.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 5th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Private

Martock is on a distinguished road
Default Long Campaign edit?

I'd like to know if it's possible to edit the long campaign to that I can play from '39 to '46 or longer. While I can just generate a simple campaign, that only allows me to select 3 opponents that's dull. I'd like to play a 'what if' scenario that has WWII ending in late 46 or even in '49. Is this possible?
Old August 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Long Campaign edit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martock View Post
I'd like to know if it's possible to edit the long campaign to that I can play from '39 to '46 or longer. While I can just generate a simple campaign, that only allows me to select 3 opponents that's dull. I'd like to play a 'what if' scenario that has WWII ending in late 46 or even in '49. Is this possible?
The WW2 Long Campaign is based on the historical events of WW2. Therefore some sort of "what-if" is quite naturally entirely impossible in any form of scripted format, since it did not happen in the first place. I cannot write the hundreds of lines of C++ for the script of some alt-WW2 that has no documented time-line.

The game ends in 1946 - so there is no way to play to 49.

Andy
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Private

Oh well that stinks. Thanks for letting me know.
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

To tell the truth i've never finished a campaign against the AI.
After 10 or so battles units become elite and there is less challenge.
The AI stays the same and no experince gain between battles but puts more units in play to compensate and soon it's much like a turkey shoot and that gets somewhat old.
Some of the hardest and fun battles IMO are the first few ones.
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

What is it with this fascination for extending the war, seems to appeal to a lot of people & I cant realy see why as it becomes lopsided. Simplifying things & forgeting things like oil & the A-bomb Germany does not stand a chance.
At the start of the war they had superior tactics compared to there opponents. By the end this was gone even the USA with its late entry learnt fast as they did in the Pacific. On the whole Germany had better or equal equipment for the fist half of the war but again the Allies caught up & by the end were on a reasonably even footing. So if it contines Germany is fighting a tacticaly equal opponent greatly outnumbered & they are going to face having inferior equipment to boot as the Allies continue producing better stuff. The vehcles available in MBT would just have appeared in some form earlier driven by the continued war effort & the heavies that were made would have been more prolific if there was a need for them. As in something to shoot at other than infantry which Shermans & the like did well enough. The only reason I can see for wanting it extended is to give the Allies an easy ride in any theatre unless you rewrote the war from 1/3rd in which now makes most of the stuff in the game what ifs.
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Private

I don't imagine I'll end up finishing a long campaign either but maybe I will. I've done it in the past quite often, though that was years ago. Still I had hopes it was just a simple file change as opposed to many lines of programming.
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
What is it with this fascination for extending the war, seems to appeal to a lot of people & I cant realy see why as it becomes lopsided.
I'll give the answer that helps sustain may closely held beliefs and religions the world over.
Just cuz.
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
To tell the truth i've never finished a campaign against the AI.
After 10 or so battles units become elite and there is less challenge.
The AI stays the same and no experince gain between battles but puts more units in play to compensate and soon it's much like a turkey shoot and that gets somewhat old.
Some of the hardest and fun battles IMO are the first few ones.
Yes the experiece gets so good it becomes silly, the thing to do is sell them off. After half a dozen battles just replace them. I do with everything though used to keep my FOOs but you never get one with 0.4 call time in a regular battle so why would you in a campaign. If you want to make things a bit easier keep your Company Cos so rallying is better across the board to represent a battle hardened force.
The Following User Says Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Private

I thought that if a unit was wounded enough that it's experience levels would suffer? That would make sense given new recruits would be brought in to replace lost ones. Is that even modeled in this game?
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM

General

Think it does but not enough to offset the gains, pure guess but think works as follows from least to most gain.
Takes part
Fired at
Fires damages unit or kills a man
Kills a unit.

So assume if damaged as above losing a man hurts a bit but its gained the first 2 bonuses anyway so if it can do a bit of damage to it will still gain.
Pure speculation on my part, gaining experience to 70 should be pretty quick & to elite again moderatly fast but after that it should go to a crawl which is in my view were the problem is. Once they reach 100 & boosted morale absolutly deadly, 130 becomes plain silly Rambo style. Not only are they marginaly more accurate they have kevlar vests & spot other units with ease, the only thing you have to watch is ammo as have loads of shots. Of course the game is not setup for them as I dont think you would ever see a 100 exp unit in a regular battle.