.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Private

Martock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Long Campaign edit?

Ya, I was browsing through the forum and came across a thread detailing the ways a unit can get experience. Always good to have it reconfirmed. I wasn't aware that a unit could get experience above 100.
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Private

Zinegata is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
To tell the truth i've never finished a campaign against the AI.
After 10 or so battles units become elite and there is less challenge.
The AI stays the same and no experince gain between battles but puts more units in play to compensate and soon it's much like a turkey shoot and that gets somewhat old.
Some of the hardest and fun battles IMO are the first few ones.
Yes the experiece gets so good it becomes silly, the thing to do is sell them off. After half a dozen battles just replace them. I do with everything though used to keep my FOOs but you never get one with 0.4 call time in a regular battle so why would you in a campaign. If you want to make things a bit easier keep your Company Cos so rallying is better across the board to represent a battle hardened force.
Or you can do an "Iron Man" campaign where you don't save/load whenever a unit is killed. Even elite units will get killed eventually by a lucky shot or two, and you'd need to train new replacements

My original Polish Long Campaign (1939-1945) featured two tank crews out of five that managed to survived from Sep 1939 (!), fought all the way through Norway, North Africa, and finally the Falaise gap. Both had several tanks shot out from under them, and had a pretty godly level of armor skill (Over 100 I think) and over a hundred kills apiece. It was kinda neat seeing those two survive the whole war, although the top tank ace in the platoon (147 kills I think) was a tanker who joined my force in Norway.

Squads tend to die less often though. Of my 12 or so rifle squads, 9 of the originals survived. Two were wiped out during the Polish Campaign, while the third died leading the company in an epic (and successful!) bayonet charge against an entire Italian battalion sometime in 1941.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Private

Martock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinegata View Post
Or you can do an "Iron Man" campaign where you don't save/load whenever a unit is killed. Even elite units will get killed eventually by a lucky shot or two, and you'd need to train new replacements...
I pretty much follow the same way of playing. I only reboot when I screw up my movement. I hate it when I think I've activated a particular unit but am in fact still on another unit. That mostly tends to happen when I have a bunch of units occupying the same square.

Apart from that, I just let things roll as the turn processes. My 4th battle in my LC as Germany had me assault the Poles. I put my entire force on the lower half of the screen and then rushed through and came from behind. It worked brilliantly but I lost a lot of experienced tanks and 2 of my 4 88's. Still, it's part of the game and ya just got to roll with it. I just hate it when I screw up the movement by clicking on the wrong unit.
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM

Private

Zinegata is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinegata View Post
Or you can do an "Iron Man" campaign where you don't save/load whenever a unit is killed. Even elite units will get killed eventually by a lucky shot or two, and you'd need to train new replacements...
I pretty much follow the same way of playing. I only reboot when I screw up my movement. I hate it when I think I've activated a particular unit but am in fact still on another unit. That mostly tends to happen when I have a bunch of units occupying the same square.
For my original Polish LC I also allowed reloads for "oops, wrong unit moved" goofs but in the new ones I've also given his up. Resulted in a lot of needless deaths, but I think I'm beginning to be mor careful about making sure I picked the right unit.

Quote:
Apart from that, I just let things roll as the turn processes. My 4th battle in my LC as Germany had me assault the Poles. I put my entire force on the lower half of the screen and then rushed through and came from behind. It worked brilliantly but I lost a lot of experienced tanks and 2 of my 4 88's. Still, it's part of the game and ya just got to roll with it. I just hate it when I screw up the movement by clicking on the wrong unit.
Yeah, the nice thing about the Ironman challenge is re-training your new guys with the older guys "watching out" for the new ones. Of course, it can vary from army to army. In my Soviet campaigns I tended to start forgetting the identities of individual units and just say "SEND IN THE NEXT WAVE!"