This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 9th, 2000, 01:02 AM

Corporal

PurpleRhino is on a distinguished road
Default AI Question

Just wondering if there is any chance that we will get a robust scripted AI? What I would really like to see would be more like an actual script (PERL). Just give us a list of parameters and commands and let us have it! That way we could create a more 'intelligent' AI, one that can respond to specific situations. I realize this could be a major rewrite... (I write scripts, not programs) but it could fix most peoples' complaints. And if you think about it, it could make creating custom scenarios really interesting. Right now the AI 'scripts' are OK, but don't cover enough of massive area available... granted I've yet to see an AI really even come close.
Also, if people see this as a rant... your wrong. I'm just stating what I would LIKE to see. I love the game and was waiting probably close to two year for it to come out. Like most people, I see a HUGE potential for greatness... I want to see it attain that potential and, if I can, help get it to that point.
Anyway I'm done now...
-PR
Old December 9th, 2000, 01:15 AM

Corporal

Courageous is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI Question

I'd prefer the ability to replace a .dll with a published API. One possible .dll replacement, of course, would be one that simply sublets the .dll interface to scripts written in any scripting language. Note that perl will slow down AI processing DRAMATICALLY. Doing it in c or cpp would be much more efficient. Hence the .dll.

C//