.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: design just ONE province

If you had a province with regular units, say Blood Druids, and lesser horrors, would the lesser horrors attack the Blood Druids?

What I was thinking was: your army just walked in on a failed Summons. There'd be an immobile monolith Pretender chassis, surrounded by several Blood Druids and a bunch of lesser horrors, and you'd think "oh no! they're going to eat my army!" except that the horrors start eating the blood druids and attacking the monolith-turning what might otherwise be a fairly tough encounter into a fiasco for the enemy and an easier encounter for you.

Last edited by HoneyBadger; August 26th, 2008 at 02:33 PM..
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:05 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
If you had a province with regular units, say Blood Druids, and lesser horrors, would the lesser horrors attack the Blood Druids?

What I was thinking was: your army just walked in on a failed Summons. There'd be an immobile monolith Pretender chassis, surrounded by several Blood Druids and a bunch of lesser horrors, and you'd think "oh no! they're going to eat my army!" except that the horrors start eating the blood druids and attacking the monolith-turning what might otherwise be a fairly tough encounter into a fiasco for the enemy and an easier encounter for you.
It might work if the Blood Druids had horror marks. It would have to be tested, though. Some non-unique, horror-marking items:
Lifelong Protection, Crystal Sphere, Lightless Lantern, Robe of the Magi. The Robe would be very useful if it's found, so perhaps a single normal-sized Horror should be added.

Last edited by Endoperez; August 26th, 2008 at 03:11 PM..
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM

General

Maybe Lifelong Protection, since the imp spam would be a nice cover fire, giving the Blood Druids time enough to be eaten by the Horrors. A regular Horror would work too, I just don't want Doom Horrors present.

Also, it might be fun to have a 'Stonehenge' province with just 9 immobile Monolith-chassis Pretenders present. They don't start off with much magic, so it wouldn't be overpowerful, just difficult to take out because of their resistances.

For that matter, a Sphinx province would be fun, with a single Sphinx modified to produce Mummies in combat. Maybe equip the Sphinx with a ring of regeneration and an amulet of MR to make it all the harder to take out. The province could also include a smallish force of horsearchers, as guardians *against* the Sphinx and it's mummies, ala "The Mummy" (one of my favorite movies).
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM

General

Couple of ideas-hopefully funny, as opposed to over-powered:

'Land of the Blind'
Plains province: This consists of 12 cyclopes, each equipped with one of the 'Eye' artifacts (so they're blind), and a Hammer of the Mountains. They're led by another cyclops modified to wear a crown, to have 100% Darkvision, and to cast 'Darkness' at the beginning of battle.

2 'Grave of the Ancestors': This is a mountain province containing a single giant head Pretender (as per Mictlan-I forget their names). The giant head Pretender is modified with a Secondform, so that if it's destroyed, it turns into an Ancestral Spirit (as per the Tien'Chi national). This Ancestral Spirit is furthermore modified to produce more Ancestral Spirits, which are themselves modified to produce Ancestral Spirit-producing Ancestral Spirits. The province itself contains 4 Graveyard magic sites.

Thirdly, I'd like to see a forest province named 'Bel'Shamharoth', that would consist of an independent Temple, an 'Ancient Temple' magical site, a group of icthytosians-some modified to have Holy/Blood magic, a handful of bloodslaves, and an Ancient Kraken (named Bel'Shamharoth) with 8 levels in Astral magic, equipped with an amulet of the fish and a ring of regeneration, modified to have only 1 eye (not disabled, just modified in this manner from the standard Ancient Kraken).

So you'd have:
64 blood slaves, just milling around
48 regular Icthys,
32 armoured Icthys, as guards
16 Icthy captains (these might be equipped with Stingers to give some magic weapon support, but it's unnecessary)
8 Icthy captains modified to have 2 Holy magic and 1 Blood magic,
and the ancient kraken itself.

A challenge, admittedly, but not something that would require an alliance of several late-game Nations, I wouldn't think. And a fun Terry Pratchet reference.
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

In reference to the horrors, in Amos' horror scourge mod I noticed that my horrors would attack each other when I used them together. My theory is that horrors will always attack all units on the battlefield. Of course, giving units horror marks would make the horrors go after them first.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Some interesting ideas but unfortunately modifications of units falls into mods, and is not possible by the map commands we can use here. Basically we can only place things already in the game (sites, units, equipment), name things, and decide which units are gods/commanders/troops/bodyguards.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:26 PM

General

Well, I have a thought that might get you more "business", as it were. I can't currently look at the names of actual Provinces on the Dom 3 maps, but I know there were some really evocative ones-ones that I've been drawn to take over, just because the Province name made me wonder what was there. If you were to list a selection of those, say half a dozen at a time, and ask people to match the names up with what they think should go there, it might help motivate and inspire people to come up with ideas, since it would give a starting point (and also, allow them to recognise Provinces they themselves have found familiar and/or interesting).

The 'Land of the Blind' (should read 'Country of the Blind', by the way, but I can't edit it any longer) can work just fine as it currently is, if you just ignore the modding suggestions. Same thing with the 'Bel'Shamharoth' Province. I made up both of those before I thought of ideas to mod them. The icthy priests could be replaced by Atlantis priests, or some other suitably "fishy" units.

As far as the 'Grave of the Ancestors', you could replace the single giant head with maybe 3-6 of them, and give each one a skelly spammer amulet, and maybe a MR amulet, too.
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
The 'Land of the Blind' (should read 'Country of the Blind', by the way, but I can't edit it any longer) can work just fine as it currently is, if you just ignore the modding suggestions.
Perhaps "Cave of the Blind", in Cave terrain, in an underground castle. That way you get Darkness without having to mod anything. IIRC cave castles cause darkness but normal caves don't. I think the King inside should have Eye Shield. :P

You could put a host of mechanical men, enlivened statues and such defending the outside of the castle, with another blind Cyclops and an Iron Dragon and perhaps some Troll Kings or something leading them, so that the whole defending force doesn't evaporate with just two deaths.
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM

General

All those things would be good, Endoperez, but they'd also make the provinces quite a bit more powerful than is really necessary. I think Gandalf wants some lighter weight independents-things that make sense that they'd be there, or are fun and interesting, but don't take a late-game alliance to beat.
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
All those things would be good, Endoperez, but they'd also make the provinces quite a bit more powerful than is really necessary. I think Gandalf wants some lighter weight independents-things that make sense that they'd be there, or are fun and interesting, but don't take a late-game alliance to beat.
There'd be one army outside the castle, and a second inside it. The outside forces would be mechanical men and such; they are tough, but that's not too bad when the battle isn't fought under darkness. The Cyclops would be inside the castle, just like in your original idea.