheap is on a distinguished road

We know that Death reduces chance of getting affliction, but I think the impact of Fire and Nature is purely on the maxage. The impact of Nature is much greater, each point increases maxage by 50% of its original value, whereas each point of Fire reduces maxage by 5. I doubt, but have no evidence, that Nature and Fire impact the chance of affliction once you are old.
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sheap said:
We know that Death reduces chance of getting affliction, but I think the impact of Fire and Nature is purely on the maxage. The impact of Nature is much greater, each point increases maxage by 50% of its original value, whereas each point of Fire reduces maxage by 5. I doubt, but have no evidence, that Nature and Fire impact the chance of affliction once you are old.
Fire lowers maxage by 2 for humans (with maxage 50). I think someone has mentioned it lowers maxage by 5 for longer-lived beings. I think Nature always increases maxage by 25 per pick.
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

Another test to compare different old age characters:

- Crone (Death 1, Old Age 500, 9 HP)
- Arch Theurg (Air 1, Water 1, Astral 4, Some Random Magic (no death/nature), Old Age 50, 8 HP)
- Warlock (Astral 2, Blood 3, Random Magic (No death/nature), Old Age 35, 13 HP)
- Anathemant Salamander (Fire 2, Holy 2, Old Age 33, 13 HP)
- Grand Master (Fire 3, Astral 2, Random Magic (No death/nature), Holy 2, Old Age 44, 8 HP)
- Augur Elder (Fire 2, Death 2, Random Magic (no nature), Old Age 44, 9 HP)

All scales set to normal, here are the results:

Turn 13: 100 Crone, 100 Arch Theurg, 100 Warlock, 100 Anathemant Salamander, 100 Grand Master, 100 Augur Elder
Turn 25: 91 Crone, 85 Arch Theurg, 86 Warlock, 87 Anathemant Salamander, 84 Grand Master, 97 Augur Elder
Turn 37: 86 Crone, 71 Arch Theurg, 65 Warlock, 71 Anathemant Salamander, 73 Grand Master, 93 Augur Elder
Turn 49: 80 Crone, 65 Arch Theurg, 48 Warlock, 55 Anathemant Salamander, 62 Grand Master, 90 Augur Elder
Turn 61: 73 Crone, 53 Arch Theurg, 39 Warlock, 44 Anathemant Salamander, 50 Grand Master, 85 Augur Elder
Turn 73: 67 Crone, 48 Arch Theurg, 32 Warlock, 33 Anathemant Salamander, 43 Grand Master, 83 Augur Elder
Turn 85: 61 Crone, 44 Arch Theurg, 24 Warlock, 23 Anathemant Salamander, 37 Grand Master, 80 Augur Elder
Turn 97: 57 Crone, 34 Arch Theurg, 21 Warlock, 21 Anathemant Salamander, 30 Grand Master, 77 Augur Elder
Turn 109: 55 Crone, 28 Arch Theurg, 21 Warlock, 18 Anathemant Salamander, 25 Grand Master, 75 Augur Elder
Turn 121: 47 Crone, 24 Arch Theurg, 19 Warlock, 13 Anathemant Salamander, 22 Grand Master, 70 Augur Elder

Afflictions:
Turn 13: 19 afflicted Crone, 29 afflicted Arch Theurg, 34 afflicted Warlock, 26 afflicted Anathemant Salamander, 25 afflicted Grand Master, 13 afflicted Augur Elder

Turn 121: 13 non-afflicted Crone, 4 non-afflicted Arch Theurg, 1 non-afflicted Warlock, 1 non-afflicted Anathemant Salamander, 6 non-afflicted Grand Master, 20 non-afflicted Augur Elder

The low Old Age Entry Date of the Warlock and Anathemant Salamander didn't let them survive for long. Equal results like the Anathemant dragons in the former test. Warlocks without any Fire Magic die the same way. So only the Old Age counts.

The Arch Theurgs are like the Philosophers, no significant difference. Holy, etc. don't have any effect.

The Grand Masters are between the Arch Teurs and the Warlocks/Anathemants.

The Augur Elders have the same Death 2 like the Grand Thaumaturgs (+ random death). 70 survided compared with 79 Grand Thaumaturgs. Old Age 44 (instead 50) may be the difference.

The old age of 500 didn't give the crones a visible bonus. The 47 survived Crones seems normal for a death 1 unit.
So a crone with an age of 697 coming in the game has a very big chance of dieing on old age within 10 years gametime. How they went so old outsite the game?
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

The old age of 500 didn't give the crones a visible bonus. The 47 survived Crones seems normal for a death 1 unit.
So a crone with an age of 697 coming in the game has a very big chance of dieing on old age within 10 years gametime. How they went so old outsite the game?

This looks like a bug to me:
If the %-tage for afflictions is supposed to be based on the age threshold, than those crones should only get very few afflictions, and even fewer should get diseased?!

Could you please test some death-1 mages with normal lifespan, old and not-old when bought?

Old December 6th, 2006, 01:47 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

> This looks like a bug to me:
> If the %-tage for afflictions is supposed to be based on the age threshold, than those crones should only get very few afflictions, and even fewer should get diseased?!

Agreed.
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Corporal

curtadams is on a distinguished road

I don't think any more testing is necessary to confirm that bug. Crones have a lifespan 10x that of anything else on the chart. If lifespan helped in any meaningful way they'd have outlived the Augur Elders. FWIW, when I played EA Tien Chi with a growth scale (sorry, forgot the details) my Celestial Masters (Old at something like 220) still picked up afflictions at a good clip.