.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default OT: The might of Pen & Paper

I just read the blog post by S.R.Krol on the 4th edition D&D (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/blog.php?b=391) and thought about that the dom3 game might especially attract the Pen & Paper types. The intrest in the Chronicle games seems to support this.

So I think that one could have a fruitful discussion on these games here, considering the (relatively high) maturity of users on these forums.

I'm currently fully enjoying GM'ing Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, which is a lot better system than it sounds. The writers have really succeeded on bringing the cliche-tastic warhammer world to live and it bears no liking to the other low-quality license stuff (the WoW rpg for example) out there.

I simply fell in love with the system when I read the "monster manual" for it. 90% of it was pure fluff, just thematic writings and backround with 0% of rules (and they keep this up on the rest of books). That was simply awesome! I really hated the D&D monster manuals for just endlessly listing statistics for absolutely ridicilous amounts (& qualities) of monsters. 1 monster with a nice backround is always better than simple 4 stat blocks.

But it seems that current group will eventually dissolve as we go on our separate ways to the numereous Finnish universities, so I might be picking up some new games at sometime in the future. WRFP is awesome, but one of my players will taking all the books with him and I don't have the money to replenish my library. Any recommendations for good Pen & Paper games?

I've also been amusing myself with the idea of Dom3 Pen & Paper system, but I lack the time & test players for that kind of project. Dom3 with somewhat expanded lore could be an absolutely fantastic setting. Something like 3-5 years before the ascension wars would be good. Pantakrator is waning in power, mayhem is in the air and the ancients monsters are awakening, sensing that their time has come.
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: The might of Pen & Paper

I've played about one RPG session. I've tried GMing a bit, but it didn't work out too well. I might try to get people interested in autumn, but since I'd like to play (and see what a good GM would be like) that might not amount to anything.
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM

Sergeant

coobe is on a distinguished road

i would love to play p&p, even thought about starting with DnD 4th, but i simply dont have the money and no players in my area
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

I own WFRP core book, have only GM'ed a couple sessions though. It has both great and poor sides, I especially like the class progression where you actually take a trade and advance instead of some concept. On the poor side, all the mechanics really rub it on that you're playing a RP version of a tabletop wargame.

Just came back home from a session where we created new characters for this year's traditional summercampaign, Conan d20 by Mongoose this time. It appears promising, as it's basically DnD 3.5 edition without those damned magic users and ever prevalent magic items. Still gotta wonder whether we all end playing the second fiddle to the party's raging barbarian, but hey, at least it would be thematical this time. I DM'ed a 4th ed DnD campaign last year, it is not for the serious games but has its good sides.

Dunno about recommendations. Paranoia's always good for laughs, and actually that Finnish rpg Stalker seemed pretty interesting. Haven't played it though.
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

coobe, you're a student. There are players in your vicinity. With utmost certainty.
Emergency comic relief
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Sergeant

lch is alive ? i though you got abducted by alien life forms

im at a redneck university, i dont think there are any players...
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

Usually there are, though at least some university gaming groups are a bit... strange.

At least I didn't join my Uni's group because of the vibes I got from few of the regulars. But they're worth checking out, anyway.

I personally restarted rpgs only after finding like-minded people at work. Has worked fine, thus far.
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM

Sergeant

even if there are, i still dont have the money (and the time besides studying)
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM

First Lieutenant

PsiSoldier is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive played or actually rather GM'd for the pen and paper Shadowrun rpg which was pretty awesome. Thats been about 15 years ago and I dont know anyone who does those anymore since I lost contact with everyone when I went into the military a while back. I still have about 8 source books for it and they are fun to read just for the hell of it.

A Dominions RPG might would be pretty neat. I have actually started writing a Fantasy Novel that takes heavy inspiration from Dominions (or at least certain parts that I still have planned do). Although Ive hit a bit of a stump and haven't written anything for a while. I was trying to get my cousin to read it for me and give me feedback but like a typical 13 year old he isn't interested in reading books and my adopted brother can barely read so he's of no use. Of course all books about writing novels that I have read say don't let people read your rough draft anyways because they will undoubtedly say bad stuff about it and get you down but Ive never been one to wait for that lol..
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I have read, Dominions had part of its inspiration from pen and paper rpgs, example: vis in the files as the name for gems?

I think Dominions has more overlap with other board games, such as Warhammer (and other stuff I have no experience at_all with).

Dominions would be workable as a setting, for instance, someone tried to create DnD4e races based on Dominions here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Redeyes For This Useful Post: