.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yomi Pretender design and general MP Strategy

Yah Jurri pretty much hit the nail on the head. Also I should point out, don't forget both oni commanders come with wolves. Not much but it's still nice to tie up the infantry for a turn.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:30 AM

Private

smu666ler is on a distinguished road

Wow thanks Jurri for the extensive guide with tons of valuable info. This is exactly the thing I needed to get me started.

My pretender god is sent, I can't tell you exactly what I decided to use, but maybe I will keep a not-too-roleplayish log of the game which might turn out as an interesting AAR in the end - one from the eyes of the newbee

btw when I searched for a good name for a god of Oni or the ruler of Yomi (which is a Japanese equivalent of Greek Hades and to some extent Hell) I learned a lot about the Japanese folklore and mythology through a chain of articles on Wiki. Funny how games can inspire you to learn something new sometimes.

This topic turned out as quite a good guide for playing Yomi in the end. =) I am even starting to like them since it is so challenging to bring them to their full potential, it doesn't come right out of the box like for some races.

Cheers!
Marko
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:16 AM

Private

Hey, I have another question - death gems - I think I have and will have more then I need - should I offer a trade for more needed earth gems (for forging helmets and armors for all the dai oni) ? If not what should I use them for ...

other than that everything is proceeding as planned =)
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM

First Lieutenant

FAJ is on a distinguished road

Ghost generals are worth the cost. You can never have enough death gems as Yomi I find. Even if it is just handing a few out for shadow blast.
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Private

Yeah you are probably right =) I remember when I had a second SP tryout a few days ago. I took Misfortune 2 and on second turn I got a ghost general random event (if that is the same guy as the summon), he was awesome. Too bad it didn't hapen in MP =) But I guess I can always summon them myself ...
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM

Sergeant

CyborgMoses is on a distinguished road

What do you find Ghost Generals to be particularly useful for?
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:42 PM

First Lieutenant

FAJ is on a distinguished road

Maybe I am thinking of a different spell.

I am thinking of the ethereal samurai dude. I like them as thugs because I don't really have to equip them. They hold up enemies so my Dai Oni don't come into contact with anyone before they are done casting their buffs. They stop casting buffs when they come into contact with even chaff troops.

That, and they are undead, so darkness won't affect them.
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:58 AM

Private

I think that it's the same guy as from the spell. The green etherial samurai dude - fits the description perfectly =) he is pretty cool as a thug like you said, and is undead (and can lead magical beings) with leadership 120,if I am not mistaken, so having him as a commander of your hordes is nothing to sneaze at ...
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Sergeant

CyborgMoses is on a distinguished road

Huh! I was expecting the high leadership to be part of it, but hadn't thought of using them as linebackers. Thanks for the tips.
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Captain

Jurri is on a distinguished road

Ah, death gems are the best! Here are some uses you might consider with Yomi:
-Horror helmets! The Dai Oni appreciate helmets, and the gems you have the most are death gems. (The added fear should rout your enemies even quicker, too.) Of course the 5 gem helmets from earth or nature would be more economical, but work with what you got.
-Black Bow of Botulf. These are way evil items, that can cripple most any thug/SC. Indeed, it would seem to me that none of the usual protections apply: mirror image, high-parry shield, high protection and air shield all have seemingly failed to prevent this from working in a very small test me and Ygorl did in a game. This could be the very best item in the game, in fact, for the research/gem cost and unstoppable power.
-Summon Spectre used to be great... I'm not sure what magics they can get in Dom3, but if they can get astral they would be very useful indeed, despite the cost.
-Manifestation is an excellent high-conjuration spell. It's pretty hard to cast, but well worth making a couple boosters for.
-Lichcraft gives you D4-mages. Give them a Skull Staff, and you have Ghost Riders -capacity for a reasonable price. As you can see, this is very late game indeed. Give 'em a couple more boosters and start making Tartarians while you're at it Dai Oni with a death random can also be used for these purposes, so get Construction 8 and Conjuration 9 before Enchantment 8 for the demiliches.

Hmm, well, as you can see death gems are very much geared towards late game, at least in my strategies, with the important exceptions of the few items. Skull talismans are great on assassins, but Yomi doesn't have those. You can never have enough death gems once you can make liches, so just stockpiling them is a good idea. In fact, stockpiling them until you get Conjuration 8 and blowing them on a reinforced Well of Misery is not a bad idea at all. (You'll need a death-random Dai Oni, and a Skull Staff and a Skullface, so construction 6 first, though.)

The already-mentioned Ghost Generals are decent enough, but you're probably more limited by your items than thug-chassises; I should think you won't have your pretender and all your Dai Oni equipped very soon anyways, and they make for better thugs than the Ghost Generals would.

In Dom2 I loved Pale Riders, but sadly, in Dom3 it just doesn't cut it, I think. The same with Reanimate archers: these guys are rather useful archers, but they are just too expensive to make in the new economy. At least, in my opinion.